Jeep Patriot Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
BAD AUTO SHUT-DOWN RELAY - OMRON# G8HE-1C7T-R1-DC12 / 2361A13

Mine at 120K miles was hard starting one day, then a few days later just cranked without starting. There is a relay box buried underneath the battery where it can be found, according to my mechanic. Jeep starts fine after relay was replaced. Hope this helps someone...

·
Registered
159 Posts
2.5 hrs cycling. Nylon bike shorts under cotton jeans. Key in jeans pocket. Won't do that again. Thanks to forum contributors for clearing up what I thought was a starting issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 08 Compass and experienced this issues for a couple of months after replacing the battery 1st(it was bad). Finally solved the problem by a new starter,new relays,ignition switch(actuator),and new neutral safety switch. My vehicle has 91,000 miles on it. This is a common problem with all Jeeps,Dodge/Chrysler. Hope this info helps others.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm trying to figure this out. :confused:
That specific instance seemed to be caused by a build up of static electricity. I now keep the ignition key in my rack bag and haven't had the problem after bicycling since then. I suppose inserting the key in the door lock manually unlocking the door would do the job or touching a ground like the dc receptacle before inserting in ignition switch would work. Easy enough routine to get into and see if any starting issues continue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i've had same sort of problems with a uk spec 2008 patriot 2,0crd, ended up removing under bonnet fuse box/body control module switch cleaned and sealed it and cleaned and sprayed the wiring with wd40 all around it and under it,, seems to have cured it biggest problem i find is finding a good cost effective diagnostic platform to read all the controllers.. the latest snap on machine will do most things but not much on the body control module, i also had it blow the fuse for locking every few weeks turned out being a lock mech and water ingress cleaned and oiled sorted it, have found if leave it unlocked for a few days the battery will go flat as body control dont go to sleep and keeps running 5 amps

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had a couple of starting issues lately. 1.The other day I went to start my pat and I turned the key over to the start position and the auxilery turned on but the starter motor didn't crank. So I turned the key to the off position and tryed again. The same thing happened. Then I took the key right out and tryed starting again. It started no problem. This happened a couple times that same day but has not happened again. 2. Different problem has also come up and has happened a couple times in the last month. I turn the key to start the engine and the starter cranks but the engine wont start. So I turn the key off and turn it again and it starts right away. This problem has happened a couple times in the last month. Any one else having issues like these.
I recently had this issue. The Crankshaft Position sensor needed to be replaced. No problems since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This may sound dumb, but check your battery terminals for corrosion. Or better yet, even if they don't look corroded, pull them off and clean them (AND the battery posts) with a wire brush or some sandpaper. If nothing else, it's one check off the list of things that could be wrong.

WEIRD things (SERIOUSLY!) happen when the computer doesn't see the proper juice, and this sounds surprisingly familiar to an issue i had w/ a 94 Rodeo AND an 04 Malibu. In both cases, the terminals looked clean, but corrosion was evident once i actually removed them from the posts. I hit 'em with the terminal cleaner, and no more issues. :smiley_thumbs_up:

Better to take 5-10 mins to do this before you start ripping apart the dash or making appointments at the stealership. :D
I was having similar issues today thought I was stuck at work but I tired this noticed a crack in one the harness wiring and cleaned the corrosion. Car is staring without a problem right now. Thank you

21 - 30 of 30 Posts