Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 jeep patriot limited 4x4 2.4 liter cvt transmission. Upon acceleration jeep jerks between 20 - 25 miles an hour and sometimes faster. Only happens when accelerating and feels like the transmission is missing. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Same here...

aholt57,

I have the same '07 4x4 patriot and the same acceleration jerk. I posted a while back with no responses. Any chance your passenger side cv axle assembly is slinging grease? I have plans to replace it this week, but have doubts that it is the only problem. After I clean the cv grease off of everything I was going to see if there was any sign of CVT oil leaks. To me it seems the jerking happens mainly when I'm in stop n go traffic on my commute maybe 3/4 of the way there so wondering if the CVT oil has also leaked a bit making it run hot and eventually "slip" or "jerk"???? At least there's two of us searching for the answer now. I'll pass on any info I can come up with.

-Mike

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
It's just the CVT "Hunting" for the correct ratio according to load/demand, I suspect. There are a couple ways to minimize this. 1) Use the autostick. 2) Adjust your driving style. (More or less coasting/throttle). Some guys have had some success minimizing this by re-setting the computer. My 09 still does this after 1 1/2 yrs. I just translate to a lower ratio with the autostick if it annoys me. In heavy stop and go trafrfic I use the Autostick all the time.

·
POTM Winner AUG. 09.
4,679 Posts
Try the famous " Re-set" trick ---Try the search button !! I think its under " This trick may work for you"

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
No autostick in my '07 and I've already adjusted my driving style to mitigate a bit but there's only so much coasting and slow acceleration before you get killed in I-10 traffic. Plus I want to solve the problem not treat the symptoms since I never had an issue for over 3 yrs. I guess I'll give the "reset" a shot. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
674 Posts
No autostick in my '07 and I've already adjusted my driving style to mitigate a bit but there's only so much coasting and slow acceleration before you get killed in I-10 traffic. Plus I want to solve the problem not treat the symptoms since I never had an issue for over 3 yrs. I guess I'll give the "reset" a shot. Thanks for the input!

I have a 2007 CVT but do not have this issue (29k miles). However, my Civic Hybrid has a CVT and had this problem. A CVT fluid/filter change solved the 'jerking' issue.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a 2007 CVT FDII Pat with the same problems. I am happy to hear that I am not the only one.

I have did the computer reset, and it did not help.

Mine happens with accelerations, mostly between 20-30 mph, and typically under moderate to hard acceleration. I will either let off the gas (sometimes this doesn't resolve the problem), or floor it, and the CVT will adjust, and it shifts fine from there. It is an intermittent problem too. Sometimes it will run fine, and other times it will happen.

I was going to get my transmission fluid changed, but the dealer did not recommend this. So, hopefully we find a solution.

jrc

·
Registered
9 Posts
In my case, when I accelerate between 3-4 rpm, i sounds like a soft whistle, and it started this weekend, I dont know what could be... it also happens when I´m runnin at high speeds...can anyone help me what would that be? My Pat is 26189 milles, I will appreciate your comments!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just for the record, it happens with me too. Waiting for the solution or at least ideas on here. I'm SURE a garage could find a bunch of things wrong! lol Doesn't sound like a bad tranny though, right? I don't have the lifetime warranty like most of you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Transmission Jerking during acceleration

I have a 2007 jeep patriot limited 4x4 with 94,000 miles. My patriot was problem free for the first 80,000 miles. Since then it has been one problem after another, basically everything that every one has complained about. The latest problem is exactly the same as what everyone else has described. When the car accelerates I feel resistence between 15 and 30 miles an hour like it is stuck in gear. Once I go above 30mph the transmission returns to normal. The crazy thing is the rpm needle does not go any higher then 2000 or 3000 RPM which is normal. I had a bad tranny once in another car and when the car had trouble shifting the RPM would rev very high untill it shifted. Not the case with my jeep. I had the transmission fluid changed at the dealer around 70,000 miles. I just took it in and (lucky me) the dealer has determined that the high pitched whining sound is coming from worn bushings on my alternator, a lower control arm needs replacing (I had the other one replaced last year) and a front strut is leaking. I explained the problem to the dealer who I have never had a problem with before and questioned whether a weak alternator was the cause of the transmission feeling like it is sticking. I will be picking up my car tomorrow and I will see if the problem has corrected itself. When you drive the same car for 94,000 miles you get used to how it feels and performs. This is definitely new for me. If the transmission was really damaged The other aspects of driving should be affected (mileage, acceleration, the rpms, top speed. Not the case.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good to hear that this isn't typical of a bad tranny, rivmce. Looking forward to what you find out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
update on Transmission jerking

This is an update to my previous post. To my surprise replacing the alternator seems to have fixed the problem. The transmission is shifting normally again. I don't know if my situation was unique but in addition to the shifting hesitation I experienced, the other major symptom was a really loud whining sound when the car first started and when I first accelerated. You may not notice it at first because the jeep has always been noisy, but replacing the alternator has quieted the noise and returned the cars shifting to normal. The dealer told me the bushings were worn inside the alternator which allowed it to keep working at a lower rate.

In the last 14,000 miles (car currently has 94,000) I have had to replace the right rear wheel bearing, the intake manifold rudder (code p2004), the left front ball joint and control arm, most recently the right front control arm, and I have to get the front struts replaced because the right front one is leaking, and the alternator. I have performed all of the required maintence and change the oil religously. All things considered it could be worse.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I brought my Jeep into the dealer for the same thing and was told it's the traction control engaging at around 20 mph.

BS?

·
Registered
6 Posts
What about Manual Trans?

Everyone seems to be talking about CVT trans, but I'm kind of experiencing the same thing with my 2008 PAT Manual Trans only 48000 miles on it. When I accelerate in 3rd gear and the RPM is between 2 and 3 I feel some jerking in my Jeep as well.

At first I thought my fuel injectors needed to be cleaned because I did 2 huge cross country trips and perhaps purchased some bad gas. Well, two full tanks with fuel additives later, not much improvement. Maybe a little. I'm debating whether to take it in to the Jeep dealership since I am grandfathered into that lifetime power train warranty Jeep offered for a little while.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
They'll just look at you like you're stupid and explain to you very slowly as if you were 5 years old that it's all in your head.

·
Registered
60 Posts
...When I accelerate in 3rd gear and the RPM is between 2 and 3 I feel some jerking in my Jeep as well....

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Try some higher Octane fuel. I have the exact same symptom when using the typical 85 RON Regular Unleaded available locally. (The Patriot engine requires 87 RON.) Using a midgrade "Plus" (88-89 RON) fuel has eliminated the engine stumbling I was experiencing in the 2-3k rpm range.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What about Manual Trans?

Bicero

I have a 2008 Pat 4x4 with 5 speed manual. It took the dealer 2 tries because no computer codes were being generated, but the mechanic hooked the scanner up to the computer port, drove the car and found codes were being generated just, for some reason, not written to the computer:

Bottom line: Throttle control unit (with sensor) replaced and the Pat runs fine.

Don't know if this is your problem, but worth looking into.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was experiencing the exact same thing with this hesitation/jerking problem. I have an 07, and if memory serves me right it started after 160,000 miles. It got progressively worse, and I had all the same thoughts....What is wrong with my transmission. I was quick to blame that, considering the CVT is the item we are not familiar with. However, my dealer looked at it and said the throttle body was gummed up really bad with carbon deposits. They cleaned it and it solved the problem. I am inclined to believe it because I am now at 233,000 and it is beginning again. I may attempt to do this myself this time to verify. Plus when they fixed it the first time there were no charges for parts, just a little labor for taking the throttle body apart.
Plus this explains the issues with the manual trannys, not just the CVT

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hmm.. have never felt this at 20 mph or so, but I have noticed that it's jerky from a dead stop up to about 10 or 15 mph if you hit the accelerator in a certain way. I've learned to gently take off from a dead stop and it doesn't do it. If I really need to burn off, like when merging from a stop sign, I just take the jerkiness.

G

1 - 20 of 64 Posts