Jeep Patriot Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
StuR, glad you got it sorted. I went the other way with tires. I had the factory Goodyear SRA's, and they worked very well in the snow. But I was unemployed when they finally wore out, so I had to just get something as cheap as possible. So I picked up a set of four used michelin gas saver tires ($80 for all four off craigslist). They are not good in the snow! Way more slipping and sliding and the front wheels almost always plow straight ahead when trying to turn now. Definitely more challenging to drive. Now that I have a job, I'll have to start saving for a new set of proper off-road tires.

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
Had a really nasty drive after work Friday, yesterday. Only a couple inches of snow, but lots of traffic, and a couple inches before the road crews got to it. My whole drive, about 50 miles, was really nasty conditions, packed snow from cars.

I was there at the same time they shot this, on the side that's pretty much stopped.
http://www.wtae.com/weather/Slow-going-for-drivers-on-Parkway-West/-/9682608/18281400/-/format/rsss_2.0/-/1095ogbz/-/index.html

I started out on back roads in the country, hit I 79 north, then got off on the Parkway (in the video), through town, and north on 28, then back out in the country on roads that had 3-4 inches of snow on them, some no other tracks, some packed from other vehicles.

In this one, when they interview the girl in the car, was about when I was on the same road.

http://www.wtae.com/weather/Weather-roundup-Snowy-day-throughout-Pittsburgh/-/9682608/18285210/-/k6pjj6/-/index.html

I really had no problems at all, never slid, never slipped, never locked 4x4, I did use L gear for one hill, nothing felt bad enough to use down-hill-crawl. I had to watch out for all the other vehicles though. Tractor trailers were slid off the road, a couple against the medial. Cars in front of me, and a 4x4 pick-up, slipping and sliding, and I was worried they'd slide back into me.

·
8,141 Posts
March 2014……UK ……new Patriot owner and NO BLOODY SNOW!! If I had bought a little convertible we would have had 6ft !!!!!
That happens. I bought a '74 Cherokee in March '79 and didn't see a flake that year. Only got a few inches in '79-'80 and that was in October while we were in Florida on our honeymoon. Our plans for moving to a rural part of Maine fell through (just as well) and I traded for a Volare.

This year I made the mistake of taking the MIL's Saturn to work when they predicted snow showers. What we got was a mini-blizzard -- about 6" in two hours. The highway dept was caught flat-footed and it was all packed down before they got to it. My FWD Patriot would have had no problem, but I spent 2 hours praying I wouldn't have to come to a complete stop.

There's something going on here about reverse psychology -- seems washing my car in July is as good as a rain dance.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts