Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2014 Patriot Latitude 4x4. I plan on using synthetic oil for my oil changes. I seem to recall when synthetic first came out that the recommendation was to hold off awhile (first 10,000 miles?) before using it. I believe it had to do with synthetic preventing the piston rings from seating properly. Is that true, or can I use synthetic from the first oil change on?

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
All my vehicles get synthetic on the first oil change, never any issues. Castrol syntec.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Patriot, North Ed.
338 Posts
They recommend not changing your oil the first time until you have to. This is for breaking-in purposes and to make sure that contaminates from the manufacturing process have time to be picked up by the oil and so that it does not contaminate the new oil.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Synthetic oil is used in just about everything sold today that uses an internal combustion engine! Why?? Cause the EPA has pushed it down everyone's throat,claiming,it's better for the atmosphere,while giving ya better fuel economy.And if ya believe that,then I got a bridge I wanna sell ya.Infact,I got a whole bunch of bridges for sale.:giggle::giggle:

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Based on my participation on that wacko oil forum, the break in procedure is not quite as critical as it was decades ago. Does FCA owners manuals still recommend that wide open throttle procedure during the first few miles of ownership? They were the last hold out. Honda aficionados go back and forth about their engines having a high moly break in oil from the factory that maybe shouldn't be changed out early. Many question if even the early first change at about 1000 miles is no longer needed due to much cleaner engine machining and assembly procedures.

I changed to synthetic at about 2,000 miles. No problems, no oil burning/usage. I think one instance where proper break in oil and procedures is needed is with rebuilt engines that don't have the same finesse in a shop compared to an engine factory.

Yes, no need to wait until 10K miles to go synthetic.

AT CROAT: SENT YOU A PM "CONVERSATION" ABOUT SPARK PLUGS. IS THERE AN ALERT FOR "CONVERSATIONS"??

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
No I don't get alerts and forget to check for messages.

Also this is a 6 year old thread!

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
No kidding, I did a double take on the date lol! :D

Reactions: Treegrower

·
Registered
Patriot '09, 2,4 cvt 4wd
168 Posts
But this is a 2014 car. So not a first oil change.
I would stick to the oil the previous owner used.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts