Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting quite low on antifreeze, and a bit of searching on this forum seems to suggest that I can use Zerex G-05 instead of the MOPAR fluid that the service manual recommends. Should I be able to just top up my tank, or do I need to look at draining and flushing the whole thing before I switch to the Zerex product? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If you need to top off coolants, does this mean you may have a small leak somewhere?
I dont seem to recall any of the service advisors since I bought this vehicle 55K kilometers ago advising me that they topped it off. But then again it could have been an 'in one ear, and out another' type of scenerio.

·
Registered
224 Posts
You are right, it's not a good idea......but Zerex G05 is the same HOAT as the Mopar stuff. Only difference is price......$11 at Walmart for the Zerex, $45 from the dealer :doh:
I had some trouble finding anywhere that stocked the Zerex. The only place in town w/it was NAPA but even there, it wasn't out with the rest of the coolant but was kept back in the stock room.

It seems odd how hard it is to track down, especially considering how many cars today require it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just top off. this is the exact stuff except they dont dye it red/orange...they use a more light yellow almost color so you can mix it with other brands and not have it effect the original color.
Thanks for the confirmation.

i am of the understanding (maybe wrongly) that coolants shouldn't be mixed???
I think the caution against mixing coolants refers to types of coolant (OAT, HOAT, etc) rather than brands. The Zerex G-05 coolant is of the same type as the MOPAR; they're just different brands.

I had some trouble finding anywhere that stocked the Zerex. The only place in town w/it was NAPA but even there, it wasn't out with the rest of the coolant but was kept back in the stock room.

It seems odd how hard it is to track down, especially considering how many cars today require it.
Interesting. I'm seeing the same thing in threads on other vehicle forums, now that I look. I've not actually tried to track the stuff down yet myself, but it doesn't seem like it should be that difficult to find if everybody wants it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, strike one for me. I checked my usual auto parts store and came up empty-handed. The employee that I talked to said that Zerex is still carried at "a few gas stations" that are "few and far between." He wasn't sure why.

I'll try a few more places here in town before I admit defeat. :)

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
I like NAPA myself, the guys there seem to know a thing or two, unlike some other parts stores. And their customer service seems better too, at least around here. Advance Auto is off my list of places to buy, had too many bad experiences with them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like NAPA myself, the guys there seem to know a thing or two, unlike some other parts stores. And their customer service seems better too, at least around here. Advance Auto is off my list of places to buy, had too many bad experiences with them.
That's funny, because Advance was the first place that I looked (where I was told that Zerex vendors are "few and far between"). They didn't have my oil filter of choice last time I went looking for one, either. Maybe I'll give NAPA a try for a while. :)

·
Patriot Crash Test Dummy
1,318 Posts
Ive always had luck with NAPA, and O'Reilly (even though we dont have those around here.) Autozone is always kind of hit and miss, they usually stock the cleaners I like to use though. Carquest is pretty decent if you have one around. Theyre alot like Napa in the fact that its alot smaller store with more knowledgeable people. I agree completely that Advance is the last on my list of places to go. Id rather try Walmart first before going there:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.