Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All you FDI's stuck in the mud of your driveway have been begging for this, so here you go!

I expect to see your install photo's. :banana: I've got my fingers crossed for you that you can buy the hooks and hardware.

Here's a front view.

Both holes are the same size and position. The hole could be cut into the plastic part of the bumper, but the front hooks are bolted to the steel bumper, as well as a bolt deep inside the frame. You would definitely want to get all three bolts installed, but the frame bolt will require removing the entire front plastic bumper (and probably more than that!), just to even see the head of the bolt.

Dimensions shown are colour coded, and are in a straight line perpendicular to the cut-out.

Here's a closeup. You cannot see the frame bolt in this picture, but the two bolts to the steel bumper are prominant. They probably attach to a special loosely retained nut that you'd want to buy with the hooks.

Same shot from a lower angle. One of the retained nuts has a tab that can be seen sticking out of the steel bumper on the right.

Here's one angles shot of the frame bolt/nut (see arrow), which will be a :mad: to reach

Here's another angle of the frame bolt/nut. I think it's actually a bolt that threads into a loosely retained nut attached to the tow hook, but I won't be investigating further - you figure it out. :)

So, for the front hooks, I think the hardware you need to buy is:
tow hook (2)
bumper bolts (4)
bumper retained nut (4)
frame bolt (2)
frame retained nut (2)

I have no clue as to part numbers.

Good luck accessing the frame bolt!!!

REAR TOW HOOK HOLES ('cuz I knew you'd ask)

Here's a head on view of the rear tow hook. The cutout in the bumper looks trapezoidal, but it is not. The surface curves and makes the hole look non-rectangular. In fact, the hole is a perfect rectangle if you look at it perpendicular to the surface it's cut into.

Here are the measurements. Remember, the hole is a rectangle, even though it doesn't look like it here. The 3" and 3-1/2" dimensions are to the recessed indent in the bumper.

The rear bumper hardware (I know this, because I took it off for the hitch) is:
hook with pressed in bolts for frame (1)
nuts for hook (2)
long bolt to go into bumper (1)
bumper retained nut (1)

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Great post! I believe tha I saw in another thread that the lines for the hole cutouts exist already on the inside of the bumper and you should be able to follow those lines to do the cutout to make sure you have them exactly where they need to go. Since you have to remove the whole bumper anyway, like you said, you may as well follow the lines already in place for you:)

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could imagine there are lines on the backside, but they may not be the line that you want to cut.

It's likely a line made by the insert they put into the plastic injection mould. The mould for the bumper probably has two versions where they swap out a small section of the injection mould tool. One day they make bumpers with holes, and the next day, they make bumpers without holes. The insert might be a different size than the holes themself.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
http://www.justforjeeps.com/fronttowhooks.html

Not too bad a price at all $278 :smiley_thumbs_up: Has everything except the large through bolt at the rear most end of the hook and also the most important bolt. Although a grade 8 bolt for it can be purchased at any hardware or auto parts store.

Looks like these things are starting to go down in price a little bit.
a pretty good find!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I installed a trailer hitch on the back which came with tie downs for the trailer's chains, so I don't really need the tow hooks on the back.

For the front, I bought two loading dock rubber bumpers, and I think I'm going to mount each of them to a steel plate, and secure the steel plate to the bumper and to the frame where the hooks attach. At the bottom of my loading dock bumpers' mounting plate I may install a tow link.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I installed a trailer hitch on the back which came with tie downs for the trailer's chains, so I don't really need the tow hooks on the back.

For the front, I bought two loading dock rubber bumpers, and I think I'm going to mount each of them to a steel plate, and secure the steel plate to the bumper and to the frame where the hooks attach. At the bottom of my loading dock bumpers' mounting plate I may install a tow link.
Any pics of the final product?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does anyone have measurements from the center of the bumper for the holes? I have a Compass and am not sure where the holes might go since my fog lights are in the lower fascia.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bump for Rob...

j.b. No promise that the hooks will fit a Compass. I don't think it's been done.

If you will go for it anyway, I can measure from the centerline. but I'd take the bumper off first and install the hooks before cutting the bumper on a Compass.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Reviving this thread guys ...

I've got my tow hooks in the mail - was looking at doing the cut outs on the bumper this weekend.

I saw the measurements that were given earlier in the thread, but noticed that the bumpers are shaped different - US vs EURO. There is a distinct line that runs down the bumper on the inside of the fog lights.

It's kind of thrown me a curve ball - does anyone have any advice on how I should utilize the measurements to cut the holes in my front bar?

Any and all advice would be great - thanks guys!

Attachments

·
2012 POTY
6,154 Posts
I'd remove the bumper and see if the tow hooks are still mounted the same way and if there are any indentations inside the bumper showing where to cut the holes. Have you seen any EURO spec Patriots with the tow hooks?

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I'd remove the bumper and see if the tow hooks are still mounted the same way and if there are any indentations inside the bumper showing where to cut the holes. Have you seen any EURO spec Patriots with the tow hooks?
Hey TJN,

Thanks for the response.

I havent checked, but I've read that the chassis are the same.

I'll have to check if there are indents, but not sure how I should measure if there aren't ...

And no I haven't seen any EURO spec front bars with tow hooks :(

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is what I have been looking for...!!!!!! ONLY PROBLEM IS THE INFO/DIAGRAM/PIC IS MISSING!!!!!!!!! Telling me the info is there but not having it is a pain... I know it has been a few years since this was originally posted but great info that is really hard to get is priceless!!!! Thanks guys for the site and all who have posted...

·
Registered
96 Posts
GREAT write up BUT INFO IS MISSING...!!!!!! Stuff like this is great even if a few years old. Looking to build a front receiver hitch for a moveable winch... Just noticed the reply I sent in earlier made it.... at a hotel and the router I was on kept dropping off....

·
Administrator
6,275 Posts
GREAT write up BUT INFO IS MISSING...!!!!!! Stuff like this is great even if a few years old. Looking to build a front receiver hitch for a moveable winch... Just noticed the reply I sent in earlier made it.... at a hotel and the router I was on kept dropping off....
Sorry about the missing pics/info,etc.

If it helps any the dimensions of the tow hook bumper cover holes on my FDII are approx. 6" x 2 3/4" .

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Another suggestion..... Why not just get a receiver hitch meant for the rear and use it on the front of the vehicle? You may have to drill a few holes and make a cutout for the receiver opening, but it sure seems a lot easier than building something from scratch just to utilize holes for the front tow hooks. I'm about 95% sure the subframe has the same dimensions on both the front and rear of the Patriot. A few minutes with a tape measure would confirm. With this method you could mount a winch plate, a tow hook, or a multitude of other accessories.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just discovered that the factory tow hooks aren't meant for actually being pulled out of a mud hole I've got a bent one now, buried the patriot to the frame more or less just not enough juice to get itself out, mostly my fault for not checking things out before hand

1 - 18 of 18 Posts