Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any idea why my 2015 Jeep Patriot would start to stutter taking off and trying to maintain 45 to 50mph. The rpm’s stay steady so I don’t believe it’s the transmission. The only codes it ever throws is the air intake is higher than expected. I had a 4Runner before and it had the same issue that a tune up seemed to fix. Any ideas?

·
Registered
81 Posts
X2 what Sandstone said. For the first 40K+ miles on our 2015, my wife was the primary driver and I remember her vividly complaining about rough idle and performance around the 30K mark. Factory calls for copper plugs, which offer the least resistance to current, but have a very short life span as compared to precious metal plugs. The good news is they are very cheap, usually available most parts stores, and as mentioned, you can do them in no time in your sleep.

I will say that when I pulled them the first time at just a shade over 30K miles, I was surprised to see how wide the gaps had worn on these. Went from factory .044 to like .055 - .060 gaps! The coppers in my '06 Hemi were only good for 30K, but I never saw that wide a gap the numerous times I changed all 16. That wide of a gap will contribute to rough idling and sluggish performance, especially on a small motor.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I've had plugs cause some hiccups. Naturally I was on the highway and I thought the worst. Turns out that when I replaced the plugs recent to that time period, I didn't fully torque one plug. Oops! I'll blame it on the nagging wife.

·
Registered
2016 Latitude 2x4, 5 speed manual
44 Posts
of any car ive every owned the patriot is the one that screams at you when its due for plugs. Sounds like plugs to me too. you can spend a bit more and drop a set of Iridium plugs in there. The Patriot loves them, had them in my 2.0 and 2.4L engines. Good for 100k miles so the every 30k Service is no longer needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
of any car ive every owned the patriot is the one that screams at you when its due for plugs. Sounds like plugs to me too. you can spend a bit more and drop a set of Iridium plugs in there. The Patriot loves them, had them in my 2.0 and 2.4L engines. Good for 100k miles so the every 30k Service is no longer needed.
It was the plugs. I replaced em Sunday with the NGK plugs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts