Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Like the title says I replaced the subframe on my 09 (thanks to those who helped in my other post) and now the dash is lit up like an xmas tree on the test drive.. RR speed sensor is not functioning.. I used an Autel with live data to confirm...
Problem still persists after replacing with a duralast sensor..
My question is how often does the encoder cause the problem? it is VERY crusty and the retaining clip is rusted off... It does however still seat properly but no dice on reporting the rpm... Any easy way to test sensor? I guess I could buy a new hub connect it and spin it?
I know it still could a wiring issue but I am skeptical to that as the problem started after the subframe swap.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!!!

·
Administrator
8,545 Posts
Hub tone ring failures aren't super common, but it does happen.

If the Autel has the ability to graph data, compare the bad wheel signal to one that is good, that might give you some ideas for starters.

A good sensor and a tone ring with a bad spot would produce repeatable glitches at the same interval compared to a good sensor and good tone ring.

A bad sensor would always give a messed up signal or no signal at all.

This vid shows you what a brand new wheel hub with a bad tone ring can look like:

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport
5,488 Posts
Maybe that sensors wires got crimped or damaged during the swap?

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,454 Posts
If you replaced the sensor, double-check to make sure that it's plugged in all the way until it clicks. I've made that mistake before. If it doesn't click, it's not plugged in all the way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hub tone ring failures aren't super common, but it does happen.

If the Autel has the ability to graph data, compare the bad wheel signal to one that is good, that might give you some ideas for starters.

A good sensor and a tone ring with a bad spot would produce repeatable glitches at the same interval compared to a good sensor and good tone ring.

A bad sensor would always give a messed up signal or no signal at all.

This vid shows you what a brand new wheel hub with a bad tone ring can look like:
South Main Auto is a great youtube auto repair channel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I ordered a new hub to test. I will update the post after the weekend. This way I can plug the old sensor in (I think its good) and spin the hub to check before I tear it out...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just fyi - if the "new" sensor is an auto parts store aftermarket part, that could be an issue. When it comes to any kind of electronic sensor, I have had hit/miss (more miss than hit) experiences using a non OE Mopar replacement part. Things like cam, crank, and wheel speed sensors, I ALWAYS try to find an OE Mopar part. Been my experience with various Mopar vehicles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well for what it's worth it was the hub...New hub came in and I plugged the original speed sensor in and checked it on the autel and it's happy now... I'll pop the new hub in tomorrow and take it for a test drive so the next problem appears hahaha... Thanks for the help and suggestions!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just fyi - if the "new" sensor is an auto parts store aftermarket part, that could be an issue. When it comes to any kind of electronic sensor, I have had hit/miss (more miss than hit) experiences using a non OE Mopar replacement part. Things like cam, crank, and wheel speed sensors, I ALWAYS try to find an OE Mopar part. Been my experience with various Mopar vehicles.
I agree... When I did the crank sensor I used OEM... The replacement wheel sensor was a duralast I bought because it was late and was hopeful to wrap it up that night... before I replace the hub I'll remove the aftermarket and reinstall the oem and test to make sure the aftermarket at least is reporting to use as a spare that I'll never need!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts