Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Patriot Sport 2WD
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and found nothing recent. My full warranty ended and my 5yr/60K drivetrain ends next year.

1. To those that don't know, when you buy any vehicle new, they offer you the extended warranty. The price they quote you is DOUBLE what it costs them and is negotiable. Although some Finance Managers like mine refused to negotiate and then refused to sell me an extended warranty. She also tried to screw me by doubling the interest rate kick-back. She failed to realize I was in auto financing before I retired.

2. My question is, what about those other companies like CarShield? What are the costs and what do they cover? Based on a lot of issues seen on this site, I think I need one because I plan on keeping this as my primary vehicle for the rest of my life.

3. Any thoughts or experiences?

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
8,966 Posts
One positive, one negative, and them my humble opinion.

Positive: I got the lifetime warranty on my 2008 Patriot. Jeep threw it in free as an incentive. You might recall they were struggling to stay in business at that time. They replace my transmission twice, no questions asked. First time at 110,000 miles, second time at 270,000 miles. That second time I thought they might try to buy me out of it, but they fixed it.

Negative: I bought an aftermarket warranty on my 1988 Wrangler and when I needed it the warranty company was gone.

MHO: You're better off to save the money so when you need the repair you've got the money to pay for it. If you don't buy te warranty you don't have to hassle with the company to make them back it. Seems warranty companies like to hide behind technicalities, e.g., "Your engine failure was not due to a manufacturing defect. It simply wore out. That is normal wear & tear and is not covered."

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,567 Posts
I had an '88 Thunderbird LX that I purchased an extended "bumper-to bumper" warranty with. Two years in it blew a head gasket and the warranty company refused to cover it because "gaskets are wear items and wear items aren't covered". Last extended warranty I'll ever buy.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Those warranties sold by the dealers are usually not transferable. It’s just for that specific dealership (from what I remember when I purchased this Patriot).

As suggested, put aside a few dollars a month like if you were paying into a warranty plan. Some even suggest to put aside what your car payment was every month since you’re not used to having that money anyway.

Reactions: Newt

·
Administrator
6,857 Posts
I considered buying the extended warranty at the time of purchase, but I passed on it after reading the experiences of too many others who had difficulty getting repairs covered for all kinds of excuses.

We've personally known people who've been taken by Carshield, etc. Check the BBB and other review sites.

IMO the best and cheapest insurance is a good preventive maintenance regimen that pays particular attention to known trouble areas, like CVT fluid changes, cross-member rust. etc. and leaving room in the budget for a large repair if needed.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
8,966 Posts
Those warranties sold by the dealers are usually not transferable. It’s just for that specific dealership (from what I remember when I purchased this Patriot).

As suggested, put aside a few dollars a month like if you were paying into a warranty plan. Some even suggest to put aside what your car payment was every month since you’re not used to having that money anyway.
I got a Mopar oil change contract. It was for 3 oil changes. I bought it and used it that day for the first. The car was wrecked the very next day. I bought another Jeep from the same dealer but they wouldn't transfer it to my new one. :mad: I still go to the same dealer but they damaged their reputation. Last year I bought a Wrangler from a different dealer. They saved $100 by screwing me out of the other two oil changes. They screwed themselves out of a new vehicle sale. That's their policy; I have mine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I bought a lifetime warranty(from jeep) for my 2010 patriot. I have had good luck but as my car has gotton older jeep has been selectively fixing certain items and denied others. Here is a post I made last year about my fight with them.

Last week I took my car to get brakes done and they told me one of my control arms is cracked. I also needed new struts. Jeep paid for the control arm and a different seal. I had to pay for the struts. They have been using the excuse that x part is only good for x amount of miles. No where in my LIFETIME warranty is there any mention of mileage limits on parts. I asked them for a list of parts and what their expected mileage is so that I can be proactive in the future. Of course they don't have the list.

Overall I have been happy with the warranty as I am way ahead of the game from earlier repairs but I think Jeep realized that offering lifetime warranties cost them more than they realized and are trying to deny anything they can.

The only advice I can offer is if you do buy an extended warranty to buy it directly from the automaker and not through the finance guy at the dealership. I paid less than 50% of what the dealer wanted when I went directly to jeep. Also only buy warranty from the manufaturer as third party companies go out of business all the time.

Good luck!

Reactions: Ignatz

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I did a search and found nothing recent. My full warranty ended and my 5yr/60K drivetrain ends next year.

1. To those that don't know, when you buy any vehicle new, they offer you the extended warranty. The price they quote you is DOUBLE what it costs them and is negotiable. Although some Finance Managers like mine refused to negotiate and then refused to sell me an extended warranty. She also tried to screw me by doubling the interest rate kick-back. She failed to realize I was in auto financing before I retired.

2. My question is, what about those other companies like CarShield? What are the costs and what do they cover? Based on a lot of issues seen on this site, I think I need one because I plan on keeping this as my primary vehicle for the rest of my life.

3. Any thoughts or experiences?
You can buy a Mopar ext warr online. I bought one from a place in the Midwest for hundreds less than my dealer.
The dealer replaced the rollover valve for just the $100 deductible. It would have been ~$1300 I believe, but they’re “not allowed” to share what it cost them. They are horrible at diagnosing problems, so it took two times.
My wife’s Dart is in for a head gasket, and we shall see if it’s covered. At 70k miles, I should think so.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can buy a Mopar ext warr online. I bought one from a place in the Midwest for hundreds less than my dealer.
The dealer replaced the rollover valve for just the $100 deductible. It would have been ~$1300 I believe, but they’re “not allowed” to share what it cost them. They are horrible at diagnosing problems, so it took two times.
My wife’s Dart is in for a head gasket, and we shall see if it’s covered. At 70k miles, I should think so.
I hope it works out. I never trust a dealer. If there is a warranty that they deny, they get the money from you then submit it to the warranty and get that money too. They are crooks in my summation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
One positive, one negative, and them my humble opinion.

Positive: I got the lifetime warranty on my 2008 Patriot. Jeep threw it in free as an incentive. You might recall they were struggling to stay in business at that time. They replace my transmission twice, no questions asked. First time at 110,000 miles, second time at 270,000 miles. That second time I thought they might try to buy me out of it, but they fixed it.

Negative: I bought an aftermarket warranty on my 1988 Wrangler and when I needed it the warranty company was gone.

MHO: You're better off to save the money so when you need the repair you've got the money to pay for it. If you don't buy te warranty you don't have to hassle with the company to make them back it. Seems warranty companies like to hide behind technicalities, e.g., "Your engine failure was not due to a manufacturing defect. It simply wore out. That is normal wear & tear and is not covered."
I purchased 2009 and Jeep offered engine drive train life time warrantee. I don't think I'll ever get a replacement. I am on my second engine installed free.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am the OP and didn't get a factory extended warranty. I believe my only hope is to save up money for emergency repairs or find an after market warranty. My main questions to those that have them is what do they co0ver and what is the cost? I plan on keeping my Patriot forever.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
8,966 Posts
I am the OP and didn't get a factory extended warranty. I believe my only hope is to save up money for emergency repairs or find an after market warranty. My main questions to those that have them is what do they co0ver and what is the cost? I plan on keeping my Patriot forever.
I think your saving money for emergency repairs is the best strategy. Most of the warranties cover 'defects in manufacture' and that means they don't cover things that just wear out. They'd like to give you that impression when they sell you the warranty, but down the road (if they're still around) they're likely to say, "Hey, it wore out. Do you think it's gonnal last forever?" You can make a pretty good argument that if an engine goes for umpteen thousand miles then there was no defect in manufacture.

You're on the right track. Put away money for repairs every month like it was a car payment you have to make, except it goes in the bank where you know you've got it and you're not hoping the warranty company will come through with all the money you paid them. When something fails, and something will, you've got the money to fix it or <perish the thought> replace it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts