Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Use the SEARCH feature
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we should disable/remove the shoutbox.

New users confuse it for the search box and old users dont have much conversation in it anyways.

It doesnt hurt anything being there, but its not much use either.

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Whats the shoutbox :D

·
Administrator
466 Posts
The shoutbox as you it appears at the top on the main page: http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/ - basically this is a chat, @croat.

Thank you for your suggestion @breadtruck. If there is a census of others who feel the same way as you do, we can present the idea to the mods and see they'll agree to removing this entirely. If other members of the community can chime in here, let us know your thoughts on removing or keeping the shoutbox chat - thanks!

Cheers,
Natalie

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
I was kidding BTW but seriously I have one of the largest post counts and never used the chat once!

·
8,125 Posts
Croat is not alone; I've never used it either.

I haven't compared post counts, but I'm sure I'm up there. If Wifey ever finds out I'm good as dead!

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
i have only been here 10 years
and have no idea what a shoutbox is
is that a feature on new forum?
i still use classic view mode i may not see it

·
Super Moderator
5,055 Posts
As you said, it doesn't hurt anything being there and you can always minimize it if you don't like the look of it. That being said, if the mods would like it taken down, we can do it. @breadtruck @Sandstone

Niall
I haven't used it much, it maybe 3-4 times. Others do, but it is mistaken a lot for a search box.

As far as keeping it or removing it, I'm fine either way.

I suppose we could put up a poll and see what kind of member feedback we get.

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Top 10

JeepPatriot Ebay Bot 47,425
dixiedawg 12,879
croat 10,381
jepstr67 8,921
Creation 6,957
aroundincircles 6,780
the_jeep_now 6,140
Ignatz 4,977
silvermike 4,771
MrJeepR44 4,710

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
as the person with the 6th highest number of posts, I have never used it, looked at it, or knew it was there. If it is used for its intended purpose, then keep it, but if people are confusing it for a search box, or posting questions there, and not in an appropriate thread, that deserve to be in a thread, I would say ditch it. Looking at what's in there it looks to be a vast majority of people trying to search for a topic.... so it is more confusing I would say than helpful.

On a separate note, Croat, do you think you will Ever catch up with dixidawg (rip)?

·
Administrator
466 Posts
I haven't used it much, it maybe 3-4 times. Others do, but it is mistaken a lot for a search box.

As far as keeping it or removing it, I'm fine either way.

I suppose we could put up a poll and see what kind of member feedback we get.
I looked and I can see some members mistaking it for a search box but I am sure they realized shortly after and moved onto the search bar. However, the poll is an idea.

As Niall mentioned, it is not doing any damage at the moment and can be minimized so we can take that into consideration.

Top 10

JeepPatriot Ebay Bot 47,425
dixiedawg 12,879
croat 10,382
jepstr67 8,921
Creation 6,957
aroundincircles 6,780
the_jeep_now 6,140
Ignatz 4,977
silvermike 4,771
MrJeepR44 4,710
Fixed :D

JB

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Been not posting much lately, but I am sure I will.
Whats the rip? for

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Anybody know what ever happened to Dixie?

And yes Croat, you are miles ahead of me. Betcha not married!

Passed away a couple of months ago. Not sure exactly what happened.

Croat is married, I think the patriot is his wife's driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
8,125 Posts
Passed away a couple of months ago. Not sure exactly what happened.
That's sad. He was a real regular on here. I figured he just sold his Patriot.

Croat is married, I think the patriot is his wife's driver.
Mrs. Croat must have the patience of a saint. If I spend very much time at my computer Wifey shows up with a "Honey-do" list. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
How he go, thought he was low 60's?

Yea married - 2 young kids - Jeep is lady car - and I post most at work ;)

·
8,125 Posts
Hey aroundincircles, how did you find out he'd passed? After I saw your post I did a little detective work and found his obituary. It said 'unexpected' so I guess it was sudden. People come and go on the site for various reasons, but we don't know much more about each other. Could just be that someone's posting on different threads. Seems a year or so ago another of our regulars was hospitalized for an extended period and I/we didn't know until he announced his return. At this point I forget who it even was. Someone from western Canada as I recall.

The anonymity of the internet is nice, but our "friends" are only represented by so many words on a screen and an occasional photo.
we share condolences when someone loses a family member, but who's to tell us when the member himself is the one that passes. How would we know? Were I to go, my Wife doesn't even know my password to the site to even tell anyone. Doubt Dixie's wife did either.

When we lose someone, especially as regular contributor as he was, we discover how little we know about each other.

·
Use the SEARCH feature
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As you said, it doesn't hurt anything being there and you can always minimize it if you don't like the look of it. That being said, if the mods would like it taken down, we can do it. @breadtruck @Sandstone

Niall
I actually had it minimized before I became a mod.
I really don't mind if its there or not personally, I just keep seeing new users being confused by it and thinking its the search box. I would say 95% of the posts in it were intended to be a search instead.

Whatever you want to do is fine with me. I just feel, based off my observations, that it would be a bit more "new-user" friendly if it went away.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Hey aroundincircles, how did you find out he'd passed? After I saw your post I did a little detective work and found his obituary. It said 'unexpected' so I guess it was sudden. People come and go on the site for various reasons, but we don't know much more about each other. Could just be that someone's posting on different threads. Seems a year or so ago another of our regulars was hospitalized for an extended period and I/we didn't know until he announced his return. At this point I forget who it even was. Someone from western Canada as I recall.

The anonymity of the internet is nice, but our "friends" are only represented by so many words on a screen and an occasional photo.
we share condolences when someone loses a family member, but who's to tell us when the member himself is the one that passes. How would we know? Were I to go, my Wife doesn't even know my password to the site to even tell anyone. Doubt Dixie's wife did either.

When we lose someone, especially as regular contributor as he was, we discover how little we know about each other.

we were facebook friends. I saw somebody post a RIP post on his page the week after his funeral. It really made me quite sad.

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
I agree - it's sad with online communities and autonomous profiles that we not only fail to realize the realities of mortality but online extensions of our mortality. If I did know I would have posted something in memorial but had no idea, if you could share it would be nice.

Makes you think tho - my wife knows I post here but how would she know how to share? I have been through only a few others who have passed on other car sites over the years however only knew because their better halves were part of the community. If something happened to me for example none of you would know aside from my permanent absence.

Ignarz, you can't say that you knew little about him or each other but rather we knew/know more than you think .... its just the way that we communicate that creates the issue.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts