Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can not for the life of me find this squeaking noise. It only happens after my wife takes off and then idles. I thought it was a pulley but i was wrong. Belt is also new too. Maybe something rubbing?? Thanks for any help

·
Registered
14 Posts
It could be a bad idler pulley. With the belt off, spin them by hand and see if they make any noise.

Also, is the belt dry before you start it?. If antifreeze or water drip on the belt it will squeak.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes belt is dry. I already changed the lower idley pulley. All other ones checked out.

·
8,181 Posts
Obviously I haven't heard your noise, but I wonder, are you sure its a mechanical squeak? One of my Wranglers had a vacuum leak that emitted a high-pitched whistle that sounded for the world like a squeak. It had me confused for quite awhile. The clues for me were that the pitch didn't change with the engine speed, and the volume was linked to the workload.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Gutierrez, have you replaced the belt tensioner yet? Does it squeak with the AC & Defrost turned off? The alternator decoupler pulley can also go bad. To check the Decoupler pulley you will need to remove the belt, grab the alternator pulley and rapidly twist it back and forth. You should be able fell the spring inside bouncing, if it fells solid (like a normal pulley) then it's bad. I replace mine at 75,000 miles it was bad.

·
Super Moderator
5,194 Posts
Another check for the OAD pulley is to look for brown-ish dust-like deposits (rust and dry grease) on the face of the alternator right by the pulley:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gutierrez, have you replaced the belt tensioner yet? Does it squeak with the AC & Defrost turned off? The alternator decoupler pulley can also go bad. To check the Decoupler pulley you will need to remove the belt, grab the alternator pulley and rapidly twist it back and forth. You should be able fell the spring inside bouncing, if it fells solid (like a normal pulley) then it's bad. I replace mine at 75,000 miles it was bad.
Yea i checked all pulleys with the belt off. It still makes the sound whether the a/c is off or on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts