Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Tire thread rip

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Ignatz 
#1 ·
Not sure what happened but small piece of tire came off and you can see a small bubble or bump on side of
tire. Thoughts on if this may need replaced? I’m taking to shop this week to check but curious until then. Probably can’t tell via picture

See less See more
#2 ·
If there's a bulge forming on the side of the tire then it's definitely damaged or defective. Hit any big bumps lately? Also, can't tell for sure, but it looks like that tire might be wearing unevenly... looks like the edge is close to the wear indicators while the center looks better.

#3 ·
I think mr_et2 has a good eye to spot the uneven wear, though the pic doesn't show us a lot. That however is irrelevant to the missing chunk and the bulge. I'm guessing you hit something like a sharp pointed rock that ripped off some rubber and did internal damage to the tire.

I wouldn't trust it. Get to a shop ASAP. Until you do, take it slow and avoid rocky roads.

#9 ·
I purchased used tires before, back when I was broke. There's a local tire shop near me that only sells used tires. I know quite a few people that have purchased tires from them and were very happy. Personally I feel that it's kind of a crap-shoot. You could luck out and get a good deal or you could end up with junk and waste your $$$.

#11 ·
Used tires are like used cars. Caveat emptor.
  • I bought a set of used tires from another member on this site. He'd sold his Patriot and didn't need the extra set. They were excellent and came at a bargain. Arguably the best set of tires I've ever had.
  • I also got a used set that were impossible to balance. May have been slipped belts. I got them cheap and I got what I paid for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.