Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have been having trouble with myPatriot for some time now. I just dropped the pan to find thin metal strips in the pan. Car has been stuck in limp mode and won’t shift out of first gear.

any ideas what this may be?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, that pretty much looks like it’s one of those rings. Does that just put me SOL and need to replace my tranny? Thanks sandstone

·
Administrator
6,738 Posts
I really want to be wrong about this, but considering the damage to the sensor and with that much metal all over inside I think a replacement is in order.

Sorry man.. :(

·
Registered
294 Posts
What year is your Patriot?
What trim level and/or upgraded
How many miles?
Is the body in good shape?

You can find used transmissions for $1200+ online but with crazy high mileage. Most have a 6 month warranty if it’s a CVT model. You then need to pay for install which is running around $800, plus have dealer program it which is another fee. Some dealers might install it for you for around the same price and program, but they usually charge a fee for using outside parts.

A rebuild will probably run you around $3k and depends on the shop and their quality of work.

My Patriot is at the dealer right now for the transmission. Im paying $5k for a new one with 3 year/unlimited mileage warranty. Rest of car is perfect since I kept having to put money into it. I ran the numbers and the risk factors.

I couldn’t trust putting in a used one just for it to go bad tomorrow and I have to pay someone to replace it again. I couldn’t trust a rebuild because you’re dependent on a mom and pop and their honoring of a warranty.

You can’t buy a used car right now for the same price of any repair, unless it’s a total beater, and that’ll likely need repairs. So depending on the answers to my initial questions, you’ll need to pick 1 of those 3 options or go car shopping.

Reactions: Ignatz

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Sanstone and Mobucks. Pretty much convinced now it is the transmission. It is currently 2012 Jeep Patriot 4x4 with about 92k miles.

I really don’t want to invest about 4K into this rig as it has always been giving me overheating problems. Been on the side of the highway 30 plus times. However, with the current market there is no way I would get another 4x4 for 4K. So looks like I’ll have to take the dive and get it fixed. I’ll keep y’all posted how it goes!
Current pic below/
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Car

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yeah, man. I had to bite the bullet too. A few thousand is cheaper than a new/used car right now. That vehicle looks good, and if everything else is okay then it's worth it. Just drive it into the ground. That's exactly what I'm going to do when I get mine back from the dealer. I'm going to touchup some paint, do a few little upgrades (aftermarket radio/TV, wheels, etc) and drive it until it can't be driven anymore.

Reactions: Ignatz
1 - 7 of 7 Posts