Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Long story short, I lifted the vehicle using the rear jacking points and thought it would be reasonable to use the frame rails for the jack stands in the rear as they are the jack point in the front... wrong. Turns out the forward "2" frame rail area is reinforced. I now have some minor dents in each side rear frame rail where the stands were, but more on the passenger side. The passenger-side dent slightly affects the "wall" of the frame rail wall and not just the flat top or corner of the top of the frame rail.

I did this due to the lack of room in the rear concerning floor jack and jack stand space. I know some folks use the lower control arm where it mounts to the subframe for jacking but i digress. My new approach is to diagonally position the floor jack and lift the rear "2" location then use jack stands with rubber adapters on the pinch welds to prevent bending. Just enough room.

Is such slight frame rail damage as I have acquired detrimental to the safety or value of the vehicle? I can post pictures but I'm comfortable calling the damage minor.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
We had past discussions about jacking points and you are correct that on many modern cars it is difficult to find a location to both jack the car AND install jack stands. I, too, have some very minor bends in my rear frame rails due to hasty tire change establishments using floor jacks haphazardly. I haven't worried about it so far. Live and learn. I do watch for and correct scratched or cracked paint because I am in the salt rust belt. There is really nothing we can do about it other than try to prevent more damage.

I think this is a fairly common problem because service garages are much less careful than we are. I have seen much worse damage on other vehicles to both the frame rails and especially the pinch welds, which don't tolerate any sideways movement at all. I use hockey pucks and/or wood blocks on my floor jack to prevent abrasion and spread out the load a bit. I use thick old rags on my jack stands to help prevent damage. Most people would laugh at us and don't give any thought to this.

Again, worrying won't change anything that is already done. I don't think it affects the vehicle structure (unibody construction) and probably would not affect value. Move forward more careful in the future and enjoy your ride! Thanks for the excellent pictures

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We had past discussions about jacking points and you are correct that on many modern cars it is difficult to find a location to both jack the car AND install jack stands. I, too, have some very minor bends in my rear frame rails due to hasty tire change establishments using floor jacks haphazardly. I haven't worried about it so far. Live and learn. I do watch for and correct scratched or cracked paint because I am in the salt rust belt. There is really nothing we can do about it other than try to prevent more damage.

I think this is a fairly common problem because service garages are much less careful than we are. I have seen much worse damage on other vehicles to both the frame rails and especially the pinch welds, which don't tolerate any sideways movement at all. I use hockey pucks and/or wood blocks on my floor jack to prevent abrasion and spread out the load a bit. I use thick old rags on my jack stands to help prevent damage. Most people would laugh at us and don't give any thought to this.

Again, worrying won't change anything that is already done. I don't think it affects the vehicle structure (unibody construction) and probably would not affect value. Move forward more careful in the future and enjoy your ride! Thanks for the excellent pictures
Thanks for your derailed reply. It is appreciated. I do love my little jeep Patriot. As a taller man, the driver room is beautiful. I recognise fiat Chrysler cut corners with the Pat, but unlike many owners of Patriots, it was my first choice and I actually went out of my way to find this specific 4 x 4 with with 2.4l. North edition if you're curious. I love this Jeep.

As for the pictures, they're from the service manual which I was able to purchase online for 35 Canadian monopoly dollars. The picture above was posted to this forum years ago in one of those jacking point threads you mentioned. Finding an appropriate lift point to jack with was CHALLENGING as described.

Thanks for the second opinion about the rails. I'll be sure to continue being more careful going forward. I now use 3 ton jack stands instead of the 6 tons I was using and they fit parallel with my 3 ton floor jack.

It is impossible to find good pics online of the patriot lifted in the rear. Maybe ill post some someday. I know I would have appreciated it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts