Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Simple Automatic Car Washes

5K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  revdej 
#1 ·
I have never taken my Patriot or truck through an automatic car wash. I cannot do it with my truck due to the tonneau cover.

I have not taken my Patriot through one due to concerns about the rear view mirrors. However, it is very tempting in the frigid winter months.

Has anyone had good luck with the gas station type car washes?

#4 ·
Avoid the type with the big spinning brushes, they are notorious for scratching the heck out of paint and breaking off antennae, mirrors, trim, and license plates. I use "touchless" carwashes every week or two. I especially like the ones with undercarriage blasters.

The main trouble is finding one that is actually well maintained. Most "Shell" stations around here have one, but they don't keep the filters clean; so, the few times I tried them my car would look dirtier coming out than it did going in.

In the winter months, I do take it to a real carwash/detailer once or twice during season too.

Reactions: breadtruck
#6 · (Edited)
Trouble is the touchless carwashes don't remove roud film so even though the crud gets sprayed off, the car still has a gray film on it.

And yes, the nylon brushes will do a job on your paint. All cloth might be better for the paint but those are the ones that grab the license plates, antennae, &c.

#7 ·
Yeah, I'm not really that much of a neat freak, I only wash my cars that often to keep that grey film from building up. Both my driver Jeeps are white, and the nicest cars I've owned to date, so I'm a little more anal-retentive than normal.

Once that scuzz builds up, no automated washer is going to get it. You got to get down on in with elbow grease and a wash mitt. Or shell out $100 at a manned carwash... which really is nice when it fits in the budget. Beats the hell out of a haircut for feeling spiffed up! haha!

#8 · (Edited)
Good information...I cannot remember the last time I sat in a car wash...I always ran out with the mitt in the rain if I could for my truck. Interesting to know about the film removal...that is what I was starting to notice on my black Patriot after some early salting...did a quick hand wash but without the brush.

#9 ·
I think I know what you mean. I used to consider washing my own cars a point of pride. I thought carwashes were for those too lazy or inept to do it themselves. Anymore it's really about time for me. Most touchless autowashes are $10 for the highest level (with the undercarriage blaster and presoak). I compare how long it takes me to earn $10 vs how long it takes me to do a decent "quick wash" of my car myself; then it totally seems worth it.

I still like washing my own cars when I have nothing better to do, but with a kid I always have something better to do, haha!

#10 ·
I don't know...I've used the car washes with the big brushes--never noticed a problem with the paint, etc. Even leaving both the stock antenna and the 39" ham radio antenna installed. I wait until I don't recognize my car because it's soooo dirt--then the brushes are necessary. Gone are the days with the soapy bucket, mitts, garden hoses, and chamois--that's for young and perfectionist guys. And yes, I've only polished my '16 twice since I bought it new....

#14 ·
Mr. Bread - I've been going to the Mister car washes lately in the area (used to be Sudz) and IMHO they do the best job over all others in the area.

#16 ·
I've been through one touchless. Of course, it was only AFTER that I read about all the horrors of the sunroofs on Patriots. But when I did go through, I looked up at the sunroof and there was water being blasted into the channel. Now, since my Pat was relatively new, the drains were all open and working well, so no water inside, but it made me nervous. Not sure if I'll go through another or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.