Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!
This is my first post here, so thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this.

I currently have an 02 Wrangler with the 4.0. I’ve had 3 wranglers now and it’s pretty much all I know. However, after years of daily driving wranglers, I think I want a change. They aren’t very good as daily’s. While they’re very dependable, the gas mileage is TRASH, they creek, squeak, and mine currently has 160,000 and I feel like it’s just getting more & more sluggish. It rattles the whole vehicle when you hit a small bump in the road. I don’t even have ABS. While I love the wrangler, I don’t think it’s the smartest decision to keep it as a daily.

Hence why I’m here! I’ve been really eye balling the Patriot. They seem comfortable, simple, able, I love the styling.
But their reliability makes me so nervous. I’ve heard many horror stories about failing transmission, fried CPUs, control arms... etc.
What has everyone experiences has everyone had with theirs?
I’m so scared to get a vehicle that will mess up on me all the time.

·
Registered
819 Posts
If you get one with a CVT, just make sure that you keep up on fluid & filter changes. The manual is very misleading, which leads to people not properly maintaining them, giving them a bad rap. Mine started whining after the shop that replaced one of my front CV axles over filled it, other than that my CVT has given me no issues on my '14 with over 80k miles. I've also had a ball joint replaced, and a few squeaky bushings and a corroded relay. All in all, nothing that would cause me to label it unreliable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It all depends on the year you are eye balling and where you live. I have a 2012 North Edition 2.4L 5 speed transmission with 114K Km. Just love the little sucker, good on gas also. But I live in Canada and they use salt on the roads for de-icing in winter and this is tough for the undercarriage. I had to replace the whole front and back suspensions and the brake rotors roth easily.

·
8,289 Posts
You might check out the 200,000 mile and 300,000 mile threads on this site.

My 2008 Patriot had the CVT and I was gullible enough to believe the owners manual and waited till 120,000 miles to service the tranny. As @mr_et2 above suggests, my CVT did not make it that far -- it croaked at 110,000. Thankfully, it was replaced under the lifetime warranty and the replacement went to 270,000 miles when that one failed. Again it was replaced under the lifetime warranty. No complaints here. If you get the CVT, change the fluid and filters at least every 50,000 miles. Also be aware that these are 30,000 mile spark plugs. I suspect many owners have mistaken misfires for tranny problems and needlessly replaced a tranny; then still had the problem, called the Patriot a POS and dumped it prematurely.

Aside from that I had no problems at all before 200,000 miles. I was just past 200,000 when I had a wiring problem that created a domino effect of my battery and alternator (both original). In fact it wrecked the replacement battery too but my dealer took care of that saying it was their fault for not finding the root cause. That root cause was a corroded wiring harness directly below the battery. Altogether it ran me about $1200, but that was the first repair other than typical maintenance. I debated the wiring harness but figured it had been good to me that far so I did the work and kept it to about 278,000 and sold it to a friend. He's now at 295,000 and has had no problems so far.

After the 200,000 mile mark I had to replace the front struts and the throttle body -- I forget the miles but probably in the 250,000 range.

We liked my 2008 Patriot so much that we got a 2014 5-spd for my Wife. It's at 140,000 and has only needed a front axle bearing.
I've had none of the front end problems some owners complain about. Other things to be mindful of are that some of the early years have leaking sunroofs. There are some older threads on here with solutions (pardon the pun). I think newer years are OK so Jeep must have addressed the issue.

One more thing to check is for a rusty subframe. Again, not a problem I've had with either Patriot. Not many Patriots had the problem, but it is something a buyer should watch for. Even then it may not be a deal-breaker, but it's a good way to get someone down on the price. I've seen estimates on here of c $1200-1400 to repair. You may also discover other worn parts while that's being done -- your call if you want to do them all at once or piecemeal. There are good arguments either way.

