Jeep Patriot Forums banner

121 - 140 of 166 Posts

·
8,011 Posts
:popcorn::popcorn: Waiting for one of the mods to come around and tell you to sell your Patriots, because that'sjust how Chrysler does business......
Moderators have nothing to do with FCA/Chrysler other than owning a Jeep Patriot, nor is this an FCA website. Moderators are site users who volunteer to supervise the website for Autoguide. Autoguide has many auto-related websites, and Verticalscope many more on a variety of topics. You can learn more here: https://www.verticalscope.com/automotive/

If you don't like your Patriot, its not my fault. :crying:

PS, JeepCares monitors this website and are here to help owners as best they can. I presume they are connected with FCA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have the same '' cross member fr +rear issues'' up here in Quebec , Canada, also wondering if I could have them pay other rusted out parts attached to these? lots of other control arms arms suspension parts they will have in their hands while doing the warranty job.... anyone can help . They say it's goodwill on my 08 Compass 4X4 , so they are not too cooperative, even saying they might not pay for the alignment needed in that job ... tks f
or any help or similar cases. 18195721218 Yves R.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
Were you able to get any assistance with your compass? I just took my 2007 compass to the dealership and it failed inspection due to this and I'm in the dark as to what to do next.

Amy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Crossmember Rust

I have a 2011 Jeep Patriot with less than 80k miles at the dealership being fixed under the extended subframe warranty but was just informed that they need two control arms and two rear knuckles to replace both front and back subframes and along with an alignment to set it all straight.

This went from "being covered under warranty" to costing $1,700+ and when I asked if they could fix it without the additional parts, they claim they will not be able to fix it because the new subframes will not connect to the other faulty parts. Ultimatum is basically to receive my vehicle back in a condition that is unsafe to drive and has publicly been acknowledged as a problem or to pay $1,700 for it to be fixed under warranty. Very poor consumer protection on this.

Has anyone else experienced this similar scenario? I'm attempting to ask for reimbursement from FCA and curious if anyone had any luck in doing so.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a 2011 Jeep Patriot with less than 80k miles at the dealership being fixed under the extended subframe warranty but was just informed that they need two control arms and two rear knuckles to replace both front and back subframes and along with an alignment to set it all straight.

This went from "being covered under warranty" to costing $1,700+ and when I asked if they could fix it without the additional parts, they claim they will not be able to fix it because the new subframes will not connect to the other faulty parts. Ultimatum is basically to receive my vehicle back in a condition that is unsafe to drive and has publicly been acknowledged as a problem or to pay $1,700 for it to be fixed under warranty. Very poor consumer protection on this.

Has anyone else experienced this similar scenario? I'm attempting to ask for reimbursement from FCA and curious if anyone had any luck in doing so.
Id contact a lawyer on the matter, Chevy had a warranty recall on a gas tank leak issue and my Trailblazer qualified for it and took it to the dealer, the pulled the same BS but instead wanted me to drive around with a gas leak, lawyers letter got them to give me a rental and ended in the rental for 2 months since they had a back log of gastanks (geez I wonder why), Honestly you shouldn't have to put up with that crap and the board wonders why I am vocal on how FCA is with its consumers base, piss poor consumer protection and consumer follow through.

·
Registered
188 Posts
We'll, a typical lawyer retainer is $4k, so if you want to spend four thousand dollars to argue over seventeen hundred I guess you could do that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A little late but anyway I have a 2010 jeep Patriot with a huge hole in the front cradle (crossover frame) where the control arm attaches. Called my Jeep dealer and they took my vin number and mileage. They said it was covered by an extended warranty so I'm bringing it in for repair. Can't believe how much rust is on that piece. The frame is literally shredding apart,

·
8,011 Posts
A little late but anyway I have a 2010 jeep Patriot with a huge hole in the front cradle (crossover frame) where the control arm attaches. Called my Jeep dealer and they took my vin number and mileage. They said it was covered by an extended warranty so I'm bringing it in for repair. Can't believe how much rust is on that piece. The frame is literally shredding apart,
Not all Patriots had the problem, but for those that did, its devastating. I'm glad FCA is taking care of you. They replaced two transmission for me, even as I was approaching 300,000 miles -- no hassle, gave me a loaner.

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts
Back from the dealer. They covered the crossmember. I did have to pay for a new control arm - $279.00. Runs and feels tight.
Nice to hear they made good on the warranty, thanks for the update.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 patriot..Same issue subframe under warrenty. Towed it to the dealership only to get a call back 3 days later saying yes it is covered but you need to replace the lower control arms.. i said ok how much is that. 159$. Each side plus labor came out to 1200$ i then said ill get my own parts he said we cannot do that cause its not our parts. Told him to drop the jeep and ill be there to get it. He then Tried getting me to take out a title loan to get it fixed. Told him no and Picked it up the next day. He was mad.. Went online found parts. 48$ for 2 lower control arms on amazon. Got a new front sub frame 125$ on ebay bolts not included. Got it in the air now and got most of the 20 bolts out. seems to be easy going until the last bolt. Need 2 jack stands 18mm 16mm 15mm 20mm sockets 10mm,10 mm wrachet wrench. pickle bar for ball joints. breaker bar floor jack.. there is only one video on utube i can find and its for a dodge caliber which has the the same subframe and bolt locations. Will be posting a reinstalltion video. Cant even find haynes book on it..Power tools would be handy.

·
8,011 Posts
2011 patriot..Same issue subframe under warrenty. Towed it to the dealership only to get a call back 3 days later saying yes it is covered but you need to replace the lower control arms.. i said ok how much is that. 159$. Each side plus labor came out to 1200$ i then said ill get my own parts he said we cannot do that cause its not our parts. Told him to drop the jeep and ill be there to get it. He then Tried getting me to take out a title loan to get it fixed. Told him no and Picked it up the next day. He was mad.. Went online found parts. 48$ for 2 lower control arms on amazon. Got a new front sub frame 125$ on ebay bolts not included. Got it in the air now and got most of the 20 bolts out. seems to be easy going until the last bolt. Need 2 jack stands 18mm 16mm 15mm 20mm sockets 10mm,10 mm wrachet wrench. pickle bar for ball joints. breaker bar floor jack.. there is only one video on utube i can find and its for a dodge caliber which has the the same subframe and bolt locations. Will be posting a reinstalltion video. Cant even find haynes book on it..Power tools would be handy.
Way to go! If you can, photos or video would be a great asset to our site. The only other one I've seen is probably the same one you referenced. For a Dodge, but Patriots and Calibers are kissin' cousins.

Maybe part numbers, too?

·
Registered
5 Posts
sub frame removal

only issue im having is there is a rear motor mount with 3 bolts got 2 out but the front bolt is between the motor and the mount cant get to it yet and the driver side rack in pinion bolt under the same mount..
Way to go! If you can, photos or video would be a great asset to our site. The only other one I've seen is probably the same one you referenced. For a Dodge, but Patriots and Calibers are kissin' cousins.

Maybe part numbers, too?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife's just had the upper control arm break loose from the rusted out rear cross member. Luckily my wife and son weren't in a wreck and made it back home. Of course I bought the care after the warranty ran out and the previous owner didn't have it done. I've been a Dodge man all my life but this Jeep has broken me cuase it is one problem after another. I called fca but was told it was my problem. I've searched youtube for a video and can't find it, can you post the one you found?

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was under my recently purchased 08 Pat this past week for oil and CVT fluid changes. I'm so happy not to find any sign of corrosion. I plan on protecting it with Rustoleum Cold Galvanize spray. It's designed to cover galvanized parts that have been cut, welded, etc., and doesn't rust through. It's main ingredient is zinc chromate, which will stand up against extreme conditions. If you use it, parts must be clean and oil free. You can buy it a Home Depot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got the crossmember the one in the rear, first the clerk told me I was pass the time 10 years, mine is a 2007 with 137,000 k I called consummer affair Gouv. organism they told me to see my chrysler dealer and if he doent want to do anything to call them back, it was a security matter and that the jeep is entitle to it has long that it's on the road. brought it in but they only put the crossmember free if they change parts in the suspension you pay, they pay for towing but parts and labour still cost me around 800.00

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry I thought you found video for the rear subframe. I'm going to look into the consumer affairs but what did they charge 800 for?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, I was shown that my subframe is rusty, and that I should contact chrysler about this. The surprising thing is this.

