Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so still trying to figure out the issue. so at normal operating tempature if I'm in drive sitting at a red light i feel slight vibration under load which I feel most people have experienced. However what I notice the most is if I turn the steering wheel just slightly to the left or right the vibration gets extremely noticable at times like it feels like it could die also when you make a turn it feels a little boggish like a decrease in power while accelerating. So logic tells me it is power steering related like maybe a power steering pressure switch but I cant find that part online. Does the patriot even have that? All the symptoms point in that direction. I'm just trying not to let this jeep defeat me but I'm close to throwing in the towel. Anyone else dealt with and resolved this? last thing Im going to do Is a live feed diagnosis to see if i can pick up anything lurking.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,058 Posts
It's quite "normal" for the Patriot to vibrate in gear and at idle. I've read that it's programmed with the torque converter set to engage at too low of RPM in order to help with MPG. That, coupled with poorly designed engine mounts makes a very noticable vibration. If I'm at a light more than a couple seconds I shift into neutral. Loading the power steering pump while at idle can make many cars bog down a little, which will cause more vibration. If mine bothered me as much as yours bothers you, I would replace the engine mounts with a good quality aftermarket set.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for your response i'm starting to realize the slight vibration may be somewhat normal however just slightly turning the wheel left to right the whole vehicle shakes likes its going to die is not what I would deem normal??? I actually drove this vehicle when my aunt owned it and it never had any of these symptoms otherwise I would have pointed it out to her like wait this doesn't feel normal.
when you look at the symptoms of bad motor mounts it states that as speed increases the vibration should become more noticable however in my case on the freeway or higher speeds the vehicle drives like a dream.
when I looked up symptoms of a bad power steering power relay it was like the gods shining down on me like I think I may have figured it out only to find the patriot doesn't have one?

·
Super Moderator
8,520 Posts
I agree with @mr_et2. The engine is putting out its least amount of power at idle, it's trying to turn a transmission while the car is braked, and the power steering is yet another load.

If it's really on the verge of stalling, I'd check the spark plugs. The Patriot plugs are only good for 30,000 miles which is comparatively short these days. If they are overdue your engine isn't even putting out what modest power it could muster at low idle. Plugs are an easy DIY. There's a couple threads on here about changing them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with @mr_et2. The engine is putting out its least amount of power at idle, it's trying to turn a transmission while the car is braked, and the power steering is yet another load.

If it's really on the verge of stalling, I'd check the spark plugs. The Patriot plugs are only good for 30,000 miles which is comparatively short these days. If they are overdue your engine isn't even putting out what modest power it could muster at low idle. Plugs are an easy DIY. There's a couple threads on here about changing them.
just changed the spark plugs about 1k ago .had a misfire due to spark plugs. I ran through fuel management, 5 fuel treatments, new throttle body, pcv, runner valve, check and swapped coil packs, and air filter. honestly think I am just going to offload the vehicle. Not my cup of tea if its running like this it tells me jeep slapped it together and sent it out the door considering people have similar issues going back to when they only had 20k on their vehicle. I've owned many vehicles over the past 25 years and never had a vehicle act like this under load whether 4 banger v6 or v8. But I do appreciate the answers if I do opt to do the live scan and figure anything out I will let you know..

·
Super Moderator
8,520 Posts
There is a time to dump a vehicle and a time to hang on. It's anybody's guess which time it is for you.

In the mid-1970s my uncle got a '68 Impala from a friend at work because it was making a one-cylinder knock. The guy he bought it from thought it was a wrist-pin and sold the car to my uncle for peanuts. Turns out it was a distributor problem that was pre-igniting in one cylinder. Cheap fix. He got a couple more years out of that car.

On the other hand I bought a brand new '93 Cherokee. I wanted to love it, but it was a bucket of bolts. It had a string of little problems, a consistently bad clutch, and finally an accident with a really lousy repair job (from the shop the dealership recommended!). It was only 6 months old when I traded it for an Olds. The next guy may have gotten lucky or maybe he's still cursing me. Either way, I was glad I was done with it and my replacement Olds was among my favorite cars of all time. Practically bulletproof.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
thank you for your response i'm starting to realize the slight vibration may be somewhat normal however just slightly turning the wheel left to right the whole vehicle shakes likes its going to die is not what I would deem normal??? I actually drove this vehicle when my aunt owned it and it never had any of these symptoms otherwise I would have pointed it out to her like wait this doesn't feel normal.
when you look at the symptoms of bad motor mounts it states that as speed increases the vibration should become more noticable however in my case on the freeway or higher speeds the vehicle drives like a dream.
when I looked up symptoms of a bad power steering power relay it was like the gods shining down on me like I think I may have figured it out only to find the patriot doesn't have one?
As it has been a few days, we do hope this concern has been resolved, kurt7780. However, if it's still present, we would be happy to discuss further with you. Send our team a private message when you have a moment.

Kate
Jeep Cares

1 - 7 of 7 Posts