Jeep Patriot Forums banner

161 - 166 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have owned 2 Jeep Patriots (a 2009 and a 2016). I know, I didn’t learn my lesson! Anyway, after only a couple of years on the 2009, I was under the car changing the oil and noticed that condensate from the rubber AC drain was constantly dripping on to the front subframe, and was already causing excessive rust on the top side of the subframe, which is obviously exacerbated by road salt in winter. This is because the AC drain tube is located on the floor directly above the subframe, and is just a short stub that directs the water right there. This keeps the subframe constantly wet, because the AC runs a lot, even in winter, to dehumidify the air. It was obvious to me that this was a design flaw that could be easily rectified.
REPAIR: I installed a 3/8” plastic 90 degree barbed fitting into the AC rubber drain tube, then about 12” of clear plastic tubing from the 90, in order to direct the water to drain from under the subframe. I attached the plastic tubing with zip ties. See attached pics.
After I did this on the 2009, the corrosion from constant AC dripping was essentially negated and the subframe stayed dry. I also sprayed the hell out of the subframe with “Rust Check” to control corrosion from road salt in winter (similar to Fluid Film or Krown). I also sprayed the rear subframe. I had no further issues. I received the recall letter from Chrysler last year to have the subframes checked. The tech found no issues and thought the drain tube idea was excellent.
The pictures are from my 2016 Pat. I installed the same drain tubing and the coating you see on the subframe is a newer product called “Corrosion Free 3000” which is a non-drip product that still creeps like Rust Check. After 2 years, still looks new.

Attachments

·
8,011 Posts
I received the recall letter from Chrysler last year to have the subframes checked.

Attachments

Nice photos, and a good idea.
Recall letter? I didn't know there was one. Maybe that's a Canadian recall? I've got a Patriot and had another previously and never got a letter. All I know about the extended warranty (what we got in the States) I've learned on this site. Nothing ever told me to have it checked except my own common sense after I learned there was a problem and a recall. In my case, both Patriots are solid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will open this topic to report my case:

I have a 2011 jeep patriot.

On 05/26 I will deliver it to the dealership for analysis and it is very likely that they will agree to make the exchange.

I will update.

·
8,011 Posts
I will open this topic to report my case:

I have a 2011 jeep patriot.

On 05/26 I will deliver it to the dealership for analysis and it is very likely that they will agree to make the exchange.

I will update.

Exchange? Are they repairing the frame or replacing the vehicle?

Oh, welcome to the site. I hope you'll get all the advice you need . . . probably more!

161 - 166 of 166 Posts