Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Jeep Patriot sport. Went to the gas station put jeep in park position got gas, turned the car back on put in drive position and it would not move then, finally got the shifter to move to the park position but said in neutral. Now the shifter is stuck in that park position and won't move even though the indicator says it's in neutral. Now my battery has gone dead. I'm on Social Security and can't afford a new transmission or have it towed anywhere. Need help!

·
Super Moderator
5,643 Posts
I don't know how much this will help you, but here are a couple of videos showing how to over-ride the shifter lock mechanism:

If the tab is stuck, this way might work:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was able to get the shifter to move by doing what is said from the video that was provided but it locks back up and indicator never comes out of neutral. Try to pull the side panel away to view the complete set-up of shifter cable. is there a video of in detail showing how it all connects. Or is my transmission shot completely. Being a woman and 63 this is not easy for me.

·
Super Moderator
5,643 Posts
Since you were able to move the gear selector in the cabin by using the over-ride, I'm thinking perhaps a nut in the shift mechanism under the hood has come loose and the cable is no longer connected to the shifter lever or the shifter lever is no longer secured to the manual shaft on the transmission.

Below is a pic of the top of the transmission with the battery and air cleaner box removed. I'm not sure how much you'll be able to see, but try to see if you can tell if the shifter cable is still connected to the shifter lever, and the shifter lever is still secured to the transmission manual shaft, which is what the nut screws on to.

If the mechanism is still properly connected together, the shifter cable and shifter lever should move when the gear selector in the cabin is moved.

Here is another image of the shifter lever (#2) and the nut that secures it to the manual shaft of the transmission:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ran into same problem! Very common on Jeep Patriot and Compass. Most likely linkage has come free at shifter. Your gonna need shifting bushing replacement. You can order a Shift Linkage Repair Kit for here:

And to complete job, I found this video to assist, “2007-2008 Jeep Compass and Patriot Shifter Bushing Replacement at the shifter” on YouTube:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ran into same problem! Very common on Jeep Patriot and Compass. Most likely linkage has come free at shifter. Your gonna need shifting bushing replacement. You can order a Shift Linkage Repair Kit for here:

And to complete job, I found this video to assist, “2007-2008 Jeep Compass and Patriot Shifter Bushing Replacement at the shifter” on YouTube:

Go USCG!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check rear brake led lamp on upside. Its not joke)) if this lamp damaged transmission stuck in park position and doesnt work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts