Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 months ago I got an Apple CarPlay touch screen stereo installed alone with some 2 new speakers. Everything was going smoothly until recently this past week, week and a half I’ve been having to continually jump my battery in order for the car to start.(yes I’m aware constantly jumping the battery isn’t good for it) I took it to advanced auto parts to get a battery and alternator test. Both came back good. The guy at advanced auto parts assumed it was my LED lights I swapped in so I bought halogens again hoping it would fix the problem. It did not. I took it to Christian brothers automotive and they said that my Apple CarPlay stereo is drawing too much power from the battery and is draining it. I’ve had the stereo for 2 months with no issues until now. Is this something that could really happen? It just seems odd that a stereo could be draining my battery in such a way. Any thoughts, tips, ANYTHING. Would be helpful. Thanks in advance and have a great day!

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,111 Posts
All radios will draw power while the vehicle is off, to remember your presets, keep time, etc. It's possible that something inside the radio is drawing too much power and it's possible that it was working fine at first and just started acting up. To tell for sure if it's the radio, try removing the fuse when you park it overnight...if the battery keeps dying with the fuse pulled than it's not the radio.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All radios will draw power while the vehicle is off, to remember your presets, keep time, etc. It's possible that something inside the radio is drawing too much power and it's possible that it was working fine at first and just started acting up. To tell for sure if it's the radio, try removing the fuse when you park it overnight...if the battery keeps dying with the fuse pulled than it's not the radio.

Is there a tutorial on how to remove the fuse? I had Best Buy install everything so I’m not sure what I’d be doing

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,111 Posts
I agree with Sandstone on taking it back to BestBuy. But you can find info on fuses in your Patriot's Owners Manual.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I put in my stereo, I struggled with it. I ended up wiring it wrong. I could turn my stereo on even with my jeep completely turned off. My stereo felt very warm all the time. I ended up figuring out I had to hack the cigarette lighter line for one hot wire, but was able to use the "always on" wire in the stereo wire bundle for the memory function.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an 08, and when I put in a nice after market stereo, my car kept draining dead. Drove me nuts. We couldn’t figure out what was wrong at all. One day the radio was dead-no power to it. So I made my fiancé put my factory one back in. No more dead car… fun fact my horn also didn’t work. We still
Haven’t figured out why. Maybe the after market remote start clashes, or the patriot doesn’t like aftermarket stereos 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
2 Posts
OMG! I'm so glad to read I'm not the only one!
I have a 2011 Patriot and just got a new aftermarket touch screen stereo..as we all know Jeep has something against touch screen/blue tooth stereos lol. My hubby installed it, what would usually take 20 mins took several hours, had to buy several different wiring harnesses because even though the box and employees at auto store said it'll work, it would not. Now the problem.. The stereo is draining my battery dead. I'm order to listen to music I have to plug the stereo back in. Even if we turn it off, it's still on, still has full power even with no key in ignition. I'm about to have hubby just plug my factory stereo back in and just use Bluetooth the old fashioned way.... With a wire! Any help , comments or concerns would be appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2011 Patriot and just got a new aftermarket touch screen stereo..as we all know Jeep has something against touch screen/blue tooth stereos lol. My hubby installed it, what would usually take 20 mins took several hours, had to buy several different wiring harnesses because even though the box and employees at auto store said it'll work, it would not. Now the problem.. The stereo is draining my battery dead. I'm order to listen to music I have to plug the stereo back in. Even if we turn it off, it's still on, still has full power even with no key in ignition. I'm about to have hubby just plug my factory stereo back in and just use Bluetooth the old fashioned way.... With a wire! Any help , comments or concerns would be appreciated.
I’d just put the old one back in. That’s what I did. It was a nightmare! I had to order a new face plate because my original wasn’t going to fit the stereo, then an adapter for the antenna, and the wiring harness…. It was so not with all the extra money and aggravation. On top of a dead car! I have an aux port so I found a Bluetooth aux adapter, and just Bluetooth my phone to the radio that way. It is what it is, but it’s better than dead lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
They did what I did originally. My power and memory were originally combined to the same wire.

You can either hack your cigarette lighter line for the ignition wire or you have to add a circuit/fuse off of something in your fuse box that only runs when the car is started.

I'm eventually going to add the circuit because running of my lighter causes a short that zaps the memory every so often when I'm charging my phone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2 months ago I got an Apple CarPlay touch screen stereo installed alone with some 2 new speakers. Everything was going smoothly until recently this past week, week and a half I’ve been having to continually jump my battery in order for the car to start.(yes I’m aware constantly jumping the battery isn’t good for it) I took it to advanced auto parts to get a battery and alternator test. Both came back good. The guy at advanced auto parts assumed it was my LED lights I swapped in so I bought halogens again hoping it would fix the problem. It did not. I took it to Christian brothers automotive and they said that my Apple CarPlay stereo is drawing too much power from the battery and is draining it. I’ve had the stereo for 2 months with no issues until now. Is this something that could really happen? It just seems odd that a stereo could be draining my battery in such a way. Any thoughts, tips, ANYTHING. Would be helpful. Thanks in advance and have a great day!
Hello. There also relays in your car and they may fail in the closed position [turned on] . This happened to me .

·
Registered
4 Posts
They did what I did originally. My power and memory were originally combined to the same wire.

You can either hack your cigarette lighter line for the ignition wire or you have to add a circuit/fuse off of something in your fuse box that only runs when the car is started.

I'm eventually going to add the circuit because running of my lighter causes a short that zaps the memory every so often when I'm charging my phone.
Please let me know how that works .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts