Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I took a long road trip (6 hours). It had been acting up all morning, lagging and seemingly slipping. It eventually started whining loudly and not shifting right.

So now, it’s in a shop in kernersville North Carolina. And we gotta get back to Kentucky tomorrow.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,111 Posts
Possibly just needs the fluid and both filters replaced. Should be done every 50k - 60k miles. When the fluid is worn out, that's what it does.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,293 Posts
What year and how many miles on it?

I'm afraid it's too late for a fluid/filter change. It should have been done at least every 50,000 miles. The owners manual is very misleading.

I think your best bet is a factory rebuilt tranny. That will take more than a day. Hello, Trailways? Or rent something, or call a friend . . .

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What year and how many miles on it?

I'm afraid it's too late for a fluid/filter change. It should have been done at least every 50,000 miles. The owners manual is very misleading.

I think your best bet is a factory rebuilt tranny. That will take more than a day. Hello, Trailways? Or rent something, or call a friend . . .
It’s a 2013 with around 125k miles on it. It hasn’t acted up this bad before.

·
Administrator
7,729 Posts
I'd agree with Ignatz, I think it's probably gone past what a fluid and filter change will fix. :(

This is what they mean when they say the fluid is "lifetime"; you change the fluid out with the transmission when the transmission fails due to the fluid and filters not ever being changed.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,111 Posts
Yeah, with those symptoms, it's definitely beyond a fluid & filter change.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
What Sandstone said. That's actually the important filter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got a fluid and filter change. Check engine light came on after about three hours. Rpm’s are fine they just bobble up and down a little around 2500-3000. Shifts fine. Stopping and let it cool off.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,964 Posts
Acting like it's in neutral while in drive or reverse? Mine took a few months of jerking every so often to eventually snap the belt and do that. Had I seen this sooner, I would have recommended not taking it back home without a transmission replacement, but at least you got close.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Acting like it's in neutral while in drive or reverse? Mine took a few months of jerking every so often to eventually snap the belt and do that. Had I seen this sooner, I would have recommended not taking it back home without a transmission replacement, but at least you got close.
I was hoping that the fluid and filter change would be all that it was. The weird thing is after it set for a few minutes it would pull in drive and I could press the gas and it would react.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,964 Posts
If that's how it is now, the belt hasn't snapped yet but is probably in pretty sad state. Either way your options are brand new CVT for $4,000-$5,000 USD, rebuilt CVT for $2,000-$3,000, junkyard find for maybe $500-$2,000 depending on what you can find and how many miles are on it, or find another vehicle if you don't like the hassle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If that's how it is now, the belt hasn't snapped yet but is probably in pretty sad state. Either way your options are brand new CVT for $4,000-$5,000 USD, rebuilt CVT for $2,000-$3,000, junkyard find for maybe $500-$2,000 depending on what you can find and how many miles are on it, or find another vehicle if you don't like the hassle.
What’s the luck on a rebuilt one? Can they last long?

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,964 Posts
If it's completely rebuilt rather than just a new belt being thrown in, I'd imagine they can last every bit as long with the proper maintenance, especially if you get one with a good warranty. That would indicate to me that whoever did the work places quite a bit of trust in their product.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If it's completely rebuilt rather than just a new belt being thrown in, I'd imagine they can last every bit as long with the proper maintenance, especially if you get one with a good warranty. That would indicate to me that whoever did the work places quite a bit of trust in their product.
Just got off the phone with the transmission shop. $3750 for a rebuilt one with a one year warranty.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,964 Posts
Not a bad deal, considering everything's more expensive now thanks to inflation happening now for....reasons. I'd say ask them if it's completely rebuilt or just the bad parts, and if it's a complete rebuild, then it's up to you whether you wanna bite the proverbial bullet on this or sell the Jeep. If you keep and fix it though, Jeep the Mac(kinac Bridge) is this coming weekend.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts