Jeep Patriot Forums banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Original CVT in my 2010 lasted 6 years I think(maybe 7), 97k miles. Started slipping at 82k because I had the fluid changed too late. Not sure if the Pentosin stuff that it was changed for was part of the problem, but I haven't used it since, just to be safe. Only Valvoline CVT fluid in the new unit, and it's been fine so far, though it's due for a fluid change now at nearly 140k on the odometer.
This was the original transmission in mine. So 2013 to 2022 when it finally gave out at around 124k miles isn’t bad is it? I mean, it should have never went out but still.

I’m being extra cautious with it for now. It has me spooked.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,293 Posts
This was the original transmission in mine. So 2013 to 2022 when it finally gave out at around 124k miles isn’t bad is it? I mean, it should have never went out but still.

My first CVT went to 110,000. The replacement took me to 275,000 -- so the tranny lasted 165,000. There are several members on this site that have gotten their CVTs past 200,000 miles. Sooner or later anything will wear out.

I've had several conventional trannies fail before 70,000 miles: 1986 Buick Electra, 1989 Olds Cutlass, 1997 Olds Bravada (all bought new). At the time I was driving 50,000+ miles per year, so those were only a year or so old. On the bright side my 2001 Grand Prix didn't fail to 245,000 miles. I'm saying, luck of the draw.

Do the maintenance at least every 50,000 miles and keep your fingers crossed. 🤞 Chances are you won't have two bad ones in a row. (y)

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,293 Posts
What if it’s financed . That’s crazy because , don’t you double labor ? So for a new cvt about 10k , rebuilt about 5k and junkyard about 1000 . But who wants something from the junkyard except a janky car salesman ?? I need a better job lmaoo !
It isn't that hard to install a transmission. A lot of the labor is buried in the remanufacturing process. I'm not sure what others have paid for installation because I was covered under the warranty so I paid nothing. I agree, a junkyard tranny is probably a waste of money unless you can find something young that was wrecked. Chances are a Patriot with 100,000+ miles is in the junkyard because the CVT failed. You buy it, you pay to get it installed and <zap!> it fails: you wasted the money installing it and good luck getting the junkyard to take it back and refund your money.

If you've gotta replace the tranny, get a factory rebuilt -- it should come with at least a 1-year warranty.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i think mines on it way out too... I made a thread on it if you wanna look but replacing the whole thing doesnt seem worth it to me for mine (given it has a small amount of rust and 413,000KM)
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Car Tire

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,964 Posts
What if it’s financed . That’s crazy because , don’t you double labor ? So for a new cvt about 10k , rebuilt about 5k and junkyard about 1000 . But who wants something from the junkyard except a janky car salesman ?? I need a better job lmaoo !
Labor varies, but a CVT from a nearly-matching Patriot that's not seen 30k miles yet should be fine, assuming it's from a Patriot with an intact front end. And if you're buying a vehicle financed, you're kinda SOL if something major breaks unless it's regular wear and tear as well as being under warranty, which it probably would be given that financing and warranties seem to last more or less the same amount of time on a brand new vehicle. I don't think much about the financing angle in that regard because I prefer to pay full price up front for something when I buy it rather than paying $$$$$$ for financing, and don't really want one of the rolling computers getting pushed out of automotive factories these days anyway.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,964 Posts

Definitely not too bad if it was never serviced. Mine also only popped on me because I didn't have it properly serviced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,
First time here, need some help/info/advice (and I hope you don't mind stupid questions:):)
2014 Pat , 4WD, with CVT/with Off-Rd Crawl , 137k
Transmission died on me when driving. Engine light came on. Had a couple of times transmission overheated light on before (last year).
I'm thinking of replacing it myself (junk yard tranny). My question is: can I swap my CVT with 6-speed auto (they are cheaper and I don't care to have CVT anyway, use my Pat for getting around town, local shopping, appointments etc).
Anybody did that kind of swap? Was it straightforward old out/new in?
I would appreciate any advice and/or comments.
Thank you!
Peter

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,111 Posts
Hi guys,
First time here, need some help/info/advice (and I hope you don't mind stupid questions:):)
Transmission died on me when driving. Engine light came on. Had a couple of times transmission overheated light on before (last year).
I'm thinking of replacing it myself (junk yard tranny). My question is: can I swap my CVT with 6-speed auto (they are cheaper and I don't care to have CVT anyway, use my Pat for getting around town, local shopping, appointments etc).
Thank you!
Peter
Hi Peter, welcome to the group. Sorry to hear about your problem. It's unfortunate that the manual is so misleading in regards to the CVT service interval. The CVT needs it's fluid and 2 filters replaced at least every 50-60k miles, and when that's not done, well... bad things happen to them. There is a thread one here (you can search for it in the "Search Community" box above, or maybe someone will drop a link to it) where someone did swap a 6 speed in place of their CVT. I don't think it was one with the FD2 package like yours though, and it definitely was not an easy swap. If I remember correctly, the TCU, some wiring, and a bunch of other stuff needed to be swapped too. So, it's probably possible, but unless you're going to do it yourself and have a lot of spare time on your hands, I really doubt it'll be worth it.

·
Administrator
7,730 Posts
Hi guys,
Thank you!
Peter

Hi Peter, unfortunately the 6 speed A/T won't swap directly into the FDII due to the FDII using different differential gearing.

Along with all the other things that would have to be changed, you'd have to re-gear the rear diff or replace it with one from the 6 speed AT donor vehicle.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,293 Posts
Hi guys,
Thank you!
Peter
I would beware of a junkyard tranny. A failed CVT may be why a Patriot (or a Compass or a Caliber) is in the junkyard. Many CVTs didn't get the maintenance they needed because the suggested intevals in the owners manual are inadequate. A re-manufactured transmission should come with a decent warranty. Then do the maintenance twice as often as the owners manual says. It should take you the distance.

·
Administrator
7,730 Posts
@Peter P, Ignatz raises a good point on junk yard transmissions.

Furthermore, it has to be from another FDII (due to gearing) and not many were made. Finding a good donor ( low mileage, later year, accident not affecting transmission ) Patriot or FDII Compass might be hard to come by.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts