Jeep Patriot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bicero

I have a 2008 Pat 4x4 with 5 speed manual. It took the dealer 2 tries because no computer codes were being generated, but the mechanic hooked the scanner up to the computer port, drove the car and found codes were being generated just, for some reason, not written to the computer:

Bottom line: Throttle control unit (with sensor) replaced and the Pat runs fine.

Don't know if this is your problem, but worth looking into.
Were you too experiencing a hesitation at 2-3k rpm? I have the same thing currently with the 08 manual patriot...

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Hmm.. have never felt this at 20 mph or so, but I have noticed that it's jerky from a dead stop up to about 10 or 15 mph if you hit the accelerator in a certain way. I've learned to gently take off from a dead stop and it doesn't do it. If I really need to burn off, like when merging from a stop sign, I just take the jerkiness.

G
Jerkiness in the 25-30 mph range is not usually the transmission but rather the throttle control. Jerkiness in the dead stop up to about ten mph as you describe is usually the torque converter engaging it's clutches.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
My 11 does that same thing and it drives me crazy. I will say something when i bring it in for the next oil change. It only has 10000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Transmission Jerking

I was told at the dealer where mine is now that I needed a new transmission. The mechanic told me if you add anything other fluid that jeep recommends it will do this. He said if you add just an ounce of this it will cause this problem. The new transmission costs around $5000. I am glad that I have the warranty. Check Warranty..
Hopes this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a pretty old thread, but here I am. I have an '08 CVT 4x4 that has had one thing after another go wrong with it. In the last 6 months, I have had to replace the alternator, battery (twice), the intake manifold and fix various leaks. It overheats easily and can't be trusted on long roadtrips during warm months. It has been jerking on and off during acceleration for about a year now, but it was never constant--it would go away, come back, go away, come back. The dealership never found anything wrong with it. Now it is constantly jerking during acceleration, starting from 10 mph and continues jerking up through and during freeway speeds. I have spent years adjusting my driving style to alleviate this particular car's quirks, and it seems like nothing ever works. I have tried higher octane fuel and it made the jerks worse for some reason, but that's just probably coincidence. I will try the "re-set" trick that was mentioned in earlier posts. I'm actually thinking of trading mine in since I've had so many problems with it and get something more fuel efficient, but I love my Jeep. Stupid CVT.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same jerking/hesitating while accelerating. While rotating tires I inspected the CV shafts. Passenger side is leaking grease from the clamp. Would not be supprised if the acceleration is improved after replacing the shaft. After looking through this and other pages it seems this is a common problem. Ive got a 2012 with FD1 and the CVT and only 23,000 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jerking / front axle leak

I have a 2012 patriot limited with cvt. it has 30,000 miles and has been jerking when accelerating between 20-40 miles per hour for about 15,000 miles. (Very annoying). Also has a random hesitation when accelerating from zero. I'll push on the gas and it hesitates to go. I don't know if this is related to the jerking? I've had it in to the dealer but they couldn't figure it out. I'm going to change the plugs and run some injector cleaner through to see if it helps before I take it back to the dealer. But I had it in to get the oil changed today and they said the right front axle seal is leaking. So I'll have to look at this also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 jeep compass with 155,000 miles im on my third transmission and I is acting up again it doing the same thing feels like its slipping revs up high then drops fast I have taken it in had it looked at and narrowed it down to transmission for sure what has happened is the cvt is basicly two cones on each side with a belt that runs between them well the belt starts slipping and wears a groove into the cone so that every time the cvt hits the worn spot it slips then another problem caused by the same issue is that at slow speeds like 3 or 4 mph ther is a shaking or shuddering problem its actually metal shavings inside the transmission coating the belt making it pass over the cones uneavenly

·
Registered
1 Posts
TRANS JERKS MAKES LOUD NOISE

WHEN TRANS GETS HOT JEEP QUITS PULLING IN THE FORWARD GEAR AND STARTS BACK AFTER THE VEHICLE HAS COOLED ABOUT 5 MINUTES. ANY IDEAS WHAT COULD BE WRONG WITH IT?

·
Registered
1 Posts
07 jeep compas jerking and buckling

Hi folks, just bought 2007 Jeep Compass and having similar issue with it. It starts well runs quiet but when put in any gears and given gas it jerks and buckles. I have already changed both inner and outer transmission speed sensors. That didn't solve the problem.HELP!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Spark Plugs!

