Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with the brake lights on my wife's 07 Compass. They don't work only the third brake light comes on. I think it is because I have been using a universal trailer light harness. They stopped working saturday when i hooked up the trailer but they worked in the past. I have since removed the harness but the brake lights still don't work all other lights work fine. Anyone have this issue and how did you fix it?

·
Registered
144 Posts
maybe the dual filament blew, sometimes, you can have the bulb still light up (when you turn the headlights on), but the "brighter" part doesn't work (when you press the brake). its strange that both will blow at the same time. does your harness call for a upgraded fuse?

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
Check out this thread

Parking lights turn on but no brake lights.3rd brake light works but that's it.The bulbs looked half dark but not blown I changed the bulbs but still nothing.
If our electrical senses a short it stops sending power to it all together but the only way to get it fixed is to go to the dealer so they can tell the computer to turn it back on.every single wire goes through a module.Pretty neat stuff.Probably would stop some electrical fires or burning more stuff out.

Taught me a lesson though don't use a universal trailer wiring on your pat.I bought the OEM one and it woks perfect now.
The problem was that you were using the non-powered version, right?
Don't use this or similar
Hopkins Hoppy Part#: 48925

It will draw power from the taillights.
It worked initially, but at some point the TIPM (totally integrated power module) saw a spike in Amps and shut it down.

Use one of these:
The ones that have the powered converter, the little "brain box" contains relays just like the OEM, should not have problems.
Modulite Harness - etrailer.com

Hopkins you would want to use:

Power Taillight Converter (Solid State)
Part#: 46255

What bugs me is that the parts shops - Oreilly's, AutoZone, Advance, NAPA, etc - all only carry the "old style" non-powered harnesses that just steal power from the taillights. This is fine for older vehicles but not newer vehicles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is what I figured anyone know what it will cost to have it fixed? I will have to spend more now to get it fixed then it would have cost to buy the right harness.

·
Off Road Enthusiast
1,391 Posts
Lamps are CHEAP. You're really only out the cost of the harness.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not the lamps I already checked. I have to take it to the dealer so they can turn them back on. The computer shut them down because too much power draw.

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
Not the lamps I already checked. I have to take it to the dealer so they can turn them back on. The computer shut them down because too much power draw.
The only thing you could try on your own might be disconnecting the battery for 10 mins or so to see if it will reset.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts