Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 30k tune up is around the corner and its time to replace the spark plugs (I'll do my own 30k maintenance; $300+ for the dealer to change plugs, filters, oil and rotate tires is way too much).

What have others been using as replacement plugs?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Get some cheap copper ones. That's all that it has now. The only plug that costs more than $1 that has had any neutral to improving qualities in our vehicles is the E3.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
Yea, I plan on putting Autolite Copper Cores in mine when it's due (in just about 6k miles). They ran great in my Dakota R/T 5.9L (that and one of the guys on the Dakota list had dynoed a bunch of plugs and the copper cores made the most power on his setup). I just replaced the 84k miled AC Delco Platinum's in my wifes GMC Sonoma (what a PITA by the way, you have to unhook the steering shaft from the steering box to get the #3 plug) with some Bosch Platinums and it's running pretty good now, but our Jeeps are spec'd for standard plugs, not platinums or any other extended service plug.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
The 30k tune up is around the corner and its time to replace the spark plugs (I'll do my own 30k maintenance; $300+ for the dealer to change plugs, filters, oil and rotate tires is way too much).

What have others been using as replacement plugs?
new spark plugs at 30K miles? is that really recommended by Jeeps in their 30K maintenance schedule?

yikes... :doh:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
new spark plugs at 30K miles? is that really recommended by Jeeps in their 30K maintenance schedule?

yikes... :doh:
Yes, read the manual and its one of the items listed in the maintenance schedule. Plugs at 30k was and is a normal time frame for normal run of the mill plugs. My old SRT-4 used to eat expensive NGK Platinum plugs every 20-25k miles, so I'll take the 30k schedule for normal plugs as normal maintenance.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Im actually quite surprised that our engines use copper core plugs. My 2001 corolla used iridium plugs that lasted around 70-80,000 miles.

All I know is, the engine was designed to use copper core plugs, so I will be replacing them with OE plugs at 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Yes, read the manual and its one of the items listed in the maintenance schedule. Plugs at 30k was and is a normal time frame for normal run of the mill plugs. My old SRT-4 used to eat expensive NGK Platinum plugs every 20-25k miles, so I'll take the 30k schedule for normal plugs as normal maintenance.
i don't have a Patriot...i currently have a Honda Civic. it's recommended to change the spark plugs at 90,000 miles :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,107 Posts
I have 33,000kms on my Patriot, I seriously can't imagine putting new spark plugs in.

My parents 2000 Supercharged Grand Prix JUST had the plugs replaced at 143000kms

I'm thinking its a bit early, I haven't noticed any poor performance or fuel economy to warrant changing them.

***nevermind you stated miles i'm thinking kms***

·
Registered
664 Posts
I bought the regular resistor type NGKs at O'Reilly Auto Parts. They're the exact same ones installed at the factory, down to the part number on the insulator.

They're cheap and easy enough to do, I don't have a problem doing them every 25-30K. Just make sure you have the right size Torx bit for them ("them" being the screw holding the coil to the valve cover)- I ended up having to get a set of Torx sockets since it was the one size I didn't actually have (I don't remember offhand what it was).

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Copper is a better conductor of electricity than platinum and iridium, but it is softer. Chrysler still sticks to copper plugs unlike most other OEMs, but they managed to double the service mileage than most cars 20+ years ago.

As easy as it is to replace them in our Jeeps, I will happily replace them at $1ea every 30k miles vs. $8ea every 90k.

Warning for anyone considering platinum plugs in their MK: other that have done it have experienced worse fuel economy and worse engine behavior (idling, specifically).

·
Super Moderator
8,662 Posts
I haven't changed the plugs in my Grand Prix since dinosaurs roamed the earth. Well, I think they were done once around 150K miiles, I'm approaching 250 now and the dealership said they are junk. I said it doesn't missfire and gets MPG in the high 20s. I'll change any plugs when its starts to skip. More important on my 4cyl Patriot because that would be 1/4 of the power lost, not counting the pressure to compress.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Frequent replacement prevents seizing of the plugs

As easy as it is to replace them in our Jeeps, I will happily replace them at $1ea every 30k miles vs. $8ea every 90k.).
There may be another benefit: The copper plugs changed every 30k miles don't have a chance to seize. I had heard of a problem with 90k plug changes - sometimes they can't be removed without stripping.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
There may be another benefit: The copper plugs changed every 30k miles don't have a chance to seize. I had heard of a problem with 90k plug changes - sometimes they can't be removed without stripping.
Very true, still you should always use anti-seize. That's the best way to prevent stripping the spark plug threads on an Aluminum head. :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
i have 66,500 miles right now and my Civic is 6 1/2 years old. could my spark plugs be seized already? i will have to take a look...

i just asked my co-worker who has a 2001 Civic and he said that he changed his plugs at 86,000 miles. maybe next time i take my car in for service i'll ask them to "take a look" and make a recommendation. if it's recommended that i replace them, then i'll just go to Autozone or NAPA and buy some and do it myself.

30K miles just seems SO early to be changing the plugs...but hey, if it gets your better MPG's and engine performance i guess it would be worth it

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
30K miles just seems SO early to be changing the plugs...but hey, if it gets your better MPG's and engine performance i guess it would be worth it
Kids these days...

We are talking about $5 for 4 spark plugs and 20 minutes of time! Your parents used to do this every 10k miles!

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
at 90k?

i don't have a Patriot...i currently have a Honda Civic. it's recommended to change the spark plugs at 90,000 miles :smiley_thumbs_up:
was it a big deal to change the plugs on the civic?
usually when cars have long interval, they make it more difficult to change.
as opposed to my neon, which was 30k intervals, and you could generally change them with your eyes closed it was so simple

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
was it a big deal to change the plugs on the civic?
usually when cars have long interval, they make it more difficult to change.
as opposed to my neon, which was 30k intervals, and you could generally change them with your eyes closed it was so simple
i actually have yet to change the plugs on my Civic. it's a 2003 and it only has 66,500 miles. yeah...it's a 6 1/2 year old car but i've had chats with my cousin who works for Honda (has sold us our vehicles since 1991) and he said it's entirely unnecessary to change them at the moment.

i also used to work with 2 ex-honda engineers at my previous company. they both were engineers on my generation of civic and they said that the factory recommendation of changing the plugs at 90K is actually conservative and i shouldn't need to change them until after 100K because they put very high quality robust plugs in at the factory. just to treat my car well, i will probably change them at 75K or 80K...since my car is under mileage and under regular driving habits they have reached a time when they should be changed due to possible socket corrosion and making it hard to get them out. honda civics rarely have plugs seizing though...at least from what i've been told.

i looked up what kind they put in, and they put in iridium plugs. i should be set for a while, but like i said i will probably change them at 75K or 80K miles and replace them with another set of iridium plugs. i will most likely go with Denso Iridiums since i've been told that they work very well with my engine and they last a while.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kids these days...

We are talking about $5 for 4 spark plugs and 20 minutes of time! Your parents used to do this every 10k miles!
And we can't forget about points and rotor caps either or non-silicone wires arcing at 20k miles and having to wait until its dark to see which one it is.

·
Off Road Enthusiast
1,391 Posts
Kids these days...

Hahah, I live in the 3rd Millennium! 30k miles is ridiculous. I'll be waiting, unless they did it at my 30k already.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts