Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's start off with the good. I Live in Buffalo, NY. In case you haven't heard, we got over 3 feet of wet, heavy, sloppy snow this weekend. I tried snowblowing the driveway on Saturday, but my snowblower kept clogging and I was feeling pretty sick, so decided that it wasn't worth it. Overnight I started feeling worse and decided that I should make a visit to the ER. Being a weekend, there is absolutely no chance the the street I live on will be plowed. I asked my friend/neighbor if he'd take me in his 4WD F250, but it turns out that he blew a front hub trying to drive to the store last night. I decided to drive myself in my Patriot. I got stuck for a moment at the end of the driveway, but was able to reverse without issue, then just give it a little more gas to get in the street. After that, I had absolutely zero problems driving in the really really deep, wet snow. I was very worried that I would get stuck in the middle of the street, but the combination of my FD2 Patriot and Falken Wildpeak AT/3W tires made it a very uneventful trip. I did see over a dozen other vehicles stuck on the mile or so drive before I finally got on a plowed street. After an hour of tests and about 3 hours on an IV antibiotic, I'm feeling much better. Turns out I have a pretty bad sinus infection.

Now, the not so good. After I found a paved road I noticed that whenever I took my foot off the gas I was hearing a grinding noise coming from the front right. As soon as I touched the gas the noise would stop. Obviously, I haven't done any sort of inspection on this, but my front end has been shaking under acceleration since August of 2021 and no one has been able to find the cause. I've been to 4 shops and had a couple backyard mechanics look at since it started. Does anyone know what could cause a grinding sound only when coasting? I replaced the right front CV axle back in '19, both front wheel bearings this past summer (both old ones looked fine), and all the brakes in September. I don't think it's the brakes since hitting the brakes doesn't make the sound come or go, just getting on and off the gas. Any guesses?

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
5,095 Posts
Axle and bearings would be my top two guesses, though you say you've replaced them. Maybe the replacements are now worn for whatever reason? Glad you're feeling better though. My sinuses go haywire about once a year, not very fun.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport
5,488 Posts
Maybe just some ice packed up around the wheel/suspension/brake shield or cv axle? So that hitting the gas raises the issue off the wheel or rotating bits and decel drops it back down?

·
Administrator
8,545 Posts
....but my front end has been shaking under acceleration since August of 2021 and no one has been able to find the cause.
Have the motor mounts been checked for excessive movement?

My apologies if I've already suggested this, but did anyone try running it on a lift (or jack stands for the brave) to try to locate the sound / source of the vibration?

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
5,095 Posts
I had a thought....maybe it's a wheel hub? Or is that the bearings? My automotive knowledge unfortunately doesn't extend that far, but I remember hearing a sort of grinding noise from the back of my Impala once. Thought it was road noise over some bumps or something, but some more mechanically inclined friends said it was a wheel hub. Got it checked out, and sure enough one of the rear hubs was going bad.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, feeling a lot better today. Decided to go to the store since the cupboards were running a little bare. It's been in the 40's/50's here all week, so most of the snow from last weekend is gone, and my sump pump has been getting one heck of a workout with all of the snow melting.

Anyway, my Patriot still has the worrisome grinding noise going on. Definitely coming from the front right. The sound reminds me of the noise that was coming from the right rear brakes when the shop "forgot" to put my inboard pad back on last year. It's absolutely a metal-on-metal, rotational grinding sound. When I got home I pulled off the front wheel and inspected the brakes. They're 100% fine, so it's gotta be either the bearing, which is only about 2 months old and has maybe 1500 miles on it, or the axle, which was replaced in '19.

I think what I'll do is replace them both. The axle has a lifetime warranty, and the bearing isn't really a big deal to do. I just wish it wouldn't have waited until it got cold out. Maybe I'll get to it next weekend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts