Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 Jeep Patriot shakes. I don’t know how to explain it. It’s fine when I’m driving but if I’m stoped at a red light holding the brake she shakes. If I put her in neutral or park she’s fine. It’s just when I’m holding the brake. Does this make sense? Does anyone know what’s up with that? My mechanic is a bit dismissive. Also I think the tubes that from the windshield wiper fluid are clogged because the tank is full but nothing comes out. Does anyone know how i can fix this? Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

·
Administrator
6,192 Posts
Welcome

The shaking at a stop light is common. It could be weak motors mounts. There's been discussions here about it possibly being idle speed set too low.

As far as the washers go, take the tubes off the nozzle and see if anything comes out of the hose, if it does then the nozzles are clogged, if not then work it back to the tank.

·
Super Moderator
8,662 Posts
First off, I see you're new here. Welcome to the site!

I agree with your mechanic. If there was something wrong he'd be glad to fix and and make some money. A dishonest mechanic would do that. Looks to me like you've got a good one.

Motor mounts seem premature. In my experience mounts are usually good for 150,000 miles, but of course I'm not looking at yours so I can't be sure. Again, your mechanic would be glad to make some money by replacing them so if he thinks they're OK, I'd believe him.

As Sandstone said, it is normal for an automatic transmission to shake at idle when in Drive. The engine is putting out its least amount of power at idle and it is working against your brakes that are holding the car in place, such as at a stop light.

That said, Patriot spark plugs are only good for 30,000 miles and if you're driving a 2015 you may be due or overdue to have them replaced. Replacing plugs are an easy DIY job (there are threads on here about that) or if you pay someone it shouldn't be expensive.

As for the washer, if you can hear the motor trying then it means your lines have a problem somewhere. The only option is to check the lines till you find a clog or a break. Also an easy DIY job.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Patriot, North Ed.
338 Posts
The shake is very common with Patriots and isn't a concern. Mine has done it for the last 5 yrs without any problems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all of you. I’ve look at other posts about the motors mounts and sounds the same. Yes my mechanic is a good one I’m just always worried because cars are expensive if you wait to fix problems at the last minute.
The washer, one side comes out at a reduced flow and the other doesn’t come out at all. So that means a clog correct? Or a break. I shall check for both. Thank you!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It could be either. I had the same problem and it turned out to be a broken nozzle leaking fluid inside the engine compartment.
THIS IS WHAT IT IS! I just found the break. Mostly on the hood with a small piece stuck in the tube still. How did you fix it? My cousin is telling me to take the small piece out of the tube and the tie it with a zip tie to the piece still connected to the hood.

·
Administrator
6,192 Posts
Mine broke differently than yours. I tried Gorilla gluing it first and that worked for about a week before it started leaking again so I ended up spending $30 for a new one.

Your cousin has a good idea, it's worth a try at least for a temp fix. One problem is the end of the nozzle tube has a barb to keep the hose from slipping off which is the part that broke off.
You might think about serrating the tube with the edge of a file so the hose will sink into the grooves a little when the zip tie is tightened.

Also look into adding extra zip ties, etc. to support the section of hose leading up to the nozzle, so the nozzle isn't bearing so much force from the weight of the hose while the hood is bouncing around when waiting at the stop light.

·
Administrator
6,192 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2015 Jeep Patriot shakes. I don’t know how to explain it. It’s fine when I’m driving but if I’m stoped at a red light holding the brake she shakes. If I put her in neutral or park she’s fine. It’s just when I’m holding the brake. Does this make sense? Does anyone know what’s up with that? My mechanic is a bit dismissive. Also I think the tubes that from the windshield wiper fluid are clogged because the tank is full but nothing comes out. Does anyone know how i can fix this? Any info would be helpful. Thanks!
My Patriot is a 2015 4x4 High altitude and it has done the same thing since the day I bought it. It must normal for the Patriot. As far as the washer fluid lines, mine clogged up also and I just took loose each end and blew out the line with a air compressor. I took a bread tie and stripped the plastic off it and cleaned out the nozzles with it, I’m sure you could find something else that would work that’s just what I had at the time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
2011 Latitude 4x4...shakes at stop lights periodically also. It used to concern me but I've read many places that its normal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts