Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i took my '08 FD1 into the local dealership. I've been having a sound that appears in the front drivers side wheel well for every wheel rotation, the steering wheel creeks when turning at slow speeds, and it feels/sounds like i have a bad control arm/ball joints as well. I knew the stealership was going to charge an arm and a leg for all of this, but i wanted them to look at it since i figured they'd be familiar with the patriots quirks. Anyways, dropped it off this morning,and they called me back in about 2 hours

They said the creaking was due to the control arms (which i thought and was affraid of) and that the ball joints were very bad as well. I said i didn't want OEM ball joints installed since Jeep made such a crappy design that can't be greased or lubricated. I was told that no one makes a greasable ball joint. I then pointed out that MOOG does, and he said he's never heard of them. They said the price for replacing the upper/lower control arms and ball joints would be $746.00 plus tax. Then i was told that the pulsing in my wheels was due to bad brakes, and i was going to need new brake pads and to grind my rotors flat. The cost for all four wheels would be $423.90. This brings the total to $1169.90 Also said the noise was due to tires being bad....and i do not believe the noise was solely from that at all. I'm not getting tires quite yet.

So, i knew the pricing would be way more expensive at a dealership, but i couldn't imagine this much. I didn't give them the OK to do the work yet. I asked how much the labor would be if i bought the control arms and they installed them...only $288. If they grinded down all four rotors and i installed the brake pads (simple) only $192...which is a grand labor only total of $480....Much more reasonable.

Anyways, I wanted to see what evryone thought of these prices. To me, they seem EXTREMELY OVERPRICED! I'm looking at getting the parts myself, but where should i look for OEM Control Arms with ball joints. Any and all help is welcomed.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Wow, yea those are high. If you can put the pads on, then you can also pop new rotors on. They are $38 each at advance auto and it's only two additional bolts to remove and install.

You're in the Philly area aren't you? If you want a hand I'd be happy to help. I'm out in the willow grove area. Shoot me a PM with a contact number and I can help you do the ball joints too.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Do the brakes yourself, its easy. They want to scare you into thinking its hard. If you can read, you can install new rotors and pads and save yourself the $100/hour labor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.