Bumping this because it fixed my transmission problem. The dealership actually replaced my entire transmission under my warranty and the jerkiness never went away. Changed the plugs and it completely fixed the issue. Thanks a lot to those suggesting it!

Note: I know nothing about cars but I stumbled upon a youtube video on how to change them. The video was great and it took me 30 minutes and cost me $30 to fix the issue entirely. It won't let me post the URL here, but it's titled "How to change replace the spark plugs on 2012 Jeep Patriot models and others. Save $$$". The video is actually great because the guy goes off on random tangents and it's hilarious-- but also helpful.

Thanks again, guys!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 jeep patriot sport 2.4L AWD, my jeep has had this jerking while driving or putting it under a load. I called the dealership to make an app. for them to check out my jeep, they had it for a few hours and said that it was the transmission and it needs to be replace. Thank god for the 100k mile powertrain warranty, they installed a new trans under warranty. The dealership is in Carson City Nv and im in Tahoe Ca., on the way home I have to drive up a steep grade, the first day with the new trans was awesome due to no jerking, but after a few weeks its started back up. bought to plugs to see if maybe its not the trans and if its spark or fuel issues, its going to be more of a self test due to im out of warranty. Has anyone found a correction to this jerking issue.. love my jeep but the jerking is getting old quick

·
Registered
606 Posts
MY Patriot has been jerking when accelerating . It seems it does it more when I drive more than an hour, and not when I do short distances. I am scheduled to get my spark plugs changed soon as they were measured recently and to the point of needing changing; although he said I could take a trip to New York if I wanted and still be fine

My neighbor is the mechanic scheduled to fix my patriot , I trust him, hes worked on my vehicles for fifteen years. He said my spark plugs look like they have a lot more miles on them than 60,000 (that's how much milage says the milometer says is on my car ) (if the dealership put the speedometer back and I find out ill be rating them very,very poorly)

On the Jeep Patriot manual if I remember correctly, it says the spark plugs need changing at 38,000 miles. MY neighbor mechanic said he didn't think they needed it, until he took them out, measured them and showed me they were wore down.

any insight, knowledge, or mistakes on anything I said above?

I am keeping my attention on the jerking while accelerating

·
7,691 Posts
Spark plugs are the usual culprit. I believe the manual says to change them at 30,000, so you're double the recommended service miles. Plugs are a cheap and easy fix so you are wise to start there.

If the problem persists consider inconsistent tire wear. If like a lot of people you buy two tires at at time instead of all four, the difference between the axles may give the ECM some confusing data.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Spark plugs are the usual culprit. I believe the manual says to change them at 30,000, so you're double the recommended service miles. Plugs are a cheap and easy fix so you are wise to start there.

If the problem persists consider inconsistent tire wear. If like a lot of people you buy two tires at at time instead of all four, the difference between the axles may give the ECM some confusing data.
Thank you.:)

The spark plugs were replaced today and my mechanic said some were worn down more than others and he maybe guessed that after 30,000 miles they were replaced with cheap spark plus. He said the ones I got, which i made sure , were for my make,model and 2.0, said were much better. It seemed to be riding better, he said if it had trouble starting it would start better. I didnt seem to have any trouble starting. I asked him when the next time to replace them and he said until you notice issues

How often have you had replace yours now that yours has 250,000 miles on it?

·
7,691 Posts
Thank you.:)

. . . I asked him when the next time to replace them and he said until you notice issues

How often have you had replace yours now that yours has 250,000 miles on it?
Don't wait too long. The last thing you need is a seized plug! Time can be as much a problem as miles.

While the recommended interval is 30,000, in reality I've gone closer to 40,000 but not more than that. More likely in the 35-38,000 range. Its something I do myself so if it comes due in the middle of winter I'll wait till spring. In all honesty I forget when I last changed them -- probably last fall. Considering my Wife and I each drive about 30,000 a year, it looks like a good bet for me to wait for the last warm day of the season -- maybe October if I'm not too busy raking leaves! I'll do both our Patriots at the same time and its off my mind for another year.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
As easy and inexpensive as it is to change the plugs--about $10 at autozone for the factory prescribed ones, and if you have all the tools figured out and layed out--the time is about 10--15 minutes. It's so easy, why wait until an issue crops up, pretend it's just like another oil change--do it for preventative maintenance rather than repair-type maintenance. I have a spare set of plugs, gapped and in my shop drawer, so when I get/feel the urge, it's there, and I don't have to trundle down to the autoparts store...good luck!

21 - 40 of 64 Posts