Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm relatively new to the forum and to the Jeep Patriot, so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question.

Would there be any issues if I were to switch out my 17" wheels for 15" wheels? I'm looking at tire suggestions (here and elsewhere) and it seems there's more options for the 15 size than for my stock 17's.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,075 Posts
Hi, welcome!

The biggest issue you'll have is finding a rim that clears the calipers and struts.

I have Ravine rims that came stock on some TJ's., they're very close to the calipers but fit without problems. The only problem I had was when I replaced the factory front struts with Monroes; the Monroes are built a little different and rubbed so I had to modify (as in grind) the struts a little.

Others have also used Ravines without issues.

Discount Tire has a thread of various 15" rim and tire combinations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would spacers help with the clearance issue? Or would that totally jack up steering/suspension?

·
Super Moderator
4,075 Posts
Several here have used wheel spacers, but IMO It's best if you can find a rim with the correct offset / back spacing so you don't have to use them. Just one less thing to worry about, and in some states using spacers is illegal.

·
Super Moderator
4,075 Posts
I should mention too, that rims with a spoke design that curves out away from the calipers are more likely to clear than a design that curves in:

Ravines (curves out, fits)

Canyons (curves in, doesn't fit)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Will using the smallest spacer make the canyons clear the brakes..got a set.sitting here doing nothing and thought I'd put them on in winter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts