Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been dealing with an annoying problem for about a week that seemingly started after I took my Compass to a self-serve car wash. Now, whenever I start it up, the ESP light, stability control light and the ABS light come on straight away. If I'm doing any parking lot manoeuvres, I can tell the drivetrain is winding up which tells me the 4wd is stuck on, on gravel patches I can hear the tires scuffing. After I start driving in this state, the 4wd warning light will flash for a bit then it'll light up solid. At any point up until the 4wd warning light comes on solid, the ABS system at times will just go crazy and start applying the brakes for no reason at all. Also, at this point as I'm driving, the torque converter no longer locks up. Cruise control still turns on but self cancels as soon as I set a speed. Now the odd thing is, randomly all the warning lights will go out and everything will function just as it should. This lasts just a few minutes typically, then all the warning lights come back on. I've been pulling fuse 34 and fuse 35 the past few days and doing so lets the torque converter lock up, but the speedo is dead and the transmission I assume is in some sort of limp mode because it seems to want to give me a high ratio almost as soon as I start moving no matter how far I have the gas pedal pressed.

I've done a bunch of searching and it seems 2 common problems could be causing my troubles. Either a wire splice or something in the wires up by the driver's left foot could be damaged, or I have an ABS sensor on the fritz. I removed some plastic trim around the drivers footwell and pulled back the carpet and I did see a big wiring bundle but as far as I could tell nothing looked wrong. It's worth it to note that it appears that someone in the past may have been into this bundle before, all the wires were wrapped up in electrical tape. Would an ABS sensor problem cause all my problems? If I can't determine the cause of the problems I'll have to take it into a shop, which I'd like to avoid, as shop repairs = $$$

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose I'd have to take it to a dealer or at least a decent shop to have it put on a scanner to tell me which sensor is bad. Are they difficult to replace on your own?

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,098 Posts
What caught my attention is the 4wheel drive binding up......that is interesting.

I"m guessing wheel speed sensor.

One thing to try if the ABS system is freak out, at the front of your fuse box, (use your owners manual as a reference) remove the Green ABS fuse, it is # 35 I believe, see if the abs problem goes away. As for the 4x4 binding problem. There is a pink fuse next to fuse 35 (can't remember the number) it's also related to the abs system, but it will disable the 4x4 as well (speedo also stops working) this would temporarily clear up the binding problem.

Keep in mind pulling the pink fuse long enough will cause the check engine light to go on (it does go back out eventually unless you reset it sooner).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pulled both those fuses you mentioned. This disables 4wd, abs/esp and also my speedometer for some reason. I notice that when I drive around in this 'mode' the engine rpms seem to be limited to roughly 3800 rpm unless I push the pedal past the detent then I get the full 6000 rpm. Will I cause the transmission any harm driving it around like that?

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,098 Posts
No you shouldn't hurt your transmission. The above method I gave was more of a trouble shooting idea.

One thing I noticed while having my 4x4 disabled is that at any given speed my rpms seemed higher than if the fuse was in. I think this might have something to do with a speed sensor being disabled.

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,098 Posts

·
Major Modificator
498 Posts
You should at least just take it to Autozone, or whatever parts store you have and have em hook up a scangauge to it. Might find your problem right then and there. I believe you can also cycle the key on/off/on 5 times to throw a code either on your EVIC or ODO. Im pretty sure thats worked with all chrysler vehicles since 1989 ( except the CEL flashed back then.)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Update time! So, being the king of procrastination that I am, I waited until yesterday to take the Jeep and have it looked at. I just haven't been driving very much lately, although with the snow storms we've gotten the last week, the AWD certainly would have been handy. anyway, the shop just called me back a few minutes ago. I need a $235 wheel bearing and the $55 speed sensor. now hopefully that'll take care of my abs problem also give me back my all wheel drive. another snow storm coming tomorrow, with 30 to 40 centimeters (not sure what that is in inches) so if there's not too much snow I should be able to pick it up tomorrow

·
Registered
726 Posts
Update time! So, being the king of procrastination that I am, I waited until yesterday to take the Jeep and have it looked at. I just haven't been driving very much lately, although with the snow storms we've gotten the last week, the AWD certainly would have been handy. anyway, the shop just called me back a few minutes ago. I need a $235 wheel bearing and the $55 speed sensor. now hopefully that'll take care of my abs problem also give me back my all wheel drive. another snow storm coming tomorrow, with 30 to 40 centimeters (not sure what that is in inches) so if there's not too much snow I should be able to pick it up tomorrow
Front or rear? Are these dealership prices? If not way too high.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Picked up the Compass earlier today, and the repair worked for about an hour then I felt the brakes applying themselves and the stability control light was flashing. A minute later and my ESP light, stability control light, ABS and 4WD light are all on again. I shut the car off in neutral then started it back up and the lights were all out but I still felt one of the brakes activating or something. It got so bad that I had to pull over and pull the green 40 amp fuse to get it to stop. Now, in this 'mode' my AWD still seems to work unless I do a lot of spinning or skidding, at which point I shut the car down, start it back up and the AWD works again. To say I am unhappy after spending almost $550 bucks on this repair is an understatement. I am going to call the garage that did the repair tomorrow and see if they'll look at it again on their own dime, seeing as how they were supposed to have fixed the problem the first time

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the Jeep back again today. Still acting up, and now the battery light is coming on. The guy there said either my 2.5 month old battery is bad or something about ABS module power failure. At this point I don;t know what to do with it

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Go back into that wire bundle by your foot. All it takes is a pinch in the wire, some damaged insulation or an old splice that got moisture in it. Get the plastic out of your way have a good hard look at those wires. There are threads on here that detail which wires exactly to look at. Not saying that the ABS module didn't die, but I would lean more towards and common mode of failure. The common modes of failure for the Patriot/Compass line with this issue are the wheel speed sensor and that wire harness having damage or moisture ingress. Good luck. Car problems suck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Regarding that wire bundle, a while before I took the Compass into the repair shop I did pull that plastic side panel off to look at that wire bundle and it looked like it may have had something done to it at some other time before I owned it. Part of the bundle was wrapped up in electrical tape. I don't think they came from the factory that way did they? As it is right now, the weather has been either too cold, or too snowy to do any looking for damaged wires. With my winter boots tracking in snow every time I get in the driver's seat it's gonna be soggy there for a while. Anyone ever try cat litter in an old sock to get rid of moisture? I read that on some blog somewhere

·
Angry Riot
1,035 Posts
Regarding that wire bundle, a while before I took the Compass into the repair shop I did pull that plastic side panel off to look at that wire bundle and it looked like it may have had something done to it at some other time before I owned it. Part of the bundle was wrapped up in electrical tape. I don't think they came from the factory that way did they? As it is right now, the weather has been either too cold, or too snowy to do any looking for damaged wires. With my winter boots tracking in snow every time I get in the driver's seat it's gonna be soggy there for a while. Anyone ever try cat litter in an old sock to get rid of moisture? I read that on some blog somewhere

I use silica gel moisture absorbent desiccant bags under my jeeps seats for getting rid of moisture in the jeep, they can be had pretty cheap online or if you have friends who work for electronic company's and can take them home from parts they order. But they are awesome because they last 3-4 months then you can bake in oven to rdy out and reuse, and they can be had like 10 bags for 10$ on amazon, since I've put them in the jeep it no longer fogs up on the inside as cars do when it's cold and humid outside, or your talking in the car, windows don't fog up, when they start getting some fog is when you know it's time to bake them in the oven, look it up, but the cat litter will preform similar but these are better and reusable

·
Angry Riot
1,035 Posts
I use silica gel moisture absorbent desiccant bags under my jeeps seats for getting rid of moisture in the jeep, they can be had pretty cheap online or if you have friends who work for electronic company's and can take them home from parts they order. But they are awesome because they last 3-4 months then you can bake in oven to rdy out and reuse, and they can be had like 10 bags for 10$ on amazon, since I've put them in the jeep it no longer fogs up on the inside as cars do when it's cold and humid outside, or your talking in the car, windows don't fog up, when they start getting some fog is when you know it's time to bake them in the oven, look it up, but the cat litter will preform similar but these are better and reusable
Similar bag to ones I use (this ones from work and owned by the military so not taking it home)
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1424458714.228832.jpg

·
Registered
53 Posts
Had the same issue with my 07 Pat about two months ago, I was driving and all of those lights came on and I felt the right rear brake applying, took it in (only bc I purchased a warranty/which I was glad I did), they called said it was the toner on the right rear axle, could be one of your toners on the axles. Which means just replacing the whole axle, but they also replaced both rear wheel bearings(not sure why) unless they were seized in the trailing arm assembly that they had to warranty because the bushings were shot. But I believe it was the toner

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same issue with my 07 Pat about two months ago, I was driving and all of those lights came on and I felt the right rear brake applying, took it in (only bc I purchased a warranty/which I was glad I did), they called said it was the toner on the right rear axle, could be one of your toners on the axles. Which means just replacing the whole axle, but they also replaced both rear wheel bearings(not sure why) unless they were seized in the trailing arm assembly that they had to warranty because the bushings were shot. But I believe it was the toner
Are you referring to the geared ring on the axle that the ABS sensor counts the teeth on? I have an 07 diesel, manual patriot that is doing every

1 - 20 of 21 Posts