Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So slightly bad judgement on my part... I wanted to get my pat a little dirty on Friday, so I took it down a powerline trail by my house and misjudged the depth of a puddle. The driver's side of the jeep was submerged about up to about 4 inches above the door:doh:. I go it towed out but there was a puddle of water inside the jeep. I shopvacced most of it out and then went to the local Delta Sonic carwash and went through the interior and exterior washes twice. Everything was fine the rest of that day. On saturday however i got in it around 7 am and while driving it i noticed my seatbelt warning light wouldnt go off...then it started. I would put a directional on and it wouldnt go on for 5-10 seconds and would be delayed just as long when turning off. This was true for everything operated by the steering wheel stalks. I took it straight to the dealer because i have a 90 day warranty on it so I was going to claim fault on them because they had to fix the cruise control before i bought it. What do you guys think? How screwed am I?:(

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
I think its good you washed it twice before going to the dealer. Apparently there are wires under the drivers side carpet that control the 4x4 system that get corroded pretty easily. I imagine whatever other wires are down there are susceptible as well

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i actually washed it two more times after the initial two haha. I am very anal about my cars

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
Well, at least you didn't hydro lock the engine. Given some time, the electronics should dry out and return to working normal. You may want to look for any wire plug/connector assemblies and disconnect them one at a time and blow them out with air.

·
Registered
74 Posts
...I took it straight to the dealer because i have a 90 day warranty on it so I was going to claim fault on them because they had to fix the cruise control before i bought it. What do you guys think? How screwed am I?:(
So they fixed the cruise control, you swamped it, now you have an electrical problem and are blaming them? Sorry mike, I've got no special love for car dealerships, but that just ain't right... :doh:

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
So slightly bad judgement on my part... I wanted to get my pat a little dirty on Friday, so I took it down a powerline trail by my house and misjudged the depth of a puddle. The driver's side of the jeep was submerged about up to about 4 inches above the door:doh:. I go it towed out but there was a puddle of water inside the jeep.

·
POTM Winner AUG. 09.
4,679 Posts
As I have stated so often --The Patriot is just a cheap family station wagon that just happens to have 4x4 & Jeep written on the front & back.

You dont have to go out searching for its limitations---but I think you just did ..

Dont forget its not a Land Rover!!

·
Registered
479 Posts
As I have stated so often --The Patriot is just a cheap family station wagon that just happens to have 4x4 & Jeep written on the front & back.

You dont have to go out searching for its limitations---but I think you just did ..

Dont forget its not a Land Rover!!
ROFL LAND ROVER?! you aren't serious are you? Those things are far from what they used to be. Most now are overgrown cars with far to much lux equipment. They roll stock with like 20's.

The last true Land Rover was the Defender. Everything else since has been crap ;)

·
POTM Winner AUG. 09.
4,679 Posts
LR

Sorry should have made it clearer....The only Land Rover is the Defender !!

The others are - Haiundai -Kia -Toyota look alikes--Now owned by the old Colonials!!

·
Registered
479 Posts

The others are - Haiundai -Kia -Toyota look alikes--Now owned by the old Colonials!!
rofl...

I wanted an old defender... but i also want a 60s bronco / 68 Mustang / to beef up the TJ / and a new Boss 302.

I dont think ill be getting one anytime soon lol

·
Judge Dredd
520 Posts

Too true mate, my 90 gets submerged up to and sometimes over the windscreen up to snorkel level and keeps going, get through the water, open the door let the water out and keep going! No electrical issues, ever! It will off road all day every day and never complain, but then that's what its built for, the Patriot isn't.

My Discovery will usually go where the 90 goes but I dont submerge it as deep due to having carpets inside! Still its a great bit of kit, yes some Land Rovers have their foibles but no vehicle is perfect and looking through this forum and any other forum no matter how much people love their cars and criticise other makes they have to accept that their vehicles have limitations and faults like any other.

If I had a tenner for every American I know on Land Rover forums desperate to buy my 90 I'd be seriously rich not to mention the prices offered for it which are sky high!

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
TJ99er, that's not the case. I own both a Jeep Patriot 2010 and a LandRover Discovery 2005. The Disco is the eighth Discovery that I've owned. The two cars are absolutely poles apart. The Patriot is, as Tiptronic says, an excellent runabout with some off-road/trail capability, but it is no match for the Landy whatsoever. The Discovery has off-road abilities way beyond the Patriot. But so it should. When new, a Discovery is between a half as much again and double the price of a Patriot.
It has a low range gearbox, pneumatic elevation for wading purposes (it can wade two to two and a half feet of water), automatic raising and lowering facility for towing attachment and, when it comes to towing, it can pull safely almost double the weight that my Pat can.
Comparing a LandRover Discovery with a Patriot is as impossible as comparing a Pat with a Grand Cherokee. In fact, I'd say that's exactly what you would be doing.
Why have I got a Patriot then? Easy. Now that I'm retired I can afford to fill up and drive the Patriot. The Pat (diesel) does about thirty-eight to the gallon. The Disco (diesel) does about twenty-five. What's that you said? "That's not too bad?" It is when you're paying about eleven dollars a gallon; as you guys are sure to find out one day.

Rocal

Sorry, Borderspeed! I was writing my post as yours was already winging its way across the Atlantic!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts