Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!! my left tail light burn out... i went to replace the bulb and and i ran into the push pin problem! i have done some google searches about how to remove these pins but to no avail i cannot for the life of me get the off. Does anyone have any experience replacing the tail lights and getting through these pain in the arse plastic push pins?

I really didnt want to take it into the dealership for something so simple but it seems that chrysler has designed a system to get you to head back to their dealerships

thanks for your input

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
To get the pins out you must get the center "nail" of the pin out first.
Sometimes the "nail" will come out easily and other times you feel like you are going to tear it apart.
They end up a little mangled and that is why in the service manual it says to throw them away and install new ones.
These things make assembly really easy but maintenance (without cosmetic damage) a PITA.

There are two "push pins" and two ball-and-socket tabs.
The push pins are the ones that you can see with the tailgate open.

There are two parts to the push pin. There is an outer ring and the inner pin.

Use a pair of needle nose pliers or a screw driver to pry the inner pin out of the outer ring (there is a slot in the outer ring so that you can get the pliers or screw driver under the pin).

Once the push pins are out, pull the taillight assembly out. The ball-and-socket tabs are on the outer (opposite side) side of the taillight.
In the picture you can see the rectangular sockets in the body of the Jeep and the plastic balls molded on the taillight.
Note: Mine is a domestic '08 so there is a single brake/turn bulb and the reverse bulb.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Tail lite, push pins, bulb misprint

jbpatriot....my left tail light burn out... i went to replace the bulb and and i ran into the push pin problem!
After reading JoeBecker's picture post, you should also check out this link to save you further grieve...

http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28096

I had a tough time prying out the center plastic pin, because I later found out that the expansion 'wings' were stiffened by the cold. I then parked the Patty in a warmer place for a few hrs (in a mall underground garage 40 F) to soften the 'wing'. Next I wrapped a thick string, like a shoe lace, under the pin head, and pull like hell. Oh yeh, it was tough pushing the stiff wings back in. Had to use a piece of wood and hammer. Best to monkey around with the pins in the summer warmth, if possible.

Dependent on your model year, there may be a misprint in the owners' manual regarding lamp part number and lamp configuration.

You should update/edit your member profile info, so we get some idea on your general location, model yr, trim etc.

good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help, it is much appreciated! We are currently going through blizzaard like conditions here in southern ontario and i dont have access to the home garage so it is going to be tough to get those wings to warm up. I am thinking it be easier to go to the dealership and just get them to do it.... hmmm i wonder how much they will hose be for? I already bought the bulbs from canadian tire ( NUMBER 3157) i hope its the right part.

So first you pull out the center pin (soft plastic cap type piece) with pliers and then how do you pull out that second piece with the wings?

·
Registered
349 Posts
jbpatroit...i dont have access to the home garage so it is going to be tough to get those wings to warm up.
While you're socked in by the blizzard, think creatively on finding any free (or cheap) semi-heated garage in town.

I found a free underground garage in a shopping mall or in an office building or a in friend's highrise apt. around here. Surely Steel Town has such a spot. Useful to find an above-freezing spot to do quick repairs.

Note: Make sure passerby's don't think you're ripping-off somebody's car, and call the cops. I usually bring my wife as a stand in prop/decoy whenever possible, or put the spare tire on the ground beside me to have them think thatI'm working on a routine flat. LOL

You also need to pry the outer bigger piece out as much as possible with a blade screwdriver. Then wind an old shoelace around the narrow gap; pull the shoelace and plastic flange away from the metal body, with a steady & hard force. bonne chance.

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
The "idea" is that the pin spreads the wings and that once removed the wings will retract....

sometimes you get lucky and the winged piece will come out with little difficulty and then other times it is like what pierre describes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for all the help... that seemed like too much work to just change a tail-light. But i couldnt have done it without all your help. I finally ended up getting the push pin out by grasping the middle piece with needle nose pliers and wiggling side to side with a tad bit of pressure. Almost gave in a went to the dealership, but one last attempt did the trick.

boy did i have fun in that snowstorm today! love the jeep and its 4x4 capabilities... i had to tell the girlfriend to turn off "esp" when the 4x4 was on. lol

P.S. dealership said they would have done it for free, just need to buy the bulb from them $8 overpriced dollars.

·
Registered
822 Posts
A hair dryer might help to warm it up if you don't live in south Texas. I was able to use two scredrivers with one on each side of the center pin to get the center pin out and then the same to get the outer insert out. I re-used them, as they weren't damaged hardly at all.

·
Registered
578 Posts
if you can get it out far enough with a flat head screwdriver, use needle nose pliers to pull them out. i know i feel like i may break them but never had. removed them 3 times already. if you break one, thats ok but dont break both. and when you put the cover baqck on, use force to pop the light fixture back into place.

·
Registered
822 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Use WD40 or liquid wrench

Thank you to the poster who said try WD40, I never would have thought of that. After almost ruining one push pin I went to the dealer, but they were closed. So after reading the WD40 post I pried up one end of the 'nail' and sprayed WD40 into it. After that it was easy to pry up the 'nail' with a flat head screw driver. I also used two flat head screw drivers at the same time on the next 'nail' which made it easier too. After the WD40 treatment they just pop right out. Also, the amber light will not work, it has tabs that prevent it from going in so you must use the clear light #3157.

·
Registered
15 Posts
these plastic clips are so terrible. SO TERRIBLE!

i wish i'd thought to check the forum before i spent 35 minutes wrestling them out to change a bulb. like a previous commenter, i also ended up using the back end of a small hammer to finish prying them off, and ended up breaking one of the wings off the bottom pin. i briefly considered WD-40, but didn't end up doing it, and now i wish i had.

has anyone ordered that package of 25 as listed in the link in this thread? do we know for sure that's the right piece? the unit seems pretty secure but i'd still feel better with an unbroken clip.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts