Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I recently clipped the side of my garage with my passenger mirror and broke some of the plastic housing off. I have a 08 Limited with the electronic adjusting mirrors and was hoping to replace the just the plastic; however, the dealership told me that its all one unit and with will cost $163.00 for the unit alone and another 70.00 for the labor.

So, has anyone replaced one of these before? Is it possible to do at home with the new part?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing in the mirror or the electronics were damaged, just the plastic tip of the mirror housing is broken. A few pieces snapped off, but all in all, the mirror still works fine, its just an eye sore. I was hoping to replace the plastic housing, but apparently the mirror, electronics, and the housing is all one unit. :(

·
Registered
286 Posts
Someone opened a door on my daughter's Pat and broke the plastic side mirror housing last week. Luckily, she kept the broken pieces, so I'm going to try to superglue it back together this week.
Temps will be in the 40's here later this week, so I'll wait until then and keep you posted on the outcome.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I would try ebay... I did a search and found mostly drivers side mirrors and only 1 passenger mirror (weird) and it wasn't power. But I would keep checking to see if one comes up or check at your local junk yard.

The install should be fairly easy... probably just a few screws and a wiring harness.

There is a diagram on mopar.com that might help but it was way too large to post here.

Go to: http://jeepparts.mopar.com/jeep/patriot-accessories.html > Select make and model > Jeep Patriot OEM Parts > Door, Door Mirrors and Related Parts > Exterior Mirror

Here is a pic from an ebay listing showing the screws and wiring harness:

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have replaced mirrors on my ram before. very simple task, just takes time and is easier with 2 people (one to hold mirror on outside while the other puts nuts on screws).

All you have to do is remove the door panel (screws and retainers/clips). I'd suggest replacing the plastic retainers with new ones they are cheap and you'll probably bend/damage some. Take one to your local auto parts store and get a close match. The ones I used for my ram were from the help section at advance auto and were for GM vehicles but were an almost exact match for my ram. Then the mirror is held on with some nuts/bolts and of course you'll have the electrical connector.

I picked up a set of auto trim tools from harbor freight. I've had it for a long time. Cheap tool set and very useful. I bought it to replace the factory 6 disc in my avenger with a mygig. It makes removing the door trim very easy and also makes removing the plastic retainers simple.

much easier to use than screwdrivers / pry bars and will damange/scratch the trim less.

(click image for link to harbor freight - my local stores stocks these)

- Dan M

·
Registered
256 Posts
Someone opened a door on my daughter's Pat and broke the plastic side mirror housing last week. Luckily, she kept the broken pieces, so I'm going to try to superglue it back together this week.
Temps will be in the 40's here later this week, so I'll wait until then and keep you posted on the outcome.
wtf is wrong with people that they are so ignorant and oblivious to other people's property. Someone slammed mine when it was 2 months old and dented the door. I was able to get the dent fixed relatively cheap, but it still pissed me off. Sorry about the mirror.

·
Registered
600 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am sorry they won't cover that. Not if you broke it. If it stopped working on its own then they would replace it under the warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have seen chrome covers that go over the housing. You could glue the mirror then place chrome cover over the top,
Just a thought

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update

Hello all, thanks for all the helpful tricks and suggestions. I was able to find a used mirror online for less than half of the replacement cost of ordering it through the dealership. Since I was due to have an oil change, I forked over the labor cost to have it installed. I would have elected to do this myself if I had the proper tools to remove the door lining. I've busted a few clips and linings in the past installing after market speakers in my past cars, so the OCD part of me felt justified having this completed.

Regards!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts