Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a manual 2010 Patriot with 41,000 miles on it. Today while my wife was driving she was coasting around a corner and went to put it into gear and it went into gear but went nowhere. Like the clutch is not engaging. Haven't had any clutch problems before, it will shift to all gears, but go nowhere. Any help is appreciated. Its just sitting at the walmart parking lot right now.

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
If you can move the lever fully into all 6 positions and let out the clutch, there is something wrong that can only be correct by taking the transmission apart.

The clutch is unlikely to fail in the open position. All clutch problems I have ever had caused the clutch to stay engaged rather than disengaged.

This is very difficult to diagnose without seeing the vehicle.

Do you hear any grinding or anything when you shift/try to shift?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
+1 start it up and and see if it will go into gear without the clutch being depressed.

EDIT: Does it stall in gear? cause it should. I do not know what type of clutch is in the Patriot, though I should :doh: if there is a fluid reservoir make sure it filled to the appropriate level, if there is one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can move the gear shifter into all six positions without any problems. When I disengage the clutch it just revs when you give it gas and doesnt go anywhere. Never heard any strange noises, goes into all gears freely. Just sits there. No engine lights are on. Does not stall at all. Added fluid to the reservoir. Tried pumping the clutch with the cap off.

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
+1 start it up and and see if it will go into gear without the clutch being depressed.

EDIT: Does it stall in gear? cause it should. I do not know what type of clutch is in the Patriot, though I should :doh: if there is a fluid reservoir make sure it filled to the appropriate level, if there is one.
Patriot has a hydraulic clutch. From the symptoms listed, either something is either holding the clutch disengaged, or some gear in the transmission is not where it should be. A missing snap ring could alow a gear to float to the wrong place on a shaft and not engage the mating gear to deliver power.

Put the car in gear and try pushing it around. Have someone inside listen, and shift gears and things. Don't run the engine, just try different combinations to try to get some different results.

This is really odd.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going to check the shift linkage here in a few minutes. I have seen that as a potential problem on other sites as well. Its parked at the local warmart for now. I am hoping thats what it is. My wife was turning into walmart and all of a sudden it wouldnt go into any gears. She had somebody push her into a parking spot and she went in and asked the service guys. They came out and told her it needed brake fluid. He was able to get it into gear and she pulled it around back to add brake fluid. They added brake fluid but when she pulled off to go park again it did it again and she had to have somebody push her again. So I am hoping its just a loose linkage or something. Very odd indeed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shift linkage looked just fine. Took off the air filter container and watched the linkage shift the transmission into and out of every gear. Still nothing. Towed to the dealership and will update with the diagnosis.

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
From what I understand, the mechanic guys are right. Unlike older cars, the patriot hydraulic clutch shares a reservoir with the brake system. If it was low, I would suspect hydraulic clutch problems rather than expensive transmission problems. Like I said earlier though, I've never heard of a clutch failing in the disengaged position.

Yes! Keep us posted.

·
8,350 Posts
From what I understand, the mechanic guys are right. Unlike older cars, the patriot hydraulic clutch shares a reservoir with the brake system.
Sounds like the arrangement on my '93 Cherokee. Clutch and brakes shared the reservoir and it wasn't a happy marriage, though my problem was quite different from 9nick0.

My clutch had an internal leak that dripped fluid onto the clutch plate so when I first started up after a long stop (overnight) the clutch would slip a little. The first few times I felt it the sensation was like starting up on a spot of ice. Then I noticed it happening when there wasn't any ice around. As the reservoir went lower the clutch would fail to disengage (as you said, clutches usually fail engaged, not disengaged). Long story short it made several trips to dealership and they always had a different diagnosis (to avoid the lemon law) but the problem was never fixed. It was only 6 months old when it got rearended. I was out of town and had it towed to the local dealership who farmed it out to a shyster body shop (a whole nother story). Finally I wisely traded it for an Oldsmobile.

·
Registered
180 Posts
4X4?

Does the FDI system have a neutral? I am not sure if it really even has a "transfer case" as I know it.

Just a thought....

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
Sounds like the arrangement on my '93 Cherokee. Clutch and brakes shared the reservoir and it wasn't a happy marriage, though my problem was quite different from 9nick0.

My clutch had an internal leak that dripped fluid onto the clutch plate so when I first started up after a long stop (overnight) the clutch would slip a little. The first few times I felt it the sensation was like starting up on a spot of ice. Then I noticed it happening when there wasn't any ice around. As the reservoir went lower the clutch would fail to disengage (as you said, clutches usually fail engaged, not disengaged). Long story short it made several trips to dealership and they always had a different diagnosis (to avoid the lemon law) but the problem was never fixed. It was only 6 months old when it got rearended. I was out of town and had it towed to the local dealership who farmed it out to a shyster body shop (a whole nother story). Finally I wisely traded it for an Oldsmobile.
I forget sometimes about reference. To me "older" is 1970's as opposed to "newer" 1990's to date. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just heard back from the dealer. It is an internal transmission problem. $500 to authorize tear down and $1200 if its the clutch. Here's hoping its a powertrain problem and is covered by warranty.

·
8,350 Posts
I forget sometimes about reference. To me "older" is 1970's as opposed to "newer" 1990's to date. :)
Yeah, amazing how that '93 would be almost 20 years old today. I've owned some new cars that would be considered antique by today's standards.

That '91 Cutlass Supreme that I (foolsishly) traded in for that Cherokee, would be over 30. Gosh, I'm feeling old.

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
And here's to tax season if its the clutch.
As we've discussed, it is almost impossible for the clutch to fail instantly in the open position. The spring mechanism would have to give out and I can't see that happening without making a heck of a noise.

·
8,350 Posts
Oops, getting off subject here. Indeed 9nick0 I hope your warranty covers it. I should think the clutch (sans normal wear & tear) should be covered, at least the mechanicals. Like I don't expect the wiper blades to be covered, but the wiper motor should be. They may not cover the clutch surface itself, but the rest of it should be.

They have a way of blaming clutch problems on the driver, unfortunately. When I was suffering with the above mentioned Cherokee, they asked me if I'd ever driven a standard before. :mad: Indeed, my first 2 cars were standards. Besides civilized vehicles, I also learned to drive on a Ford Falcon w/ 3-on-the-tree. Anyone who's driven an early Falcon clutch probably knows what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They have indeed said the clutch was burnt out. I never took it off roading, we have no snow here in south carolina, only had 41,000 miles. I don't get it. $1200 repair bill. Baffled.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts