Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently replaced the throttle body in 2011 Jeep Patriot, and I'm having a problem with the connector, it doesn't want to plug in all the way. I got it to work once and I believe it somehow wiggled itself out. The car runs the same with the connector completely disconnected. I was hoping to find some trick or something to get the connector fully secured on, but if not should I look into getting a new connector, and how would I even go about that? Should I take it to a dealership, or a regular shop?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
If the plug won't push in all the way, I would first check to see if any of the 6 pins in the throttle body side are bent, broke, or otherwise damaged. If o.k., then check the wire harness side carefully for damage to one on the female receptors. The female wire harness side could be replaced by splicing in a good one from a junk yard. Maybe the plastic tab system that holds the connector together is damaged? If so, maybe use cable ties to hold the connector together? I don't know what else to check regarding proper fit. There is a new throttle body replacement part that has a different pin connector (6 straight pins vs. the old 3 stacked on top of 3), but that would be very obvious.

White Camera lens Font Cameras & optics Auto part

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not much of a car person but decided to join the forum since I've been having the same constant issue.
Chrysler has been made aware about the throttle body issue.
I am in Illinois purchased a brand new 2017 Jeep Patriot Mojave Colored.
Since 2017 the Jeep has had 6 services for the full throttle body replacement. Chrysler was made aware when I stumbled upon a. Different forum for the same year of the Patriot I purchased.

the truckhas Literally been on the express way doing mphs (I have a sport and I like to drive) or more then all of a sudden I'm doing 30.

I was told by the dealer Chrysler is redesigning the throttle body because apparently Jeep patriots are designed with two plastic parts that melt off and causes the problems. Mexhnanic at the authorized dealer I purchased and gotten the throttle body replaced told me he has done mine several times and it's always the plastic.
Currently now trying to go about seeing if Chrysler will let people install aftermarket product without voiding their warranty. Currently two other car owners same issue same throttle design have been waiting 2+ months because the throttle is on back order.

it is a safety concern at this point andI have asked multiple times will there be a recall but Chrysler has said pretty much no due to life or death events that have occurred due to the throttle body failure

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Welcome to this great forum. Lots of great people here sharing information to assist each other. Chrysler introduced a new throttle body about a year or two ago (well, at least the connector is different). I have never heard of the melting plastic problem. In the past, the problem was identified as plastic gears that broke. We also don't hear of people having multiple throttle body failures over and over, so this is something new.

Thanks for sharing and let us know how this is resolved. I would be interested in finding out which plastic parts the dealer claims are melting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts