Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The shift lever (5 speed manual trans) seems to have lost it's mind. It is very loose and if I try to shift into first gear I'm actually in a higher gear (3rd maybe). If I try to put it into reverse I'm actually in a forward gear (2nd or 4th.).

It's not my car but my kids. He's only had it about 4 months so neither of us have much experience with this bad boy yet. I see there is some sort of shift lever assembly in the trans but I now nothing about it. Do they fail? I welcome any and all suggestions/ideas.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Update: after investigation, we removed the engine cover and the plastic covering of the gearshift knob. The transmission looks like the T355. Here's what I see.

The gear shift knob seems to have two cables connected to it. One cable actuates a lever on top of the trans when you push it forward and back and the other cable actuates another lever on top of the trans when you move the knob side to side (I think). The cable for side to side lever movement is not connected. It looks like whatever holds it in place broke off at the shift knob.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yep, new shift cables and or mounts, and you'll be good.
Thanks bud. I can't find these cables on any of the parts house web sites.

It looks like all I really need is whatever it is that holds the lateral shift cable to the shift lever. Is that part availlable? And what do you call it? I could be done by now if I could get that part. But I called the parts houses and they have no idea what I'm talking about. Same with their websites. The only shift cables I see are A/T cables.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are they bushings? I'm not sure if you could cross-reference transmissions, but it sounds like the same general setup for the T350 and T850, and if the "posts" are the same size you could pop some booger bushings in there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Are they bushings? I'm not sure if you could cross-reference transmissions, but it sounds like the same general setup for the T350 and T850, and if the "posts" are the same size you could pop some booger bushings in there.
Not sure what booger bushings are but am willing to give it a rip.

I've been digging into this and have found that this same issue is in other Mopar stuff. Jeep Wrangler shifters have the same problem apparently. The bushing that is missing is plastic and I don't even want to try to put another plastic one in there. What would be the point? The local dealer says that the bushing isn't sold separate and that I have to buy the cable set which is $125. Again, what's the point? Some Wrangler owners have had them fail in as low as 100 miles. There's gotta be a better way. I also find it hard to believe that I'm the first poster here to have this issue. Yet I can find nothing using the search feature.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think what you're looking for are dealer parts
Mopar #'s
05062120AF is the cable and bracket
68018106AA is the retainer clip

http://www.mopardealerparts.com/ has exploded diagrams for the parts.
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, the diagram that shows the cable end does not show the bushing. According to the local dealer, I would have to buy the entire cable assembly so that I could have a new cheap POS bushing. Can't see the point of doing that. The cable is a thick heavy duty cable but the bushing is crap. Poor engineering is all I can figure.

·
Registered
819 Posts
when i had my 2010 accent, i ordered some bushings online through a place that only made them for only certain cars. they totally rocked. some sort of metal versus the oem soft rubber.. they improved shift quality immensely.. that and the short throw shifter.. but the bushing did greatly improve the feel. I will take a look and see what i can find...

·
Registered
819 Posts
they make them for neons which had a similar trans as the patriot/compass. i bet the bushings they make for the neons will work on our jeeps.. I emailed them asking......

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
they make them for neons which had a similar trans as the patriot/compass. i bet the bushings they make for the neons will work on our jeeps.. I emailed them asking......
Did you ever hear anything? Those bushings look like good stuff and just what the Dr. ordered.

I did a lot of online reading and there's a nearly identical bushing issue with the transfer case shift cable in newer Wranglers. There was one guy that bought a handful of bushings and keeps them in his glove box. Another guy replaced one and it lasted 100 miles. What a POS design. The bushing for that Wrangler cable looks like it'll work on the Patriot and it's $5. I'm unsure because there wasn't any sign of a bushing in my kids Patriot when we took things apart. There was a broken zip tie though. I'm guessing someone fixed it before with a zip tie.

I almost went and picked one up one of them $5 bushings. I thought about it for a moment and figured it would be a waste to just put in another cheapo plastic bushing. We ended up fixing the issue by making a brass bushing that would fit in there and then locked it in place with a washer and circlip. Shifting is much better. No more grinding. I always wondered what was causing the occasional grinding.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Did you ever hear anything? Those bushings look like good stuff and just what the Dr. ordered.

I did a lot of online reading and there's a nearly identical bushing issue with the transfer case shift cable in newer Wranglers. There was one guy that bought a handful of bushings and keeps them in his glove box. Another guy replaced one and it lasted 100 miles. What a POS design. The bushing for that Wrangler cable looks like it'll work on the Patriot and it's $5. I'm unsure because there wasn't any sign of a bushing in my kids Patriot when we took things apart. There was a broken zip tie though. I'm guessing someone fixed it before with a zip tie.

I almost went and picked one up one of them $5 bushings. I thought about it for a moment and figured it would be a waste to just put in another cheapo plastic bushing. We ended up fixing the issue by making a brass bushing that would fit in there and then locked it in place with a washer and circlip. Shifting is much better. No more grinding. I always wondered what was causing the occasional grinding.
no word back from them. might call them. i would lobe to replace the bushings if it improved things and eliminated any chance of getting stranded due to a cheap made in china part. how did u take the trim off from around the shift lever?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
how did u take the trim off from around the shift lever?
1. The small piece that has the rubber boot just pops out. It's held in place at each corner with a clip.

2. The plastic piece that goes down to the floor is held in place at the top with two screws and at the bottom with a plastic nub that hooks into a hole in some sheet metal. You remove the two screws and then you have to pull it backward. You can only do that by removing the center console.

3. To remove the center console there are two screws in the back cubby and a couple more on the front sides (if I'm remembering correctly).

So I guess the order is 1-3-2 or 3-1-2.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I need help with this. My shifter cable is loose where the rubber boot covers it before it attaches to the transmission. I may have to replace the entire cable assembly but would rather not. Anyone have any experience with this?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts