Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 Jeep Patriot 2.4L with 5-speed MT and 4WD. My Jeep started making some noise that would go away when I pressed in the clutch, so I originally thought it was a bad pilot bearing in the clutch. I took it to a shop and they said they scoped it and the noise was coming from the actual transmission. I don't do transmissions, so if they said so... ok. First of all... should I get a 2nd opinion before I buy a reman transmission? They don't have one, so it isn't they were pushing the higher priced item... I still lean bad pilot bearing, but I also try not to work on anything past 1987 (carburetor went away). Anywho... The shop said that they looked and was unable to find a reman 5-speed 4WD transmission to go in the Pilot and that MT for the Pilot seemed to be on backorder. I did some checking on my own and found one through Gearhead Engines. They have contacted me back and said they have the T355 I needed for around 1867+core. I don't know anything about Gearhead, but it has been one of the few places I was able to find one. The LAST question I have... (other reason I stay away from post-87) is with the new tranny do I need another PCU unit or is it just a straight swap since it is the same type of transmission?

· Administrator
8,786 Posts
My Jeep started making some noise that would go away when I pressed in the clutch
Maybe a bad input shaft bearing, long thread on it here:

A second opinion wouldn't hurt, though.

The LAST question I have... (other reason I stay away from post-87) is with the new tranny do I need another PCU unit or is it just a straight swap since it is the same type of transmission?
You shouldn't have to do anything with the PCM.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also noticed now that as I change gears and speed up...it also gets louder. It almost sounds like it is winding out. Planetary gears? I read the above thread... I am finding that no one around me can currently rebuild or will rebuild them because it is almost impossible to get parts for the T355 4WD 5-speed atm.

· Administrator
8,786 Posts
Worst case you can probably get a re-manufactured transmission through a dealer, though likely costs more than others ($3500-ish, plus 1k core).

#R8142074AA

If you do a search on that part number you might come up with a few more sources.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Gearhead sent me an email with a price of $1867+$275 core charge. They will pay to have the core shipped back. Are the Latitude and Sport the same part?

· Registered
3 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my patriot. Nobody will rebuild these tranny's anymore because of the terrible issues with them they are unwilling to warranty their work. T355s are on backorder and I've been on a waiting list since mid 2022 for one that comes from Chrysler with a 70k mile warranty.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm having the same problem with my patriot. Nobody will rebuild these tranny's anymore because of the terrible issues with them they are unwilling to warranty their work. T355s are on backorder and I've been on a waiting list since mid 2022 for one that comes from Chrysler with a 70k mile warranty.
Do you know if there is a swap?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts