• Yes

• No

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I've got an 08 Jeep Patriot Limited with a 2.4L engine and a CVT (drivetrain is all original). It currently has 413,000KM on it and so I know I need to do a transmission oil change. I am not sure what i need to do the said oil change so I'm
looking for help on that.

I also have recently noticed two new noises which i believe are transmission related... 1. A whine when under hard acceleration (4750RPM - 6000RPM), and 2. a knock which happens 2 or 4 times per revolution of the tire when around 20 KM/h under light or no load (CV Boots are intact).

There also looks to possibly be oil leaking out of the bellhousing inspection cover... Might look into that today

both of the noises come from the front of the vehicle

I'm looking for a list of parts required as well as any advice regarding those two noises

Thanks,
Ben Muller
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Car Tire

·
Administrator
7,744 Posts
Here's a thread that should give you an idea on the fluid and filters change:

The whine might be related to the fluid and filters needing changed.

The knocking noise could be a cv joint. The video below shows you how to check for excessive play in the inner joint.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's a thread that should give you an idea on the fluid and filters change:

The whine might be related to the fluid and filters needing changed.

The knocking noise could be a cv joint. The video below shows you how to check for excessive play in the inner joint.

I did check those about a week ago and they were fine but i plan to get under it again this morning so ill have another look.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,116 Posts
I'd bet that the whine is related to the fluid & filters needing to be changed. I've done mine twice. It's pretty easy (at least for me), the hardest part for me is wrangling the heavy-ass skid plate off and on while laying in the driveway. Hard to say what could be knocking like that... if it isn't a CV joint then possibly a wheel bearing?

·
Administrator
7,744 Posts
..... It's pretty easy (at least for me), the hardest part for me is wrangling the heavy-ass skid plate off and on while laying in the driveway. ..
x2.

I use a floor jack to hold it in place, then a Kobalt cordless ratchet, makes it a lot faster and easier.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,116 Posts
I've been using my knees...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did a small amount of high rpm fast acceleration city driving yesterday and couldn't get the whine to come back... then again it was a short drive so I'm thinking after long drives it would come back much easier... Do you really think an oil change could fix the whine? I don't wanna dump $200 on it just to hear the same whine (which sounds like a supercharger) in 2 weeks.

·
Administrator
7,744 Posts
A common complaint with CVT's on long drives is whining, overheating and limp mode due to dirty fluid and filters. Check the fluid with the engine oil dipstick and see if it's black and dirty looking.

If it hasn't been changed in the last 50k miles then it should be done anyway, especially with that many miles on it.

If you put if off until you start getting shudder / judder, bucking, jerking, and limp mode by then it may be too late.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried to get my dipstick down there but it couldn't make it past one of the bends so I couldn't get any fluid on it. I might stop at an oil change place and have them check the fluid
A common complaint with CVT's on long drives is whining, overheating and limp mode due to dirty fluid and filters. Check the fluid with the engine oil dipstick and see if it's black and dirty looking.

If it hasn't been changed in the last 50k miles then it should be done anyway, especially with that many miles on it.

If you put if off until you start getting shudder / judder, bucking, jerking, and limp mode by then it may be too late.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
When mine was whining, it only whined after 30 minutes or so on the highway, never around town. Changing the fluid and both filters solved the whining.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When mine was whining, it only whined after 30 minutes or so on the highway, never around town. Changing the fluid and both filters solved the whining.
alright i may have to just go ahead and do it then. Im planning to buy a new toolbox on my next paycheck so maybe ill start gearing up for that too. What Oil and filters are recommended for the 08?

·
Administrator
7,744 Posts
alright i may have to just go ahead and do it then. Im planning to buy a new toolbox on my next paycheck so maybe ill start gearing up for that too. What Oil and filters are recommended for the 08?
I've used both Valvoline and Castrol fluids.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I've been using Valvoline, mostly because WalMart carries it pretty cheap. Don't remember what filters, but got them on Amazon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts