Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it too late to have my transmission fluid flushed and changed at 127,000 miles? My Jeep is whining when I accelerate. I bought it in 2017 at 90k miles and have not flushed trans fluids. I was afraid to at that high of mileage and now I am concerned. Thank you for your time and answers.

·
Administrator
8,545 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum.

Unless it's the trail rated FDII model ("L Off Road" on shifter) then you have the six speed automatic.

The fluid can be drained and refilled, but the filter isn't serviceable without at least partial disassembly.

If you're not sure which you have, you can use the VIN to get a factory build sheet that will tell you.

If you do have the FDII you can do a fluid drain / re-fill (machine flush isn't necessary) and change both filters any time, but if the fluid and filters have never been changed before there's a chance that mechanical damage has been done and a fluid and filter service unfortunately won't repair it.

·
Administrator
8,545 Posts
Also, sometimes things that are "belt driven" like the A/C, etc. can cause a whine that's sometimes mistaken for the transmission.
So if you hear a whine while in Park and revving the engine, or the sound seems to come from the passenger side it might not be the transmission.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
On other forums I visit, especially Bobistheoilguy, opinions vary widely about doing a first tranny fluid change at higher mileage. Lots of anecdotal myths exist, in my opinion.

- Some claim that they changed their fluid at high mileage, then a short time later the transmission died, blaming it on the fluid change. Many feel that the tranny was probably already going out and this is just coincidence (my belief).

- Some think that removing all of the wear particulates in the old fluid will affect transmission performance. Many/most say phooey to that. Trannies have computers that adjust to their conditions. Transmission performance is not dependent on the amount of particulates in the old fluid.

- Some claim that a first change at high mileage might dislodge gunk that will clog a tiny passage. This "might" have a hint of possibility, but that gunk might dislodge at any point, old or new fluid.
.......................... -This leads some to believe that it is better to do a partial change (drain & fill - gets about 1/2 +/-) vs. doing a near 100% machine exchange (not power flush) ............................to more gently let any gunk to dissolve. This "might" have some merit, in my opinion. Lots of opinions about partial change vs. total exchange.

FYI to all, the T-Tech type machines do NOT power flush the tranny. They are simply bladders/pistons that use the vehicle's own transmission pump to "exchange" the fluid - old fluid out, new fluid in.

MY opinion is that tranny fluid breaks down and is not lifetime. I believe it is best to change that fluid, even if you are above 100,000 miles. I've done 2 full exhanges on mine in the first 90,000 miles. In your situation I think I would do the partial drain and fill now, and repeat in 5 to 15 thousand +/-. Others will chime in with opinions - it would help if we know which transmission you have.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Is it too late to have my transmission fluid flushed and changed at 127,000 miles? My Jeep is whining when I accelerate. I bought it in 2017 at 90k miles and have not flushed trans fluids. I was afraid to at that high of mileage and now I am concerned. Thank you for your time and answers.
Hi, Melanie. If you don't find the answers you're looking for from the other forum members, we would suggest bringing this to the attention of a dealership. Let us know if you need help to find one to work with.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Unless it's the trail rated FDII model ("L Off Road" on shifter) then you have the six speed automatic.

The fluid can be drained and refilled, but the filter isn't serviceable without at least partial disassembly.

If you're not sure which you have, you can use the VIN to get a factory build sheet that will tell you.

If you do have the FDII you can do a fluid drain / re-fill (machine flush isn't necessary) and change both filters any time, but if the fluid and filters have never been changed before there's a chance that mechanical damage has been done and a fluid and filter service unfortunately won't repair it.
Thank you so much for the information. My shifter does not have the markings you referred to, therefore I may have the 6. I will double check with my VIN. I greatly appreciate your help and time.

·
Registered
1 Posts

could also be a wheel bearing gone bad

·
Registered
7 Posts
Best not to flush. Have it drained and refilled with the correct Amsoil fluid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts