Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank god for this community. I need help! I should start by saying that I have a 2013 2.4L, 4x4, 5 speed manual transmission. A few weeks ago, my transmission took a huge crap. I was driving home, and noticed a whining noise coming from my Patriot. It just happened mid drive out of nowhere. The tranny was shifting fine, and it wasn't in limp mode, so I wasn't too worried. I finished my drive home, and did some research. Since it was driving fine, I figured maybe it was just the alternator going out. No biggie. Well, the next day, I was going to have it checked out, and BANG! I backed out of my driveway, and shifted into gear. The second I took my foot off of the clutch, it made a loud noise. I thought, okay, maybe this is the sign of the tranny going out. I'll just take it around the block, and see if it drives good enough to get it to the shop. Well, when I got back to my starting point, I saw a fresh trail of fluid, and decided I should park it. I took the shroud off, so I could get a look at things, and noticed my transmission had a hole in it!

Since the case is toast, it's been hard to find someone to replace it. My lowest bid so far is 4k... I figured I'd just do it myself, but I'm having a hard time finding the part. Is there any chance that y'all can give me a hand? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,150 Posts
You might be able to swap in a 2WD manual (more common and cheaper) with a little work:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Weld it

·
Registered
199 Posts
Agree with weld it. Didn't happen on a Patriot but my dad holed his case on something and it was repaired by weld.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm looking into shops that can weld my case. It's a bit tricky, since it's aluminum, but shops are out there.

·
Registered
65 Posts
IMO welding that hole is not good option. Did you ever see the movie "Alien" when they brake through there host stomach? Well an alien broke out of your transmission and plugging the hole is not going to fix the damage inside. Your best bet is to find a used transmission at a junk yard and you might have to drive a long way to find one. Some junk yards will also offer delivery for a fee.

·
Registered
65 Posts
google search for "car-part.com" that is where i go to find junk yard parts. lots of junk yards all over the country use this site.

·
7,689 Posts
A repair is a lot cheaper than a replacement. If the repair isn't the remedy then its time for the big bucks, but I'd start with the cheap option first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I
IMO welding that hole is not good option. Did you ever see the movie "Alien" when they brake through there host stomach? Well an alien broke out of your transmission and plugging the hole is not going to fix the damage inside.
Haha, yeah I've seen it. I would only have the case welded, so it could be rebuilt. That's the problem I'm having. It can't be rebuilt, and nobody will accept it as a core in its current state.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts