Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been having a shaking problem under acceleration. It's not the bucking/missing issue that's usually posted.

So I first thought it was a CVT issue. Not much I can do about that.

Then I was told it may be a CV axle issue so I had both replaced. No improvement.

So, when I'm accelerating it feels like the engine is moving in the mounts. It feels like a side to side shake. The shake changes with the engine loads. Sometimes it's barely there and sometimes it's enough to shake the entire vehicle. Take your foot off the gas and it goes away.

It only happens while accelerating and under certain loads. All engine mounts are original.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That_phucker: What is the best way to check mounts? Will I see that they are worn? Can I test them somehow while still mounted?

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like I can buy all 4 mounts for around $125 so I may just go ahead and replace them all since they're original.

·
Registered
421 Posts
It looks like I can buy all 4 mounts for around $125 so I may just go ahead and replace them all since they're original.
Probably worth doing. At the very least, you'll hear less engine noise with the new, softer mounts.
To check the mounting bolts, try turning them with a wrench.
Use a prybar wherever you can to check the mounts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I've been having a shaking problem under acceleration. It's not the bucking/missing issue that's usually posted.

So I first thought it was a CVT issue. Not much I can do about that.

Then I was told it may be a CV axle issue so I had both replaced. No improvement.

So, when I'm accelerating it feels like the engine is moving in the mounts. It feels like a side to side shake. The shake changes with the engine loads. Sometimes it's barely there and sometimes it's enough to shake the entire vehicle. Take your foot off the gas and it goes away.

It only happens while accelerating and under certain loads. All engine mounts are original.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Did u ever figure out the cause? I’m having the same issue on a 09 Patriot I’ve changed the ball joints both axles struts complete alignment new tires and balanced and still doing the same...

·
Administrator
5,830 Posts
Did u ever figure out the cause? I’m having the same issue on a 09 Patriot I’ve changed the ball joints both axles struts complete alignment new tires and balanced and still doing the same...
You might take a look at the brake rotors to see if they are warped if a caliper is causing a pad to drag.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You might take a look at the brake rotors to see if they are warped if a caliper is causing a pad to drag.

The rotors are fine as well and also the brake pads where changed before but if it was a stuck caliper it would be smoking or pulling to one side... I get no vibration on steering wheel I juss feel it towards my feet and the floor of the car

·
Administrator
5,830 Posts
The rotors are fine as well and also the brake pads where changed before but if it was a stuck caliper it would be smoking or pulling to one side... I get no vibration on steering wheel I juss feel it towards my feet and the floor of the car
Alright then, sounds like you've got the bases pretty well covered.

Aside from motor mounts, if you have a 4x4 there are universal joints on the drive shaft to the rear wheels that might be causing vibration on acceleration if they're worn.

You could also try running the vehicle on jack stands or a lift and see if that helps locate the problem. Other than that nothing else comes to mind.

Sorry I can't be more help, perhaps someone else can chime in with another suggestion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Alright then, sounds like you've got the bases pretty well covered.

Aside from motor mounts, if you have a 4x4 there are universal joints on the drive shaft to the rear wheels that might be causing vibration on acceleration if they're worn.

You could also try running the vehicle on jack stands or a lift and see if that helps locate the problem. Other than that nothing else comes to mind.

Sorry I can't be more help, perhaps someone else can chime in with another suggestion.

I haven’t had a chance to look at it yet again but it’s 2wd so it dosent have a shaft but haven’t look at the mounts I have to inspect that

·
Registered
5 Posts
So my Jeep Patriot 2009 vibrates upon acceleration from a stop and after driving not vibration nothing drives smooth from expresssway or in town juss have that vibration upon acceleration

·
Super Moderator
8,520 Posts
Is it shaking or a misfire? Patriot plug interval is 30,000 -- maybe stretch it to 40,000 -- but if its only doing it while accelerating it could be misfiring. Misfire on acceleration/load could also be a symptom of a failing coil pack.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is it shaking or a misfire? Patriot plug interval is 30,000 -- maybe stretch it to 40,000 -- but if its only doing it while accelerating it could be misfiring. Misfire on acceleration/load could also be a symptom of a failing coil pack.

Not a misfire plugs was changed about 4 months ago and I get vibration around the floor area in front but on when I accelerate from a dead stop but as driving no vibration

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well mine Jitters and stutters and and the nox when I'm going from 35 to 45 from 65 to 75. Usually only when I have the pedal push down so I have a nice level acceleration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I gapped the spark plugs. They were way off! they're supposed to be 0.40-0.42 they were at .50 -.70 and it runs fine now😎

·
Super Moderator
8,520 Posts
So I gapped the spark plugs. They were way off! they're supposed to be 0.40-0.42 they were at .50 -.70 and it runs fine now😎
Welcome! The first time I changed the plugs in my '08 Patriot the gaps on my OEM plugs were all over the board, but I don't think as far as yours. Plugs are only 30,000 miles on these engines, but changing them is a cinch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not a misfire plugs was changed about 4 months ago and I get vibration around the floor area in front but on when I accelerate from a dead stop but as driving no vibration
Check to see if your struts have been replaced, i know it sounds crazy. Measure the ride hight front VS Rear, if the front is higher that the rear, the struts/springs have been replaced and the aftermarket ones are 2" higher at ride height than factory. Just went through this with a 2007 Limited. Replaced the struts, developed a bad vibration under acceleration, just like a bad cv axle makes. Replaced both axles, with no change to the issue. Measured out the ride height and discovered the issue. Replaced the "AFTERMARKET" quick strut springs with the OEM ones, and the issue is resolved. I Sure as hell hope this helps someone, or alot of you guys.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts