Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My jeep was just in shop for wheel bering and sensor. I had it back one day now the 4WD! Light is on. I noticed my husband spilled coffee on the lock switch. Could this cause the service light to come on. The switch was literally sitting in the puddle.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,640 Posts
It's possible. Take it to an auto parts store like Autozone where they'll usually scan codes for free. See what the code is that's setting the light. If it turns out to be caused by the coffee spill, the switch can sometimes be cleaned with rubbing alcohol. With the Jeep turned off (or even better if the battery is disconnected, isopropyl alcohol is extremely flammable) pour some alcohol onto the switch while working it up and down. Then give it at least 30 minutes to dry and the fumes to dissipate and see if it's better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's possible. Take it to an auto parts store like Autozone where they'll usually scan codes for free. See what the code is that's setting the light. If it turns out to be caused by the coffee spill, the switch can sometimes be cleaned with rubbing alcohol. With the Jeep turned off (or even better if the battery is disconnected, isopropyl alcohol is extremely flammable) pour some alcohol onto the switch while working it up and down. Then give it at least 30 minutes to dry and the fumes to dissipate and see if it's better.
I took it to have the code read and it didnt throw a code. We cleaned the switch but there is still some sticky residue. While cleaning, the light went out and stayed off for a bit. When we got back in to go home the light came back on. Since then it pretty much stays on. Except I was driving last night and had the heat on bc I was freezing. When the cabin warmed up the light went off and stayed off the rest of the night. But this morning it is back on. It just seems to me that its something with this coffee as it the light came on a day after spilling it. He didnt know the coffee had gotten in the space in front of the switch so it sat overnight before i noticed and cleaned it. Other than that it was in the shop 2 days prior for bearing and wheel speed sensor.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,640 Posts
Well, it certainly seems like the switch is the culprit. If you or someone you know is a little handy, you can take the switch off and soak it in alcohol or just replace it. To remove it, the console/armrest needs to be removed. Which is actually pretty simple, it's just held in by two screws at the bottom of the storage compartment. You remove the screws, then the entire console part lifts up from the rear. You just need to be careful because there's some wires that run up to the cup holders and of course the switch. It's easier to remove with the parking brake applied and the seats pushed all the way up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it certainly seems like the switch is the culprit. If you or someone you know is a little handy, you can take the switch off and soak it in alcohol or just replace it. To remove it, the console/armrest needs to be removed. Which is actually pretty simple, it's just held in by two screws at the bottom of the storage compartment. You remove the screws, then the entire console part lifts up from the rear. You just need to be careful because there's some wires that run up to the cup holders and of course the switch. It's easier to remove with the parking brake applied and the seats pushed all the way up.
would that cause it not to have a code?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so we cleaned the button some more. The light went off and stayed off all day yesterday. This morning when I started it the 4wd light was on indicating it was in 4wd. I pulled the switch and it went off and the 4wd! Came on a few seconds then went out and stayed off rest of trip. After work I started it and no lights. Drove about 20minutes and it put itself into 4wd . I pulled switch and it went out and the 4wd! Came on for few seconds. It continued cycling like this for the rest of the ride. About 5 minutes. When I got home I ran my finger under the switch and it still has some residue. I used an alcohol wipe and got some more off. Husband drove to work and no lights. Is it ok to drive with it cycling like this? I can't get it into the shop until next week because of the holiday.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so we cleaned the button some more. The light went off and stayed off all day yesterday. This morning when I started it the 4wd light was on indicating it was in 4wd. I pulled the switch and it went off and the 4wd! Came on a few seconds then went out and stayed off rest of trip. After work I started it and no lights. Drove about 20minutes and it put itself into 4wd . I pulled switch and it went out and the 4wd! Came on for few seconds. It continued cycling like this for the rest of the ride. About 5 minutes. When I got home I ran my finger under the switch and it still has some residue. I used an alcohol wipe and got some more off. Husband drove to work and no lights. Is it ok to drive with it cycling like this? I can't get it into the shop until next week because of the holiday.

Also when looking at the switch it seems uneven. The side near the driver seat sits high than the passenger side. Almost like the one side isn't going down all the way.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Aside from being annoying, it will be fine to drive like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts