Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2014 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4 with about 130k miles on it. It's regularly maintained and so far in pretty good condition. There are 2 noises I'm hearing though.

1. The Clunk. When I first start driving, there's a one time clunk sound when I begin driving. It sounds like something is setting into place. It's not any suspension issue (though i am getting a new front left control arm soon). It doesn't impact driving, stopping, turning, anything. It's just the daily clunk sound and I have no idea what it is.

2. The Whoosh. When I accelerate between 25 - 45 mph, there is usually a "whooshing" sound coming from the front end. It's been around for a while but also doesn't impact the overall handling or anything else. I plan on doing a couple of tranny flushes to see if that helps anything before I start taking apart the undercarriage.

Does anyone else have these sounds greeting them while driving around? Thanks in advance!!

KM

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd try checking the CV joints.

Look for grease on the boots and excessive play:
Thanks! I'll check it out when it's warmer outside and not raining. I had a control arm sitting around for weeks because of the weather.

KM

·
Administrator
5,973 Posts
Thanks! I'll check it out when it's warmer outside and not raining. I had a control arm sitting around for weeks because of the weather.

KM
Completely understand. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know I have a couple posts going at the moment but I was able to check out the cv axel and there’s a fair amount of play (passenger side) so I’m pretty confident that’s the issue. I’ll probably save up my pennies for that side and replace the control arm, axel, and steering knuckle assembly all in one go so I’m not continuously taking things off and on again. Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ouch. Just after the bumper to bumper ends. I'm going to hit the axle, control arm, and steering knuckle assembly all in one go. Pretty much just have to undo the control arm and get the rest out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts