Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the tpms warning turn on if the tires are over-inflated? My Jeep has been giving me the low tire warning since the second day of ownership. All four tires were originally at 32psi. I filled them up to 37psi. The decal on my door says they are to be aired to 35psi. My low tire warning never goes away. The owner manual says to drive the vehicle for 20 minutes to let the sensors reset themselves. Which I have done numerous times.

The low tire warning doesn't flash for 70 seconds, so I'm guessing I don't have a bad sensor.

What gives? Two weeks later, the warning is still on:doh:

Damn Ford Explorer drivers, I blame them!

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
You'll probably have to have the dealer check it out. It sounds like at least one sensor or perhaps the TPMS receiver isn't working. The car doesn't flash right away even with a bad sensor. Then, if it gets no signal within a minure and a half or so, it goes into warning mode.

If your sensors were all gid and everything was working, but one or more of your pressures were bad, it would warn you much sooner.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
I agree with Jeepfan. When I had a nail in my one back tire, the low pressure warning turned on and chimed almost immediately when I started it up. Take it to the dealer and have them fix it. That's what warranty is for!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The low tire warning comes on right away when you start it up. It says 'lo tire' where the odometer is for a couple of seconds then goes away with low tire symbol staying on till you shut it off. I wish you could diagnost this stuff yourself with an obd II scanner. I'm afraid to take it to the dealer and have them tell me the tires need more air and charge me for it!

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
You might have ice in the tire sensor. Air em up to 40 psi (use a GOOD guage), drive a few miles, then take em down to 30, repeat the drive, then take em back to 35 and drive it for awhile to heat em up. If the light doesn't go out then take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
822 Posts
The system is supposed to tell you when one or more tires are low. It shouldn't care about high pressure. So, pumping them to the max pressure indicated on the tire sidewall should not give the system a reason to warn you about low pressure.

If it still gives you the warning, it sounds like a warranty situation.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
I would take it to the dealer. They shouldn't charge you since you have only had it for a couple weeks. You did what the manual said and the light didn't go away. They can't charge you for that..

I like that green 2011

1 - 7 of 7 Posts