Jeep Patriot Forums banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Not a bad deal, considering everything's more expensive now thanks to inflation happening now for....reasons. I'd say ask them if it's completely rebuilt or just the bad parts, and if it's a complete rebuild, then it's up to you whether you wanna bite the proverbial bullet on this or sell the Jeep. If you keep and fix it though, Jeep the Mac(kinac Bridge) is this coming weekend.
I’m a fix and keep kinda guy. I keep them until they absolutely won’t run anymore. The sucky thing is that the price of this repair is close to what I owe on it. Womp womp.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,293 Posts
Just got off the phone with the transmission shop. $3750 for a rebuilt one with a one year warranty.
I agree with @RossoRacer. That's not a bad price for a rebuilt with a warranty. Frankly, if it doesn't give you trouble in the first couple months/couple thousand miles, you're probably all set. Still, a year is reasonable. Most likely the re-manufacturer is giving the shop the warranty. When they get the replacement tranny, installation can be done pretty quick.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I agree with @RossoRacer. That's not a bad price for a rebuilt with a warranty. Frankly, if it doesn't give you trouble in the first couple months/couple thousand miles, you're probably all set. Still, a year is reasonable. Most likely the re-manufacturer is giving the shop the warranty. When they get the replacement tranny, installation can be done pretty quick.
I don’t think they are getting a replacement. It was my understanding that the shop has a guy there that rebuilds them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Sandstone, First off I have to say you are very helpful with solid information. I have been lurking on this forum since I bought the Patriot. I broke down 600 miles away from home and had the patriot shipped to me in NY. I was on the Blue Ridge Parkway and noticed a chirping noise so I headed to the nearest exit and ended up on the side of the road. No pedal at all. Got towed to a transmission shop where I was told the tranny was shot. No codes or high temp warning lights. So since then I have changed the fluid and the filters. Fluid looked decent and there wasn't a great deal of metal on the magnets. Patriot has 165,000 on it and the previous owner told me when I bought it that the tranny had been serviced at the dealer where they bought it from.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
If the transmission was shot, how did an oil and filter change manage to get it as far as it did? On the way home, it wouldn’t shift right but was fine otherwise.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,293 Posts
If the transmission was shot, how did an oil and filter change manage to get it as far as it did? On the way home, it wouldn’t shift right but was fine otherwise.
When my CVT started slipping (roughly around 175,000 miles) it was intermittent. Maybe only once or twice a day. You going through the mountains in Tennessee was probably pretty strenuous on the tranny.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
When my CVT started slipping (roughly around 175,000 miles) it was intermittent. Maybe only once or twice a day. You going through the mountains in Tennessee was probably pretty strenuous on the tranny.
Yeah the mountains killed it. We made it to the top of Pound Mountain on 23 just a few hundred feet from the Kentucky line. I’m happy it made it that far. There are worse places to break down through there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Mine was around 110,000 when the CVT failed. I didn't know the owners manual was wrong so I'd never changed the fluid.
I thought it wouldn’t happen to me but here I am. I knew about the fluid changing but hadn’t done it yet. I planned on doing it before our trip but ran out of time. I don’t know what we would have done if I changed it and found metal shavings. I wouldn’t have been comfortable driving it.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,111 Posts
Hopefully they just spilled a little when filling it. That filler hole is pretty small, and if you pour too fast into a funnel it can overflow. Hopefully you will have lots of worry-free miles.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hopefully they just spilled a little when filling it. That filler hole is pretty small, and if you pour too fast into a funnel it can overflow. Hopefully you will have lots of worry-free miles.
I was thinking it was probably fluid that had been spilled. The guy at the shop was trash talking cvts. Which I can understand now. I’ll be happy to get another five years out of it.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,964 Posts
Original CVT in my 2010 lasted 6 years I think(maybe 7), 97k miles. Started slipping at 82k because I had the fluid changed too late. Not sure if the Pentosin stuff that it was changed for was part of the problem, but I haven't used it since, just to be safe. Only Valvoline CVT fluid in the new unit, and it's been fine so far, though it's due for a fluid change now at nearly 140k on the odometer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If that's how it is now, the belt hasn't snapped yet but is probably in pretty sad state. Either way your options are brand new CVT for $4,000-$5,000 USD, rebuilt CVT for $2,000-$3,000, junkyard find for maybe $500-$2,000 depending on what you can find and how many miles are on it, or find another vehicle if you don't like the hassle.
What if it’s financed . That’s crazy because , don’t you double labor ? So for a new cvt about 10k , rebuilt about 5k and junkyard about 1000 . But who wants something from the junkyard except a janky car salesman ?? I need a better job lmaoo !

21 - 40 of 52 Posts