I applaud chrusyler for giving us a 10 year extended warranty on this, but I am not even sure if mine is covered yet. I havnt taken it in. Heres why! The mechanic whom I spoke with, he says hes the head mechanic, has advised me that the replacement is covered and isn't that hard of a job. But that being said your looking at a HUGE bill when you come to pick it up. Because only the subframe and crossmembers are covered, ANYTHONG else they touch...as he put it, cut off, to make it quicker, will be replaced with chrysler oem parts, and this comes out of your pocket, and then to add injury to insult a charge for a wheel alignment after all is said and done, he said probably a couple grand to fix.

My jeep is a 2009 pat, 76000 kms, its on its 3rd front end ( control arms, ball joints, tie rods, sway bar links etc.). I am at my wits end keeping up with this thing.

And to add injury to insult, my front dash lit up like an xmas tree on the way to work this morning, its got the abs, brak light, esc lights and tracyion control lights all on. I was told its most likely a speed sensor. Which can be replaced fairly easy...another catch, bring it into see which one, its a 69.99 charge to have the reader see which one..wow...i'm shocked how they can get aay with this.

Can anyone add some light to this...anyone had the subframe replaced etc???

Love to hear from you guys about it.

Thanks in advance!
Hi,
I know how you feel. I took my truck to the garage as there was a squeek in the back end. Come to find out it was just a rubber joiner that had dried out over the winter. However, while there, one of the mechanics noticed I had a crack in the subframe. So, they called the Dealership here in town and made an appointment for me to go there for them to check it out. They said it is under warranty and will be replaced for no charge. Okay then. So, I took my Jeep to the dealership on Thursday, June 13th 8 a.m. and they said it would be ready by 5 p.m. that day.
At around 2 p.m. that same day, I got a call from the Dealership - You need 421.00 dollars worth of new parts for the front end , not including taxes. WHAT!! I had just put new control arms etc., on the front of my truck. WOW. So, I said okay, if it needs it, go ahead I guess. So then they say, your truck will not be ready until tomorrow at noon. So, Friday, June 14th, 2019 I called at about 11:30 a.m. - I was informed that my truck would not be ready by noon and that I needed more parts for the back of the truck and that when I came to pick it up - when they called me that it was ready - they would have a LIST of new parts that I also need - BEYOND the 421 +tax parts for the front!!!! WOW
So, at about 4:30 p.m. on Friday, June 14th they sent a taxi to pick me up and once I was at the Dealership a man, whom I assume was the Manager of the Dealership had a paper will all the NEW PARTS I needed in order for them to replace the subframe on my truck. THEN HE TELLS ME - that they never did any of the work on the front of my truck! Even though I authorized them to do the front end work they had told me on June 13th was needed. He had all these excuses as to why they had not done anything - as they have only a certain TIME FRAME provided for this WARRANTY job. Hence, they took the control arms off my truck and then PUT THE SAME ONES THEY TOOK OFF BACK ON!!
I get in my Jeep to drive home, and the steering wheel is sideways - while I am going straight!! I was FREAKED. So I go back into the Dealership - which is about to close at that time - and tell him - "What did you people do to my truck. It worked fine when I brought it in here on Thursday, June 13th and now it is NOT SAFE TO DRIVE!!" He responded, "I can call you a taxi." A TAXI!! WOW. So, I asked if they had a loaner car I could use until I got the needed parts and could get my truck fixed back to how it was - NO - they have no loaner cars, I was told. So, I had to drive my truck home with the hazzard lights flashing and what an anxiety trip that was. And I cannot drive my truck at all now - I don't dare, as it feels like the front tires are going to fall off. UNBELIEVABLE.
Since the subframe is under WARRANTY - ANY and ALL parts needed to replace it ought to be covered under that same warranty!
Even though the parts they now say I have to replace were PERFECTLY good and did not need to be replaced BUT FOR the installation of the subframe - I am NOW required to REPLACE ALL those parts due to the Subframe warranty replacement.
WHAT A SCAM.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was informed at my last oil change that my 2009 Patriot subframe was rusting. I called my local dealer and after they looked up my Vin they told me I am not covered since my Patriot was from Canada. Does this mean I will have to travel to Canada to get it covered?

121 - 140 of 166 Posts