As with any used vehicle check it well or find someone who can. Every used vehicle is being sold for a reason. At least with a Patriot you've got a very helpful owner site (that us!). :)

PS, both of our Patriots are FWD and proved to be outstanding in snow (that's why we got them) and even got me out of an off-road mess I shouldn't have ventured into. I posted that story in the 2wd threads. Just keep good rubber on them, and yes, Patriots are very easy on tires. Fuel economy is great too. My 2.4 ran about 30MPG. Wifey's 2.0 is definitely into the 30s MPG but the 2.0 is a modest power plant and shifting can get tediious in the mountains. That said, I've got a hitch on it and it yanks around my 5x10 trailer, no problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow what a very detailed & thorough reply, thank you! Im curious, it seems like many Patriot owners their tranny replaced under warranty. Is that a warranty Chrysler issued or does everyone happen to have great warranties through where they bought it? Even if the tranny failed prematurely, if i don’t pay out of pocket, I don’t see the big deal really. Wranglers are just all I know, I’m scared to trade something that holds its value so well to a lemon

·
8,289 Posts
My warranty was the factory warranty offered free when Chrysler was desperate to stay in business back in 2008-2009. They were enhancing their deals with the warranty and correctly figured they wouldn't have to pay out until they were in better financial shape.

It's FCAs fault that the CVT gets a bad rap because the owners manual understated the need for maintenance. If it gets serviced every 50,000 miles it will probably go the life of the vehicle. I can't prove my other theory but I bet a lot of CVTs got replaced because (as I said previously) engine misfire or ECM problems were mistaken for tranny problems.

Yes, Wranglers hold their value. We had a 2011 ragtop that we bought new for $20,000 and traded in 2019 for $15,000 with around 40,000 miles on it. Trouble is, the price of the new Wranglers is out of site, especially considering it's a vehicle that is likely to get knocked around. Most SUVs are highway cars and grocery-getters, but Wranglers will quickly find their way into a swamp or a rock pile. Our Wrangler worked so those 40,000 miles were mostly pulling a trailer or driving in deep snow. Otherwise one of our Patriots got the nod. I'm now kicking myself over trading the Wrangler for our Compass.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My warranty was the factory warranty offered free when Chrysler was desperate to stay in business back in 2008-2009. They were enhancing their deals with the warranty and correctly figured they wouldn't have to pay out until they were in better financial shape.

It's FCAs fault that the CVT gets a bad rap because the owners manual understated the need for maintenance. If it gets serviced every 50,000 miles it will probably go the life of the vehicle. I can't prove my other theory but I bet a lot of CVTs got replaced because (as I said previously) engine misfire or ECM problems were mistaken for tranny problems.

Yes, Wranglers hold their value. We had a 2011 ragtop that we bought new for $20,000 and traded in 2019 for $15,000 with around 40,000 miles on it. Trouble is, the price of the new Wranglers is out of site, especially considering it's a vehicle that is likely to get knocked around. Most SUVs are highway cars and grocery-getters, but Wranglers will quickly find their way into a swamp or a rock pile. Our Wrangler worked so those 40,000 miles were mostly pulling a trailer or driving in deep snow. Otherwise one of our Patriots got the nod. I'm now kicking myself over trading the Wrangler for our Compass.
The price for a new Wrangler is definitely ridiculous.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey all!
This is my first post here, so thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this.

I currently have an 02 Wrangler with the 4.0. I’ve had 3 wranglers now and it’s pretty much all I know. However, after years of daily driving wranglers, I think I want a change. They aren’t very good as daily’s. While they’re very dependable, the gas mileage is TRASH, they creek, squeak, and mine currently has 160,000 and I feel like it’s just getting more & more sluggish. It rattles the whole vehicle when you hit a small bump in the road. I don’t even have ABS. While I love the wrangler, I don’t think it’s the smartest decision to keep it as a daily.

Hence why I’m here! I’ve been really eye balling the Patriot. They seem comfortable, simple, able, I love the styling.
But their reliability makes me so nervous. I’ve heard many horror stories about failing transmission, fried CPUs, control arms... etc.
What has everyone experiences has everyone had with theirs?
I’m so scared to get a vehicle that will mess up on me all the time.
Patriot, do you Pray? Do it unless it's a newer model with under 100k. My instrument panel reminds me of a christmas tree with all those red warning lights coming on, I almost don't need interior lighting.... Take care & may the force be with ya...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts