Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/23/news/companies/mcdonalds-help-line-workers/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

McDonald's workers should have no problem qualifying for government programs like food stamps and heating assistance.

The hamburger chain pretty much admits that in a call made by a worker to "McResources"-- a helpline set up for its workers.

The advocacy group Low Pay is not Ok recorded a phone call made to the helpline by one McDonald's worker Nancy Salgado. The group circulated an edited video of the recording. CNNMoney reviewed the full recording of the call.

Salgado, who has worked at a Chicago McDonald's for 10 years and makes $8.25 an hour, asked the McResources representative a number of questions related to getting assistance to pay for her heating bill, her groceries and her sister's medical expenses. Salgado told the representative that she was recording the call for her sister.

The helpline operator never asked Salgado how much she made per hour, and how many hours per week she worked beyond the fact that she was a full-time employee. But she said that Salgado "definitely should be able to qualify for both food stamps and heating assistance."

The representative then pointed her toward a number of resources in Chicago, such as food pantries and a program that would help cover some of her heating bill. She said she would email her specific phone numbers and programs.

Related: The real budgets of McDonald's workers

The operator also explained that the McResources Line is available to help McDonald's workers who need help navigating the process of getting public assistance. The helpline's phone number is posted in fliers at many McDonald's locations.

But the line is not open to all McDonald's workers. Franchise owners need to pay for the service in order for their employees to use it.

Salgado's franchise owner in Chicago, for example, had not paid for the service. The operator said that none of the Chicago franchises had.

"We can be a good program," the operator said. "We can do a lot of the leg work that takes a lot of the stresses off of you making a million phone calls trying to find services."
Will fast food unions be the next movement?
Will fast food unions be the next movement?

News of the McResources Line comes a week after a report found that more than half of fast food workers have to rely on public assistance programs since their wages aren't enough to support them.

The report estimated that this public aid carries a $7 billion price tag for taxpayers each year.

A separate report by the National Employment Law Project released on the same day showed that McDonald's alone was responsible for $1.2 billion of that $7 billion alone.

The recorded phone call supports what the reports found and also the claims of hundreds of fast food workers that their pay is too low, they don't get scheduled for enough hours and they get no benefits. Since last November, workers have organized protests around the country, including New York City, Los Angeles, Memphis and Detroit calling for a minimum wage of $15 an hour and the right to organize without retaliation.

Earlier this year, McDonald's came under fire for releasing a budget planning guide for its employees. The sample budget it provided didn't account for either food or gasoline, a big expense for low income workers. The budget also left room for an income from a second job, which many called an admission by the fast food giant that its workers can't live on wages from one job at McDonald's.

McDonald's did not return a request for comment.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Again its fast food.. Its meant for people entering the working world... No skills required=low pay.. I worked it for a few years.. And I still believe people need to search for better jobs not complain that theyre not paid enough to flip a [email protected]n burger...

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup - two wrongs = working welfare.
Bless new age American prosperity.

·
Why so serious?
1,732 Posts
Again its fast food.. Its meant for people entering the working world... No skills required=low pay.. I worked it for a few years.. And I still believe people need to search for better jobs not complain that theyre not paid enough to flip a [email protected] burger...
This.

I not a big fan of school or having to work for a living as much as the next person, but I'm sure not settling for $8.25/hr period, let alone after a decade of service. The thought that these fast food workers think they deserve $15/hr for mindless work is infuriating. If that's the case, I think my work should be worth about $45/hr. :icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Min wage should be higher closer to 10.00 an hour but $15 is outrageous. Items in a convuence store or fast food restraint would go up by mire then double.. Raise min wage? Yes. Raise it to 15.00? No.. and this comes from someone making 9.00 an hour.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
Those jobs should be worked by high school kids, they are stepping stones to better jobs, not a lifetime career.

A lot of the kids I knew in High School worked at McDs, and a lot of us worked in gas stations pumping gas (one job eliminated by higher minimum wages), but none of us still work there.

Raise minimum wages more, and those McDonalds jobs might be done by machines too.

I bet that lady in the article has a high school diploma too. I also doubt she could qualify for a decent job due to the piss poor education system we have. We teach our kids to be good little worker drones.

So a really poor economy, and a bad educations system, plus mandatory minimum wages laws, all things decreed to be good for us, and run by our govt. making our lives better.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Min wage should be higher closer to 10.00 an hour but $15 is outrageous. Items in a convuence store or fast food restraint would go up by mire then double.. Raise min wage? Yes. Raise it to 15.00? No.. and this comes from someone making 9.00 an hour.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
while every industry has different costs of labor,
rising labor cost does not equal equivilant rise in cost
generally, labor can be 10%-30% of operational costs,
that aside, think salary should reflect the position,
a stock/cashier job is the same whether a 16 yr old does it or a +30 yr old trying to raise a family on it does it.
job is the same and should pay the same, with some variances at the owners discretion.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
All this while skilled machinist jobs remain unfilled. For 40 years we pushed the white collar workforce yet missed that we need builders, welders, machinists, mechanics and others who keep a modern industrial society working. Almost anyone who can hold a job at Walmart or McDonalds can learn a trade.

