Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It just happen two time during the past six-seven weeks but I was driving normally, no special conditions, no lost of control, no spin, nothing special and for no reason the yellow "Traction Control" light comes on and stays on. The first time I didn't care about it but it comes on and stays on again this morning and I took the time to ran some tests and when the light stays on, the traction control (and probably the ESP) didn't work (it was predictable) but ABS brakes still work normally.

The problem is very intermittent and I can't reproduce it at the dealer or at any mechanical shops because immediately when I shut off the engine and relaunch it, the light goes off and does not turn back on. In fact when I relaunch the engine the light doesn't goes off immediately, I need to put the Jeep in "drive" and move forward from a few feet and voila... the light goes off and doesn't turn back on.

Any clues for me?
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
could be wheel sensors
or could be throttle body
if TB position doesnt match wheel speed then you get ESP error
wheel sensors would be cheap easy fix approx $30 for the part.
TB well not so cheap and easy

if your handy and have a multimeter
can remove the sensor 1 at a time, clean them off and check its resistance levels

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes. Have someone with ABS code reader pull the code(s) for you. Also check your wiring under the carpet on the passenger side.
I already have a look on the large harness on the driver's kick panel. Everything looked fine.

Did the ABS sensors can be monitored by OBDII diagnostic BTW? Because I have an ELM327 WiFi with a lot of PC software for OBDII diagnostic...

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
if you have elm327 should be abs capable
then would come down to what software you have,
i have only used freebie software on the elm327 and none of my freebies offer abs read out

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine does this too....Chrysler couldn't find an error code for it last time I was in. Yesterday it came on for no particular reason (although roads are icy here, didn't notice anyhting) and stayed on till I shut off the engine and re-started.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I wonder if it could be an issue with the yaw sensor that detects sideways sliding? The computer won't throw a code until the reading is considered "out of bounds" for the sensor, so it throwing some erroneous data "within bounds" might be seen as a slide and traction control is reacting to it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also read somewhere else about a "steering position sensor" who's part of the ETS on large size Chrysler sedan (300, Charger, etc). Do the compact Jeeps have this sensor too?

That make A LOT of sensors to check and test... this is discouraging and pretty scary! But is it something the Chrysler dealer can diagnose easily with some advanced self-testing on the vehicle or does it need to be all manually checked...?

·
Registered
1 Posts

It just happen two time during the past six-seven weeks but I was driving normally, no special conditions, no lost of control, no spin, nothing special and for no reason the yellow "Traction Control" light comes on and stays on. The first time I didn't care about it but it comes on and stays on again this morning and I took the time to ran some tests and when the light stays on, the traction control (and probably the ESP) didn't work (it was predictable) but ABS brakes still work normally.

The problem is very intermittent and I can't reproduce it at the dealer or at any mechanical shops because immediately when I shut off the engine and relaunch it, the light goes off and does not turn back on. In fact when I relaunch the engine the light doesn't goes off immediately, I need to put the Jeep in "drive" and move forward from a few feet and voila... the light goes off and doesn't turn back on.

Any clues for me?
Thanks!
When the ABS light came and stayed on for me, it was the wheel bearing. Check the codes with a diagnostic tool to be sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts