Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey quick post. I got tge rocky road lift installed except the little stabilizer bar extensions. The new ones are 1/4" thick with gussets on two sides. How do you mount them to wedge against anything... Im u der the payriot and this doesnt make sense.

No time for pics. Any quick explanations?

306 541-3106

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
They attach to the inside of the stock mounting hole. The short gussetted end on the bottom, and the longer gussetted side to the rear of the Jeep. Essentially, they provide a new mounting hole location that's 1-1/2" or so higher than the stock location.

They don't wedge against anything.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you sir! It doesn't fully make sense to me why though... On my 09, (not sure if yours is any different) one mount faces forward, the other back... And so on one side, the stabilizer bar mounts at a rather awkward angle. Secondly, the reason for the "wedge" question is that the new mount i expect would rotate to one side on its own under compression, since its basically a two-force member... I'll post pictures later to see if i f'd anything up.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
the stock mount plate will wedge between the two gussets, preventing rotation.

yeah, the long gusset is to the rear on passenger and to the front on driver side. The gusset is to strengthen the bracket, not to prevent rotation (see the sticky thread in this forum).

make sure you get an alignment done, and check all the bolts and lock nuts after. Then re-tighten them a couple days later.

My alignment shop didn't tighten the lock nuts on the rear upper control arms, and thus had to re-do the alignment.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
put a jack under the lower control arm and lift it slightly to position the control arm where it should go when the Jeep is sitting on it's wheels. That'll get rid of the funny mounting angle you talk about.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stabilizer Bar mount after lift

Ok, I fully understand what you're telling me to do. HOWEVER. What I have here, is a couple pictures of the rear and level and on jackstands, wheels hanging on their own. The swaybars are unsprung in this position, i can remove the mounts by hand once the nuts are removed. I have less than an inch before they would collide with the rear axles if i were to lift the stabilizers. I am literally driving right now without the stabilizer mounts installed, just the rest of the rocky lift installed. Is there ANY difference back there between the 07's / -08's and the 09's?

i can't physically raise the stabilizer bar mounts or they would collide with the rear axles.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
And I thought we were talking about the front end...

I vaguely remember there was a trick to get both the rear sway bar links put back in. Have you tried installing them with the wheels on the ground?

Here's pics of mine with the wheels on the ground.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
i can't physically raise the stabilizer bar mounts or they would collide with the rear axles.

don't raise the sway bar.

raise both the lower control arms to line up with where the sway bar links are naturally.

·
Sept 2009 POTM
2,915 Posts
I just looked under mine (without the RRO lift).
I think the entire difference Darsey is that your wheels are at full downward extension.
When they go back up, the lower control arm and the sway bar connection should raise at the same time.

I think Heckler has it right. See what geometry you get naturally with the wheels supporting the vehicle, then connect the sway bar.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hhehe, WELL!

so they go on the front eh?

I installed the front without these little tabs without even the slightest snag and hadn't thought twice. I hope it's not under too much stress where it's sitting now. I'm going to have to take the front wheels off and and make sure they're in before i drive anywhere. Everything on the whole car installed so easy I couldn't see where I needed those extension mounts. And I was thinking they went on the back! (which they'd be loaded in compression, causing the buckling i was thinking of) Since they go in the front, they're in tension, which is just fine for a 2-force member. HA. A little sheepish, but atleast this dilemna is over.

THANK YOU Heckler and UA Who

1 - 14 of 14 Posts