·
8,204 Posts
Again its fast food.. Its meant for people entering the working world... No skills required=low pay.. I worked it for a few years.. And I still believe people need to search for better jobs not complain that theyre not paid enough to flip a [email protected] burger...
You've got it exactly right. My career path started at McD's at minimum wage. I left and went to college and graduated into a recession. Got my old job back working nights ($2.60/hr -- 25c more than days) while I looked for a "real" job. I was the best guy they had and about 2 months into it McD's asked if I wanted to go into management training for exactly double what I'd been making. This was 1977 and I was at $180/wk when minimum was $2.35. I stayed several years, I was willing to move around (the management company* had several franchises in 2 different states).

I eventually became a store manager with a million $ budget and a comfortable income, (again, about double what I first got in management training). I hired umpteen kids like myself (and housewives working for the mortgage, and moonlighters at night who needed the extra bucks) and I'd tell any of them not to make a career at minimum wage. I had no problem being a reference for a good employee to get a better job. Frankly I didn't want people without ambition because they'd never amount to much as my employee. But I did want to hire people with goals and dreams, and I was glad to be a rung on their ladder.

I didn't make a career of running a burger joint either -- there is a glass ceiling on manager's salaries too, and you aren't going to run the place forever -- I went on into outside sales in the food business for some 30 years. I'm still at it, part-time now, and loving every minute . . . well, most minutes. ;)

Step 1: Get a job, any job
Step 2: Become the best they've got
Step 3: Make friends and be a friend -- you'll help each other along the way.
Step 4: Be content but not complacent -- always have a Plan B. Your job may not always be there.

*About the asterisk: Most McD's are privately owned, just like the hardware store downtown, or the garage where you take your Patriot.

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Who is supposed to staff and operate these fast food establishments for you to get your "dolla" menu items all day during the school day Dixie? What about at night when they should be studying or sleeping? ;)

Oh - whats a gas pumper - a Washington politician? Never seen anyone outside of the garden state pumping gas.

Those jobs should be worked by high school kids, they are stepping stones to better jobs, not a lifetime career.

A lot of the kids I knew in High School worked at McDs, and a lot of us worked in gas stations pumping gas (one job eliminated by higher minimum wages), but none of us still work there.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Ignatz that is exactly the right advice.

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So u think mcdonalds workers deserve $15/hr???
Should the part time college/high school student get $8-9 an hour part time W/O benefits - absolutely. Should the single mother working at the same place full time 40-50 hours a week be getting the same wage as well as no benefits - no.

But I guess there is a solution for snakey scum companies like walmart and mcdonalds to avoid paying higher wages and benefits - pass on the cost as they are doing now to the slimey tax payer like me and everyone else here!

Excellent idea right (the point of this article) :doh:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I can't hire enough aircraft mechanics right now. We have openings all across the country. Anyone working at McDonald's with a highschool diploma, can go to A&P school for around 7 to 10 grand, get grants to pay for it all, and then come out of school into a job working on aircraft for 40K a year. Starting pay. Including Ms Salgado. My company is hiring over 100 mechanics at ORD in Chicago in 2014. All it takes is the drive and desire to improve your situation. Hell, McDonald's paid the tuition for two people that I went to school with when I got my Airframe and Powerplant license. They would go to school during the day, work a few nights a week, and McDonald's was paying half of their tuition as long as they met minimum grade levels.
And Teresec, I have never worked anywhere, for any company, in any job where labor was not the single highest cost facing the business. Maybe at a small business where the owner doesn't count themselves and their pay as a cost to the business and there are only two or three other employees. But anything larger than that, Labor is almost always 50% or more of the total cost of running a business. And to offset that cost, prices have to rise. If they don't, the business soon ends up upside down and closes. I just finished my FY2014 budget for the smallest maintenance base I am charged with overseeing. 13 employees. Labor costs for 2014 are 63% of my budget.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Should the part time college/high school student get $8-9 an hour part time W/O benefits - absolutely. Should the single mother working at the same place full time 40-50 hours a week be getting the same wage as well as no benefits - no.

But I guess there is a solution for snakey scum companies like walmart and mcdonalds to avoid paying higher wages and benefits - pass on the cost as they are doing now to the slimey tax payer like me and everyone else here!

Excellent idea right (the point of this article) :doh:
Croat you've missed the point. If the single mother is relying on McDonald's as her sole source of income without actively trying to improve her own situation through some sort of education (she could do it online, in her own time), or just a better job, who's fault is that?
And, no, the taxpayer shouldn't be footing the bill for these subisdies. If the subsidies weren't there, the people working these jobs would have no choice but to move on to better things. People get into the wellfare and foodstamp programs and stay there for life. Why is that? Could it be because it inspires laziness and complacency? Raising the minimum wage is another "bandaid" fix.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Who is supposed to staff and operate these fast food establishments for you to get your "dolla" menu items all day during the school day Dixie? What about at night when they should be studying or sleeping? ;)

Oh - whats a gas pumper - a Washington politician? Never seen anyone outside of the garden state pumping gas.
as i said
job is the same and should pay the same, with some variances at the owners discretion.
if local manager cant fill position then they have to adjust,
lots of stores/business's pay step up from min wage to attract different class of employee's
some target college kids for their flexibility,
either way should be at managers discretion shouldnt be mandated by law.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
as i said
if local manager cant fill position then they have to adjust,
lots of stores/business's pay step up from min wage to attract different class of employee's
some target college kids for their flexibility,
either way should be at managers discretion shouldnt be mandated by law.
agreed. Same job=Same pay. If not your just asking for the ACLU to turn your parking lot into a circus.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts