Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time it rains and I turn on the heat or the defrost, there is an odor and I need to open the window. I noticed this same problem in a Toyota that I owned also. This odor is in the system, not in the carpet. Does anyone know what causes this or how I can correct it?

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
could be mildew in the system,
check that drains are clear and flowing,
also to kill what may be in the system, with fan on , taking in air from outside vents (do not switch to recirculate)
, spray some mildew killer like lysol into the outside vents,

·
Registered
726 Posts
The cause of that funky smell is the evaporator core located in the dash. Using defrost mode or A/C mode switches the A/C system on. The evaporator condenses the water in the air and gets wet. If it stays wet, mold, fungi and mildew starts to grow, giving off that bad smell.

You can purchase sanitizing sprays designed for auto A/C systems at an auto store. Lysol works well too. Best treatment for stubborn cases is at the dealership, they use a chemical compound that cleans and coats the evaporator to prevent re-occurrence.

In summer months when I'm using the A/C I run my fan on high with the A/C off for a minute to dry out the evaporator core before shutting the engine off. It helps a lot.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Every time it rains and I turn on the heat or the defrost, there is an odor and I need to open the window. I noticed this same problem in a Toyota that I owned also. This odor is in the system, not in the carpet. Does anyone know what causes this or how I can correct it?

Hey NickiW,

What is the model year of your Patriot? I’d like to look into this further.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts